AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Red City Radio - The Dangers of Standing Still Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.11
Musicianship 9.11
Lyrics 8.79
Production 9.18
Creativity 8.82
Lasting Value 9.04
Reviewer Tilt 8.82
Average: 90%
Inside AP.net

Red City Radio - The Dangers of Standing Still

Reviewed by: Matthew Tsai (02/22/11)
Red City RadioThe Dangers of Standing Still
Record Label: Paper + Plastick
Release Date: February 22nd, 2011

Since their fall EP Spinning In Circles is A Gateway Drug, Red City Radio have somehow gotten even more punk rock. On The Dangers of Standing Still, they’re still playing pop-punk, but they roll through fatter and heftier PBR anthems – more Off With Their Heads-style bulk, less pop bounce. The effect this subtle modification had on their energy? Strictly positive. The Dangers of Standing Still is 35+ minutes of burly punk razing, where crisp chords and cascading bass lines meet hooks the size of the sun. It’s a thorough razing, too. The rallying theme of the first quarter of the album already begs for destruction: “Together, we can burn this fucking city to the ground!”

Not that there’s a need to limit music to seasons, but The Dangers of Standing Still bears the markings of a summer album. Relatable lyrics about life in general? Check (“We’ll take what we can get, we’re not taking it for granted,” “Count your blessings everyday and hold strong”). Metaphors and imagery? Check (“We’ll run on empty gasoline…,” “Drove all night through this town that pulls my heartstrings”). Philosophical theses that may or may not refer to subject matter that’s as epic as themselves? Check (“The system it wasn’t designed for us,” “We’re moving backwards, not forwards”). Cliché lyrics run amok, but it’s ok because they’ve never sounded as good as they do here, paired with vocals so gravelly they were probably carved from the Ozarks.

My current favorite is “Drinking Ourselves Into the Future,” a laidback strut that recalls The Gaslight Anthem’s “Old White Lincoln.” Both songs are bass driven, but this one’s more concerned with American values than it is with American fashion. “Forget the past and just let it go… We’re all patriots, we’re all neighbors in the end,” it says, and the whoah-oh’s that flank it make its smooth melody glorious. But tomorrow, I might favor “I’m Well, You’re Poison” and its inconceivably catchy chorus, or “Captioned for the Hearing Impaired,” where at least one member of the band does their best impression of a bear when they growl “Could you forgive me?” And it’d be shortsighted to forget “Nathaniel Martinez,” which might as well be titled “Ball of Energy.” I could go on and give accolades to each song, but here’s a summary: The Dangers of Standing Still is the year’s first genuinely stacked punk record.

It’s also, at the moment, the punk record to beat. That’s a tall order for many bands – not impossible, but far from a piece of cake. The Dangers of Standing Still might be Red City Radio’s debut full-length, but they’re already showing signs of veteran swagger. This album is seamlessly written and easy to root for, and those aren’t qualities you just master overnight. Neither, then, is it an album you can burn out overnight. Music is subjective and all, but unless you have an aversion to punk, The Dangers of Standing Still is the kind of debut that isn’t likely to leave your stereo in the foreseeable future.

Recommended If You LikeOff With Their Heads meet Latterman, The Sainte Catharines meet Broadway Calls, The Lawrence Arms meet The Swellers
Track list1. An Introduction of Sorts
2. The Benefits of Motion
3. Two for Flinching
4. Spinning In Circles is A Gateway Drug
5. Too Much Whiskey Not Enough Blankets
6. 50th & Western
7. I'm Well, You're Poison
8. Captioned for the Hearing Impaired
9. This Day Has Seen Better Bars
10. Drinking Ourselves Into the Future
11. Talk Me to Sleep
12. Nathaniel Martinez

Find Red City Radio on facebook.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
11:21 PM on 02/22/11
Castle Builders
Been fly since I was a young larvae
User Info.
Listening to it now. Idk, it will probably grow on me but right now, you're right, it doesn't have as bouncy choruses. I'll give it a second listen.
01:31 AM on 02/23/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
This album is retardedly good. I can't believe how much I've listened to "I'm Poison, You're Well." That song is completely out of control.
02:51 AM on 02/23/11
BlinkNFG15
User Info.
Definitely my favorite album of the year so far. It embodies everything I have ever liked about punk rock and just added upon it exponentially. There is nothing is nothing better than driving around with the windows down, even if it is 20 something degrees, and singing along to this because when you are caught up in the moment everything everything is all right in the world.
03:33 AM on 02/23/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Never heard of them till now - Checked them out and really liking it. Thanks!
04:49 AM on 02/23/11
cshadows2887
User Info.
Really good review for a great album. Though I'd dispute the gripe about the lyrics. I think they're pretty effective. Certainly moved me.

And one of the most remarkable things about this record is the abundance of three (and more)-part-harmony. Paired with music this raucous and a voice this gruff, it's pretty uniquely awesome.
05:24 AM on 02/23/11
websterscott
User Info.
Are broadway calls still going?
06:15 AM on 02/23/11
So-Crates
Registered Member
User Info.
Gonna check this out
06:24 AM on 02/23/11
heyguys123
User Info.
Are broadway calls still going?
i believe they're recording at the moment
06:39 AM on 02/23/11
highfidelity203
Registered Member
User Info.
This record is awesome
07:48 AM on 02/23/11
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
Definitely a lot of energy, I just hope the songs don't blend together for me.
08:01 AM on 02/23/11
bradsonemanband
Change To Fire/Cootie Catcher
User Info.
reminds me of Latterman. i dig. a lot.
09:01 AM on 02/23/11
KabirManzano
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Este disco me dejó impresionado. Aplausos y ovaciones para ellos. Así se toca.
09:22 AM on 02/23/11
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
Hate the vocal so much. Was really hoping the hype would check out on this one.
09:24 AM on 02/23/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Love them, good review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives