AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 91%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9.53
Production 9.44
Creativity 8.94
Lasting Value 9.47
Reviewer Tilt 9.61
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety

Reviewed by: Samanthaesg (02/23/11)
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: June 15, 2004

Throughout Underoath’s existence, they have exhausted many members, and with each new member came a slightly new sound. In their 2004 album They’re Only Chasing Safety, you get more of a poppy feel than you get from their most recent album Disambiguation, which lacks the clean vocals provided by Gillespie that many identify the band by.

From “Young and Aspiring” - a powerful start to the album - to “Some Will Seek Forgiveness,” which ends on a calm note (but not lacking the properly placed build up); there is never a boring minute. In the beginning of “A Boy Brushed Red - Living in Black and White,” the sound of the guitar mimics the tone of the lyrics: “Do you feel your heart beat racing/Do you taste the fear in her sweat.” The rest of the song’s subject matter is somewhat cryptic; with lines like “In this moment we both ignore the truth/ it’s all over,” one can gather that the song is about making a mistake that changes everything. Thankfully, Underoath also lacks the common use of “get down” or “oh” before going into a breakdown- rather they use phrases such as “Don’t shake, I’d hate to see you tremble,” which has a lot more meaning.

The Blue Note fades in with melancholy and reverb-filled instrumental that made me think of what the beautifully ominous choir vocals confirmed: “drowning in my sleep, I’m drowning in my sleep” - another clever break-down beginning.

In other songs, the meaning is more clear than A Boy Brushed Red. “Down, Set, Go” starts off with “I had the whole world in my hands but I gave it away,” which is a reference to the children’s song about God having the world in His hands - inferring that he had accepted God but turned away. This song demonstrates the tone of the lyrics with the ominous sounding guitar notes and heavier sound than the previous songs; thus necessitating Chamberlain to take the wheel with vocals.

But just because the band has religious lyrics does not mean you have to be religious to listen. The musical technicality shown in every song through the bass and guitars, complex timing in songs such as “Impact of Reason,” plus the tasteful use of electronics (see “Reinventing Your Exit” especially) , Chamberlain’s skillful screams, and Gillespie’s intricate and hard hitting drums, it’s enough to get anyone’s ear.

Recommended If You Like The Chariot, Underoath’s Define the Great Line

Track Listing 1. Young and Aspiring
2. A Boy Brushed Red... Living In Black And White
3. The Impact Of Reason
4. Reinventing Your Exit
5. The Blue Note
6. It’s Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door
7. Down, Set, Go
8. I Don’t Feel Very Receptive Today
9. I’m Content With Losing
10. Some Will Seek Forgiveness, Others Escape

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
04:05 PM on 03/05/11
karadoll
Open up a little happiness today.
User Info.
Quote:
But just because the band has religious lyrics does not mean you have to be religious to listen.
This so much.

Love this album.
05:17 PM on 03/05/11
floormaster925
don't stick around
User Info.
i would have to agree with this, underoath does sound an awful lot like underoath
01:06 AM on 03/06/11
red8ge
Registered Member
User Info.
This is a very necessary review. Thank you for filling the seven year gap.
11:22 PM on 03/06/11
sublime_theory
User Info.
Classic gold. Still one of the best albums in the genre and completely relevant
01:25 AM on 03/07/11
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
i would have to agree with this, underoath does sound an awful lot like underoath
ahahahaaa
01:27 AM on 03/07/11
eatbabiesyum
Registered Infant Consumer
User Info.
still trying to get into their older stuff, i havn't been able to get into much besides their newest album, which i thought was awesome. i really dug the darker, moodier, and even southern influenced sound it had.
12:20 AM on 03/09/11
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
oh, to be 16 again. i don't listen to underoath much at all anymore (or much heavy music in general), but this album will always be nostalgic for me. i remember everyone flipping out about it when it first came out. i could easily go on about how many memories are attached to this album.
01:26 PM on 03/18/11
melgosa41
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Amazing album but i still miss cries of the past
07:59 PM on 03/23/11
Whatareyoudylan
User Info.
This is a very necessary review. Thank you for filling the seven year gap.
I was always wondering what the general consensus of this album was
02:36 AM on 04/29/11
drzafs
spinning free
User Info.
As much as I love this album, it led to a LOT of shitty music by other bands trying to be this.
Also this sounds nothing like the Chariot.
12:19 PM on 08/28/11
iebeltje
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives