Username
Password

Album Review

Dameria - M(us)ic Album Cover

Dameria - M(us)ic

Reviewed by
Dameria - M(us)ic
Record Label: Equal Vision Records

Quick! Think of a band that pulls off lightning-fast guitar parts, ever-changing tempos and time signatures, and does it without compromising songwriting and integrity. Stumped? You may need to take a listen to Damiera's latest release M(US)IC to come up with something for this riddle. Filled with some of the most dumbfounding complexities that can be found on a record of late, Damiera seem to effortlessly pull off an original and exciting sound, blurring the line between Q And Not U and The Fall Of Troy.

M(US)IC is filled to the brim with ten songs that flow nicely into one another without becoming monotonous. Nothing slows this band down and they get right to the point with each tune. The album opener, “Immure” kicks off with a killer vocal performance by lead singer Dave Raymond that will have any fan of progressive music saying “Cedric who? The Mars who?” This leads perfectly into the next song “Lessons”, which jolts the listener with an opening riff containing an urgency normally only found in much heavier bands that are too clumsy to display the kind of sensitivity and musicianship that Damiera effortlessly churn out.

“I AM Pulse” provides an over-the-top energy level for the midpoint of the record and showcases stops, time changes, and guitar-work by Raymond and guitarist Rock Whittington that have surely inspired many to simply put the instrument down. Or sell it. Or burn it. It’s clear that guitars in this band work both as a melodic, as well as percussive, instrument. Following this frenzied song, the band does something not expected or suggested for most groups of their genre: they slow things down a bit. “Ember Eason” surprisingly offers grooves from the rhythm section that, while not as complex as the “turn-on-a-dime” feel of their other tunes, offer a new look into the writing capabilities of the band, and a chance for the listener to breathe.

Other worthy mentions are “Flora:Yield” with its guitar harmony outro that will make your brain explode inside your skull, and the album closer “Obsessions” which features a more relaxed tempo, and a twist in the second verse and bridge reminiscent of Don Caballero. Bottom line, Damiera is more talented than your progressive indie band or your favorite progressive indie band. Did I mention they pull these songs off live? God help us.
This review is a user submitted review from KyleFTH. You can see all of KyleFTH's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
07:19 AM on 03/20/07
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Great review! This cd is great, and I saw them live way back before the got signed, really really nice dudes and yea, they more than pull it off live.
05:22 PM on 03/20/07
kjs7
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
excellent record and nice review.

you spelled their name wrong though, ha.
10:25 AM on 03/21/07
The Rescue
User Info.
This album is amazing. They're playing up in Dewey, IL tonight but I can't go. :(
02:25 PM on 03/23/07
Dan CiTi
To Let The World Be
User Info.
I LOVE THIS BAND! I've had this album since the record release show(Tamerlane release) and love it.
07:33 PM on 03/23/07
AdamTheGreat
Roar!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Really a fantastic cd and band. Looking forward to them.
08:26 PM on 04/12/07
Bi11 Lumburgh
User Info.
they make me proud to say im from buffalo
05:52 PM on 07/12/08
flyingtoaster99
User Info.
Awesome cd from a great group of musicians (before they split up)! I've had the album since before they got signed by Equal Vision, and I still listen to it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos