AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Funeral For A Friend - 03.05.11

Interviewed by
Funeral For A Friend - 03.05.11A recent addition to Funeral For A Friend, Gavin Burrough has kindly taken some of his time to answer some of our members' questions, ranging from the differences in the band's personnel, their recent tours and their upcoming album, Welcome Home Armageddon.

If you had to describe the band to someone who has never listened to you before, what would you say?

There’s a definite melancholy feel to our tracks, as a band our tastes are very eclectic and we endeavor to incorporate a lot of different genres into our music. We can punish you with our metallic, angular riffs, and also seduce you with our serene melodies.

How have your recent tours been going? Been through Europe and even Brazil...

We toured with our friends in Bullet For My Valentine across Europe which was a great, they were mine and Rich's first proper shows in our new rolls as guitarist and bassist. Prior, we were busy recording our record, so it was nice to finally get out there and play some new songs with the new line up. Brazil was a real eye opener for us, it really astounds me how far reaching grasp this band has, it's awesome to go somewhere you have never ever been before and people are singing the words to your songs.

They say being big in Brazil is the new Big in Japan you know…

I love Japan and Brazil so hopefully there's room for us in both!

Best show in 2010/11?

So far I would have to say Inferno Club in Sao Paulo, which definitely lived up to its name It must of been the hottest show we have played. There was such an amazing atmosphere there that night and I think we really fed off that, we were lucky enough to catch it all on our video for "Front Row Seats To The End Of The World". Great memories!

Do you guys have any pre-show band rituals?

Nothing really interesting, we all warm up by playing our instruments. Matt has a vocal warm up routine that he goes through on his iPod. I suppose generally we just try and get into the zone a bit, everyone is a bit quieter that 20mins or so before a show.

Does it get annoying hearing fans always going on about wanting a Casually Dressed version 2.0?

Never annoying, it's a great album and we are thankful that people still appreciate it. However, we are not in this to reiterate what we have done in the past, we are all about moving forward at the moment, but that doesn't say it's not nice to take a look back over your shoulder now and again.

From what we’ve heard on The Young And Defenseless EP and the couple of songs off Welcome Home Armageddon there seems to be a distinguishable return to heavier material; was this a conscious decision?

Yes most definitely, it's the first album that me and Rich have had a hand in doing and this was something that we wanted to bring back to the table. There was an energy and sense of emergency that perhaps was lacking from the previous two efforts, Tales... and Memory..., as a band we really wanted this record to be more direct and in your face.

Have the departures of Darren and Gareth affected the song writing process?

Well its hard for me to comment as I wasn't in the band when Gareth was a member and only wrote a few songs when Darran was in the band. However the core writing was always done by Kris, Matt and Ryan so that side hasn't really suffered, if anything made stronger as me and Rich have both written our fair share of tunes for the album. We've been in 2 different bands (Ghostlines, Hondo Maclean) with Ryan and Kris and I were also in another band prior to funeral, so it was kinda like putting on an old pair of shoes again.

How have the new members brought in their own ‘flavor’ in song writing and styles?

Well, I'm first to admit that I wasn't the best bass player out there, so I was happy to move onto my more comfortable instrument of guitar and make way for Rich who is insanely talented. He has really solidified the rhythm section of the band putting a groove behind the guitar onslaught. I think Kris and I work really well together, he's had a new lease of life, playing a lot of the lead lines on the record which has probably put a different dynamic on things previous.

Now that you’re independent is there a difference in how you notice the affect of album sales?

Memory and Humanity was brought out independently in the UK, but the new album is coming out on Distiller Records there, Good Fight in USA and Roadrunner the rest of the world. I suppose record sales in general have taken a turn for the worse, there is a growing culture of kids who are getting brought up to think that music is free, downloading more than anything has probably harmed our record sales.

How is pledgemusic working out for you and why did you choose to use it?

Great! I think it's an exciting platform in which fans can interact with the band and vice versa in a new and different way. We got to tailor our campaign exactly how we wanted it, that was important to us, it's nice to offer something different other than what you can get with just a normal release.

Any tours planned for 2011? Anywhere you’ve not been yet that you’d like to go to?

Yeah, where going to South Africa march 5th for 10 days, it's great going to places we have never been before. One of the best things about being in a band is that you get to travel the world, normally our touring cycle starts in the UK, so it's nice to be doing it a little differently this time. After that we are back in the UK for a month then across to mainland Europe for another month. Loads of festivals then planned for the summer.

When you guys look at the scene around you today, how do you feel?

I think it's better than it has been for a while, especially here where we are in the UK. There are loads of amazing bands, in lots of different genres, check out Rise to Remain and Tiger Please, they are supporting us on our upcoming UK tour.

What are your most anticipated albums for 2011?

Here are a few, Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues, R.E.M - Collapse Into Now, The Shins, Blink 182.

What would it take to convince you to play at a mate's birthday house party in Cardiff?

I’m a good friend, I would do it for free. O.K. maybe not free...a crate of beers!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
02:08 AM on 03/04/11
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Nice to see a few lineup changes hasn't affected them too much and they're happy. Hopefully they'll be back to playing the big rooms over here soon enough.
02:40 AM on 03/04/11
xgrefx
I believe in Richard Parker.
User Info.
Absolutely cannot wait to see these guys next week in South Africa. Just wish the new album was out so I'd know some of the new songs better!

Gareth's vocals were great on the new track on Your History is Mine, so here's hoping for more on the new album.
02:49 AM on 03/04/11
Poll
User Info.
Stoked for the new record, one of my all time favourite bands.
03:35 AM on 03/04/11
Maxwell
awefaeeeeeeef
User Info.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!! I cannot believe you actually asked them to play my birthday! Amazing.
04:25 AM on 03/04/11
PetitnaindesÎles
Kaneki-kun, BON APPÉTIT
User Info.
Absolutely cannot wait to see these guys next week in South Africa. Just wish the new album was out so I'd know some of the new songs better!

Gareth's vocals were great on the new track on Your History is Mine, so here's hoping for more on the new album.
You meant Gavin ? Gareth isn't in the band since 2008.

Anyway the new line-up change is the best thing that happened to them.
04:32 AM on 03/04/11
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
If they play a house party in Cardiff, I am so crashing it.
06:18 AM on 03/04/11
suicidalmoose
Lindsay let me kiss your forehead!
User Info.
damn those kids
07:19 AM on 03/04/11
Paty
User Info.
This part:

"Best show in 2010/11?

So far I would have to say Inferno Club in Sao Paulo, which definitely lived up to its name It must of been the hottest show we have played. There was such an amazing atmosphere there that night and I think we really fed off that, we were lucky enough to catch it all on our video for "Front Row Seats To The End Of The World". Great memories!"

I was there! It was an insane night! *nostalgic*
Great interview, peeps! (y)
01:21 PM on 03/04/11
xgrefx
I believe in Richard Parker.
User Info.
You meant Gavin ? Gareth isn't in the band since 2008.

Anyway the new line-up change is the best thing that happened to them.
Correct on both accounts!
02:38 PM on 03/04/11
spiffa0
Oh my God, it even has a watermark.
User Info.
Ugh no mention of a US tour
08:24 PM on 03/04/11
CBKRP
Registered Member
User Info.
"there is a growing culture of kids who are getting brought up to think that music is free" Id like to slap these kids.....
03:57 AM on 03/05/11
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
This band never really broke through for me, or became one of the main bands someone would listen to, at least out of all the people I know, I think that has hurt their record sales more than downloading : / lack of breakthrough-ness.

Tried listening to them in the car earlier, going to check out their new album, hope it's good.

:]
07:54 AM on 03/05/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
This band never really broke through for me, or became one of the main bands someone would listen to, at least out of all the people I know, I think that has hurt their record sales more than downloading : / lack of breakthrough-ness.

Tried listening to them in the car earlier, going to check out their new album, hope it's good.

:]
Yeah, you not buying their album is definitely the reason.
02:34 PM on 03/05/11
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
Yeah, you not buying their album is definitely the reason.
Congratulations on not understanding the simple post you commented on :] My point was to everyone I know, this band released an okay album for a 15 year old at the time, then dropped off the map, though obviously it has nothing to do with just the people I know, it was an observation from a pretty big sample of people, which seems to be consistent with their popularity.

I always find it funny to see bands who I wouldn't expect to sell very well complain about downloading as the reason, when even if a lot of people do download something for free, it isn't a lost sale, just ask the minecraft guy or radiohead, or anyone else who released something people downloaded which is considered generally very good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos