AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Versus Angels - 03.01.11

Versus Angels - 03.01.11

Interviewed by
Versus Angels - 03.01.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Versus Angels

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Versus...26893780712124

Answers by: Seth Werts

1. How did you get your band name?
We spent months coming up with ideas and bouncing them off of each other through text messages, emails and just throwing some out at practices. In the end, we had a list of maybe 100 thrown out names and three that we liked. Versus Angels just stuck with us in the end.

2. How did this band get started?
The four of us are all ex members of Friends For Hire. We've all played with each other for a long time and after Friends for Hire parted ways, we all talked and decided we wanted to continue making music together but we wanted to do it right this time. We wanted to just have fun with it and throw everything we've ever learned into this project. It started out just Tony, Shaun and I in a storage shed writing songs until 2am during the week. No band name, no real direction, we were just writing and hanging out and seeing what we could come up with. The end result was 15 songs that touched a few different genres and many different influences. We recorded live demos of them all and listened back and, for me, that's when it hit that we had a potentially good thing going here. We had a band together again.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I guess we're influenced by what we listen to most. Anberlin, Acceptance, Brand New, Josephine Collective, Receiving End of Sirens, As Cities Burn and Jimmy Eat World, to name just a few. haha

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I personally would have to choose The Starting Line because they were always my favorite growing up through high school (which we all know are the "best years of our lives", right?). haha I saw them live a few times and they were always fun to be around and had a great show. I'd assume touring with them would be a blast and I think their fans would receive us pretty well.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
The best food if I could have one thing every night would probably either be Panda Express, or Chipotle. But seeing how both of those are too expensive for us to eat while we're trying to survive on tour, those wouldn't happen haha. Last tour we were on, I personally drank Arizona Green Tea cans and Barqs root beer cans and ate Chef-boy-ar-dee ABCs 123s. We would stop at a Wal-mart or something and I'd just drop $20 and it'd get me enough cans of chef to feed me almost the entire tour. And no can-opener needed! (pull tab)

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Well, to be honest, other than the thrill of finding and listening to potential new music, I don't really know a good reason. There are thousands of bands out in the world today that probably deserve the spotlight a lot more than the little bit that we receive ourselves. All we're really trying to do is do what we love and hope that anyone who listens loves it too.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Rob Dyrdek. I'd be a sick skater and I'd have my own show, my own fantasy factory, and I'd basically be able to do whatever I want at the expense of MTV. Who wouldn't want that, right?

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Parents, endorsers, management, fans, anyone else who got us to the Grammys. If we won a Grammy right now, we'd only be able to thank parents and fans. haha

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I personally would get rid of these electronic press kits. They've made it too easy for any random kid to throw one together and flood the labels to a point where hard working bands struggle to be noticed. Some labels don't even accept the old press kits in the mail anymore. Technology has helped in some ways, and in other ways it has hurt us.

10. Memorable tour experience
We played a hometown show in the middle of our last tour as Friends For Hire and, during our hometown favorite song "Danger Us", we had two of our friends dressed in the Duck and Mouse costumes from the Danger Us music video come out on stage and fight each other. But at the same time they came out, Jimmy from Sunday Night Scene came out with an industrial sized roll of toilet paper and TP'd us all while we were playing. But on the last show of the tour, we got him back by altering his backtrack behind his back. It normally says "Hip-Hip-Hooray!", but that night it said "Hip-Hip- I'M GAY". I should probably mention that show was in a church. oops.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

I've used it for news for a few years now and just got a username for the forums about a year and a half ago. It's always kept me up to date with all the bands I love and I've made a few pretty cool friends along the way. Looking forward to Jason releasing the new AP.net look though.

12. What is your favorite song to play
Favorite song definitely has to be "Just Alright". We haven't released the song online yet but it definitely gets the crowd going early on which in turn gets me going.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
LA, California. I would never want to live there, but it's an awesome place to visit, especially if you know the right people to get you into the V.I.P. parties around town. Always a fun time there

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

I think I mentioned this in an earlier question but The Starting Line is what I grew up on. I remember picking up "Say It Like You Mean It" from the local record exchange and falling in love with it. I had to go out and get the 2 EPs "The Make Yourself At Home EP" and "With Hopes of Starting Over" that week, and I got every other album right when they came out. During the summer I would blast SILYMI with the windows down and just drive around.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I'd definitely love to be able to fly as fast as a bullet. I would save tons of money on airfare and travel expenses. haha

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Nope. Just setup and wait till its time to melt some faces. I usually drink a beer during the band's set right before us, if that counts.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Me, personally - most fans don't know I grew up moving all over the country because I was the son of 2 contractors. I went to 8 different schools growing up because my family moved so much. I spent the most time in California and Ohio (where I started playing bass and guitar).
Something about the band - there isn't really much to share because we like to post any bits of news we can. haha

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
We have one song that we gave the working title "The top-40 hit" before it had lyrics. Its now called "Promise". I could see it being well received on the radio, but none of our other music probably would. The radio these days either plays country, rap, or programmed music. The only stations that play rock are Oldies stations or college radio. Now, around here, we don't have the Oldies or college stations so my radio never gets turned on. Thank god for Pandora and Last.fm.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

A lot of our spare time is actually spent just hanging out together at our singer and guitarist's house. We turn family games into drinking games and waste our nights away. haha

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have
I can make the water-drop noise with my mouth like Ferris Buellerr! haha

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News