1. How did you get your band name?
We started the band during our senior year of college, and as we got closer to graduation we realized that June was a pretty significant month; it marked the end of college life as we knew it and the beginning of the “real world”. It was as if June was divided into these two very different chapters of our lives, hence – June Divided.
2. How did this band get started?
Chris and Melissa began writing together in college and continued after graduation. The more they wrote, the more they realized that they wanted to give this band a shot to be heard, and decided to fill out the roster. They put a wanted ad on Craigslist for a drummer (as a joke) and stumbled upon Keith, who could not be a better match. Rich, a friend from college, hopped on as the bassist and the rest is history.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Jimmy Eat World, Mute Math, Thrice, Manchester Orchestra, Brand New, Ivoryline, Explosions in the Sky
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Any of the bands listed above or any of the legendary artists throughout history would be a dream come true. Plus, we really love playing with the other local bands we meet on the road. There’s a ton of undiscovered talent and genuinely nice people out there that are working hard and it’s nice to foster friendships with them on this level.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Skittles and sourdough pretzels.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We don’t like giving people ultimatums! All we can ask is that you give us a shot. We’re all very open-minded music fans and feel that opening your ears to new music is never a bad thing. It feeds the brain and the heart. If our music strikes a chord with you and you like what you hear, then keep listening and we’ll continuing being grateful that you are.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Kenny Powers. If you don't know who that is, shame on you.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our parents, families, friends and fans. They are the reason we’re able to do what we do, and we are extremely fortunate to have so many incredible people in our lives.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
There should be free ice cream for musicians everywhere... and for all their fans.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We recently played this venue in Asbury Park that had this really creepy bear head mask/costume thing in the back room. It was missing an eye and had a sinister smile. So naturally, Rich put it on and danced around. Both terrifying and hilarious.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
AP.net is awesome! We've used absolutepunk.net for years to find new bands and album reviews and keep up on the latest news on all of our favorite bands.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
We wrote a new song called "Secrets" (not on the EP), that’s an absolute blast to play it live. It’s fast and upbeat and powerful, and we can’t wait to get in the studio to lay it down.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
A Beach. Anywhere.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Classic rock... and Raffi.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Super-speed so we could spend less time on the road, and more time playing and writing music.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
A beer or two and a cherry water. Don't ask.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Even though we're a "Philly" band, not one of us is actually from Philadelphia. Melissa is from Delaware, Chris is from Pittsburgh, Rich is from South Jersey, and Keith is from Dublin, Ireland.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Radio can still be extremely important. In Philly, we’re fortunate enough to have some great stations that believe in and support new and local music – WXPN and Radio 104.5 to name two. We’d love to get more radio airplay so we can live out that scene in That Thing You Do, when they all jump around in the appliance store. (Awesome movie, by the way).
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Spare time? What is that? Is that a typo? I think you meant spare tire. We can’t fit in a spare tire. It’s too small.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Melissa is a magician on her off nights
Rich can talk to monkeys (and they usually talk back)