Album Review

The Great Valley - Ruthless Album Cover

The Great Valley - Ruthless

Reviewed by
The Great Valley - Ruthless
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 1, 2011

Who?
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Great Valley is a pop-punk band from Wilmington, Delaware consisting of two brothers, Nick and Louis Matos. They made their debut with the Wrecking Ball EP but have released Ruthless for our listening pleasure.

How is it?
If you're expecting "Wrecking Ball Part 2," you're sorely mistaken. The band ditched the breakdowns to capture a more traditional rock vibe. While I was a huge fan of the Wrecking Ball EP, I welcomed the change with an open mind and ears. Simply put: This is mature pop-punk in the vein of Valencia and Go Radio.

The 8 track EP is a deeply personal album, as it touches on many subjects like family issues, the state of the music industry, and more. The lead single is "Dirty Work" and it's not to be confused with All Time Low. When I first heard the song, I got a huge Sugarcult vibe. It felt like I was listening to Palm Trees and Power Lines. One of my favorite lines is "Every day is a battle against myself in my head and I'm sick of it." It's a dark line that points to our often insecure selves and question how we live our lives to the standards of others. The song instantly sticks in your head as Louis belts out "You played it safe/While I did the dirty work."

Another standout track is the opening song, "Yesterday." This track could have been mistaken for a Valencia song from We All Need A Reason To Believe. The group "Whoas" alongside the "We're alive/And we're here" hits you so hard. The song's theme is all about hope and looking towards a better tomorrow and the mood is easily captured in this at the end when they chant "Together we'll get through this."

This is a band that definitely shows the potential for great things. Their music is catchy enough to be accessible for many different people but isn't so poppy where it alienates an older audience. Like I said, this is a more mature pop-punk album for people that liked The Starting Line's Direction but wished it brought the pop sensibility and youthful exuberance of Valencia's This Could Be A Possibility.

RIYLValencia, Sugarcult, The Starting Line, Go Radio

LinksFacebook

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
09:09 AM on 03/01/11
brandon_260
User Info.
I really want to hear this, and review made me even more pumped. Is it available on physical?
09:11 AM on 03/01/11
TheItalianLuigi
User Info.
I really want to hear this, and review made me even more pumped. Is it available on physical?
Not yet, it will be available in it's physical form in a few weeks! Thank you Christian for an awesome review!
09:28 AM on 03/01/11
brandon_260
User Info.
Not yet, it will be available in it's physical form in a few weeks! Thank you Christian for an awesome review!
Sweet deal! Thanks man
02:54 PM on 03/01/11
John_Barnes
I'm not a self help book.
User Info.
I don't mind it being a departure from the EP sound as long as it still sounds good. Can't wait to get this!
12:12 PM on 03/02/11
spezialk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I don't mind it being a departure from the EP sound as long as it still sounds good. Can't wait to get this!
It's a huge step forward.. Been listening to it nonstop since grabbing it yesterday on iTunes. Christian definitely nailed it when he used the term "mature."
05:12 PM on 03/05/11
Giuseppe
Italy
User Info.
I've just given a listen to some songs...Nice, I like them. The genre may be saturated, but still they manage to stand out from the average mediocrity.
11:19 PM on 03/07/11
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
I hope this gets a lot more attention, it's great pop punk. "Dirty Work" is one of the best songs of the year so far for me.
01:30 AM on 03/08/11
roughroads
Sometimes you gotta pee in the sink
User Info.
Really happy about this find, solid EP forsure.
Can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.
07:15 PM on 03/08/11
Badgers08
U look hot enuff to cook a pizza on
User Info.
This EP is right up my alley. Exactly my cup of tea.
05:11 AM on 03/10/11
AlexJLow
User Info.
Just got this... unbelievably good. Band needs recognition big time
07:55 AM on 05/03/11
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
Holy cow. What a great EP. So glad I picked this up.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos