AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Bryyn - House Plants Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 6.25
Lyrics 6.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Bryyn - House Plants

Reviewed by: sublime_theory (03/08/11)
Bryyn - House Plants
Record Label: aaahh records
Release Date: November, 2010

Who?

Bryn Martin – THAT'S WHO!!! Now, I’m sure you are shocked at the brashness of my response. I merely wanted to illustrate exactly what Bryyn is NOT about. There is nothing hasty about this album and that is ok. There is nothing revolutionary on this album and that is ok. Bryn Martin operates as the mastermind behind this solo project with his suave arrangements of guitar, synthesizer, percussion and vocals – never slapdash - just good music done right.

How is it?

Simple might be a way to describe this album but it falls very short of properly portraying what is truly at work here. The vocals are soft and layered, almost as if Bryn is speaking a calm melody from the other side of the room. The guitar is warm and tonally pleasing. The synthesizer is tasteful and the percussion is varied between minimal accented rhythms to driving beats. Even the lyrics don’t try to outmaneuver their own wit. Lines like “You can do the headphone dance while I find a disk with a really new beat” will be echoing through your head for days at a time as you resist the urge to do a dorky, white-boy-dance where you stand.
One cannot speak on Mr. Martin’s behalf in regards to why he titled the album House plants, It seems fitting though. A house plant is something that we might have in the background to add some aesthetic pleasure to a room. It’s nothing spectacular but some will find additional joy in that houseplant if they take time to appreciate how the plant adds to the ambience of the room. Others will move on with their life, never giving that plant a second thought. This album does nothing to try and assert itself as some game changer for the genre. Rather, it presents itself as music; something for you to enjoy at your discretion as it adds some warmth and peace do your day.

Recommended If You LikeNick Drake's guitar/vocals meets Beck's synthesizers, Free Music

http://www.bryyn.com/

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums