Password

Album Review

Utah Carol - Rodeo Queen Album Cover

Utah Carol - Rodeo Queen

Reviewed by
Utah CarolRodeo Queen
Label: Stomping Ground
Release Date: May 15, 2007

In a world with MySpace and countless self-proclaimed music moguls blogging about who’s up and coming, on the horizon, or about to break, there’s little to no room for discovery. The romantic notion of the A&R guy from X label strolling into a rundown little club and signing the next Panic! or Fall Out Boy or Sufjan Stevens is all but dead. More often than not, if you’re a "good" band in today’s music scene more than a few people know your name.

Utah Carol’s MySpace profile had been viewed 1217 times as of noon on the 18th of March, 2007. Compare that number to a band with considerable more buzz and not too dissimilar a sound, Headlights. Their fellow Illini, they currently register over 70,000 views. I won’t even bring in the Sufjan number. It’s obscene by comparison, though I don’t suspect that Jinja Davis and Grant Birkenbeuel care too much. They’ve been working together in the Chicago music scene since 1995 and haven’t yet “broke” to anyone outside of a select few. It’s a safe bet however that after the word gets out on the husband/wife duo’s third full-length, Rodeo Queen, Utah Carol won’t be a secret anymore.

On Rodeo Queen, the two (with a little help from their friends) whip through a handful of sleepy folk-pop with a grace and beauty familiar to bands under the Polyvinyl or Saddle Creek imprint. The album’s opener “Kimberly Smiles” features a steady percussive beat, that sounds as if it were produced by those rhythm sticks you learned to play in elementary school, over a soft slinky melody. “Come Back Baby” is a wistful and sour lovespun chug of Americana, underscored perfectly by the Maria Taylor-esque voice of Davis and the hushed harmonies of her husband. Other highlights include the remorseful ballad “I’m Sorry Maria” and the hip-hop influenced instrumental, “In The Lake”. It may be only March, but I'll wager Rodeo Queen will surely make more than a few critics’ lists come December.

Love is wrong: “Come Back Baby”, “I’m Sorry Maria”

Who are three bands that have never been in my kitchen?: Azure Ray, Yo La Tengo, Andrew Bird

www.myspace.com/utahcarol
This review is a user submitted review from Russ Hockenbury. You can see all of Russ Hockenbury's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
04:57 PM on 03/18/07
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Is the song "Silver Space Rocket" from Utah Carol's new disc? That's my personal fave.

Nope, but "Come Back Baby" and "Rodeo Queen" are both on the new one.
06:06 PM on 03/18/07
jdgtrplyr
that'll do
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thanks for reviewing such a great band :) They deserve the exposure, and hopefully this album will allow that.
08:29 PM on 03/18/07
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
I really enjoy this release
01:47 AM on 03/19/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
200 more myspace views since you reviewed this. Its a start. I like what I hear.
09:21 AM on 03/19/07
tbsunday14
User Info.
i like it!
03:58 PM on 03/20/07
AshesAshes
User Info.
Do they have any relation to Utah
07:59 PM on 03/21/07
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.