Username
Password

Album Review

Radiohead - The King of Limbs Album Cover

Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Reviewed by
RadioheadThe King of Limbs
Record Label: self-released/XL
Release Date: February 18, 2011 (digital) March 29, 2011 (CD/LP)
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
No matter how much you love or hate Radiohead, they continue to unravel their own expectations of what they can create. They continue to keep us in suspense of what comes next. This is all coming from an average Radiohead fan. I've never seen them. I don't celebrate their entire catalog. I just believe they write some of the most creative and intelligent music still out there. While I don't believe they'll ever surpass the greatness of OK Computer, and its glitchy follow-up, Kid A, they continue to find who they are. Even this far in their career, I don't even think Radiohead know who they are, how they want to be remembered or even how to continually fight becoming stale in their own writing. They just seem to do it.

With the release of The King of Limbs, not much has changed. In easy comparison to Amnesiac, the album offers up harmonic melodies twined together to create tribal, yet fluid atmospheres of music. When the album is at its heaviest, the upbeat guitar swill and full sounding rhythm section of "Little by Little," you're then drugged mostly from here on out. "Feral" throws you into frantic and possible confusion. The mix on the track is the best part of it. Effects, voices and tones are brought forward and back. You can almost feel yourself part of the song and physically feeling the experience of getting through it. Nothing stays stale throughout.

Much like "Pyramid Song," "How to Disappear Completely" and "Videotape," "Codex" is the album's beautiful ballad. As for comparison, it makes the rest sound flat. What Radiohead has done on The King of Limbs is figure out how to fill the room with sound, instead of just playing against it. This is where the band shines beyond their creations, but more so in the way the songs are presented and mixed. In a distribution world where compression and ear buds rule supreme to the mainstream public, a few of us long for substance in our addiction.

From when "Bloom" does what its name implies to open the album, to the determination in the rhythmic flow of "Morning Mr. Magpie," Radiohead show how they continue to be confident while still learning what they can be as a band. Even though much of The King of Limbs will remind you of this Radiohead album or that Radiohead b-side, it's still Radiohead. No band should ever be afraid to explore and expand, but Radiohead is one shining example of progressive success. The best part is the band also have the moxie and skills to pull their creations off, even if fans expectations continue to build on the past. I don't see there being another band like Radiohead for some time. Almost two decades later, and they prove why everyone continues to keep tabs and standards for not only the band, but everyone around trying to live up to the influence.

Track List1. Bloom*
2. Morning Mr. Magpie
3. Little by Little*
4. Feral*
5. Lotus Flower
6. Codex**
7. Give Up the Ghost
8. Separator

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeTrent Reznor and Atticus Ross - The Social Network OST; "These Are My Twisted Words" single; Four Tet's Rounds

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
12:46 AM on 03/02/11
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
I can't write a grand P4K review on this one. I'm a big fan of Radiohead's hard rock side, so this album is pretty subjective in that it's not my usual taste for the band. That said, I've really grown into this record. The mixing on it is just as good as the compositions themselves.
06:17 AM on 03/02/11
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Not proud of the fact that I STILL haven't listened to this.
06:54 AM on 03/02/11
deanster321
BLEGH
User Info.
Enjoyed reading this. I really really like what's there, although I kinda hope that the speculation that this is the first part of something bigger is true.
12:48 PM on 03/02/11
OnaedInSpace
she sucked and sucked and sucked.
User Info.
its not a very cohesive album. seems like a bunch of songs they had rolled into an album. i still think there is more to come from this project. i feel like they are still recording and when the actual physical album comes out there will be more songs on it
01:05 PM on 03/02/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
its not a very cohesive album. seems like a bunch of songs they had rolled into an album. i still think there is more to come from this project. i feel like they are still recording and when the actual physical album comes out there will be more songs on it
you do make a point that I failed to mention in that it is NOT cohesive at all. I'm just now reading about the "theories" of more to come now...

if there is more to come, I'm interested in seeing how this plays out as a new distribution model of releasing music...
02:57 PM on 03/02/11
CoopDawg
Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy! Lunacy!
User Info.
Nice review. This is my favorite album of the year so far.
06:05 PM on 03/02/11
HeavenResign
Registered Member
User Info.
Kudos on this review. Radiohead have got to be one of the hardest bands to write reviews for; especially this album.
07:42 PM on 03/02/11
CoheedForever
The Afterman
User Info.
Good review. Absolutely love this album!
07:48 PM on 03/02/11
teebs41
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
is the idea that everyone wants there to be more from this project mean that there are a lot of clues left, or is the fan base too proud to admit they are not happy with the record. I personally like it but it seems like people are grasping at straws that there might be another half to it... Maybe there will be b sides but that is normal.
02:10 AM on 03/03/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
This won't go down as a classic but can you imagine another band coming out with this? It's phenomenal for what it is, if you can't look past OK Computer and Kid A, then listen to them another 1000 times. Not you specifically Adam, you as in anyone disappointed.
04:02 AM on 03/03/11
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Really can't get into this yet again. Pablo Honey, Amnesiac, Hail To The Thief, King of Limbs are all sub par for me at best. They have of course some impeccable albums, but I fear that there's starting to be more I dislike than love.
11:27 AM on 03/03/11
Adam Pfleider
User Info.
This won't go down as a classic but can you imagine another band coming out with this? It's phenomenal for what it is, if you can't look past OK Computer and Kid A, then listen to them another 1000 times. Not you specifically Adam, you as in anyone disappointed.
no, you make a good point. OK Comp and Kid A's timing - to come out around what else was coming out - that's going to be hard to top, but like you said, it's still a great album for what its worth....again, the production on this one is where it is at...
04:15 PM on 03/03/11
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Really can't get into this yet again. Pablo Honey, Amnesiac, Hail To The Thief, King of Limbs are all sub par for me at best. They have of course some impeccable albums, but I fear that there's starting to be more I dislike than love.
Hail is my fav Radiohead album haha.
12:19 AM on 03/04/11
nineinchsin
Don't take it seriously
User Info.
(Good) Morning Mr. Magpie

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles