User Info.
what a tool
05:55 AM on 03/15/11
derekjd
Mr.DRM
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice interview.
It seems that they don't know much about the album release either. Which is good. ATL doesn't seem like a band who would keep an album under wraps for a long time without someone making them.
Excited for new material. Keep up the good interviews, Keagan.
06:35 AM on 03/15/11
jayfay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ATL in Canada? Hell fucking yes. If this happens my life will be complete.
08:30 AM on 03/15/11
JDubs66
Redesign Me, Redefine Me.
User Info.
How does Rivers Cuomo write for other people when he needs help writing his own stuff now a days? Expect a safe by the numbers pop album with little to know creativity and a lot of co written radio crap. What pisses me off about this band is that unlike about 90% of neon pop bands they actually have a semblance of musical talent and had potential at one point.
lol.
09:21 AM on 03/15/11
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
How does Rivers Cuomo write for other people when he needs help writing his own stuff now a days? Expect a safe by the numbers pop album with little to no creativity and a lot of co written radio crap. What pisses me off about this band is that unlike about 90% of neon pop bands they actually have a semblance of musical talent and had potential at one point.
Whatever your opinion is on Weezer's music, Rivers has publicly said that he just started trying out co-writing. He had always written his old stuff and wanted to try something new and fresh.

While some people may not like the product of his writing sessions, you can't say it's a bad thing for the guy to try something new after working a certain way for years and years. As for All Time Low; they definitely have the opportunity to learn a thing or two about writing songs from all these artists and producers, which will help them somewhere down the line.
09:46 AM on 03/15/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"We are trying to please people who are fans of our older records while also appealing to our growing audience. Definitely not an easy task."

shouldn't you at least write some music for yourself? call it the music business, but they play the game wayy too much
truth

i gotta wonder if they would still be writing party scene/put up or shut up-caliber shit if they didn't try so damn hard to be appealing.
10:26 AM on 03/15/11
narca9
killed the beast!
User Info.
So I guess that Mark Hoppus song will never be spoken of again.
11:14 AM on 03/15/11
Don'txSweatxIt
Don'txSweatxIt
User Info.
So I guess that Mark Hoppus song will never be spoken of again.
Ugh. I really wanted to hear that song! Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bonus track in the future though.
12:29 PM on 03/15/11
JDubs66
Redesign Me, Redefine Me.
User Info.
Ugh. I really wanted to hear that song! Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bonus track in the future though.
I heard that song had parts of it re-written and put out by citycommastate
01:17 PM on 03/15/11
zephyrsong12345
solitary WEASEL
User Info.
I heard that song had parts of it re-written and put out by citycommastate
Called 'City of Dreams'.
(sucks balls)
04:00 PM on 03/15/11
Jooodie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"I believe the key to appealing to the masses is to have simple songs with catchy vocal melodies and hooks."
Catchy vocal melodies and hooks? Yes please.
Simple songs? Well... some depth and originality would be nice.

"We are trying to please people who are fans of our older records while also appealing to our growing audience."
What about yourselves? I always support ATL getting bigger because I thought you wanted to get YOUR music heard? Surely the fun of being in a band is playing the music you love, to as many people as possible. Not making music specifically tailored so it will be appealing to as many people as possible.

I love All Time Low, and I love the guys - I think they're really genuine. But I think they're all way too fame-hungry for their own good right now. Be yourselves guys, you've worked really hard, and fame WILL come to you - no doubt, and you really do deserve it. But do it the right way.
04:03 PM on 03/15/11
zephyrsong12345
solitary WEASEL
User Info.
their obsessed fanbase isn't going anywhere. ATL is pretty much immortal in the eyes of their "growing audience" - meaning the 13 year old demographic.
What they NEED is to gain the respect of big kids, who aren't sold with simply "catchy vocal melodies and hooks".
They need credibility, not exposure to more middle-schoolers.
09:53 PM on 03/15/11
RCCOLA
the shadow proves the sunshine
User Info.
"We are trying to please people who are fans of our older records while also appealing to our growing audience. Definitely not an easy task."

shouldn't you at least write some music for yourself? call it the music business, but they play the game wayy too much
That's exactly what I thought when I saw that. Also, a bit before he basically admits that they make simple music that they know people will like...like dude, why would you ever play music for someone else and not yourself?
09:24 AM on 03/16/11
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
their obsessed fanbase isn't going anywhere. ATL is pretty much immortal in the eyes of their "growing audience" - meaning the 13 year old demographic.
What they NEED is to gain the respect of big kids, who aren't sold with simply "catchy vocal melodies and hooks".
They need credibility, not exposure to more middle-schoolers.
The people that think you're credible are the first people to say you "Sold Out" or fucked up. Credibility is bs imo. They are a pop rock band; through and through. They said the new album with have some more "rock" based tracks, but they want to get their style of music to appeal to a larger audience. It is pretty difficult to get a rock song to break on the radio in a big way, so it will be interesting to see what songs they think can make them big in the mainstream.
08:30 AM on 03/18/11
dobby29
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Definitely not a fan of comments about them "trying to appease" a wider audience. I get that it's a business and they obviously need to make money to survive. But he is basically admitting they are trying to write songs that will be popular instead of writing what they believe in and playing their hearts out to gain fans. I know the masses will appreciate simple, poppy songs with hooks but those that truly love music will begin to stray away from bands like All Time Low. I know they have always been funny dudes and that came across in their lyrics as well but their older music seemed to have more honesty to it. Just my 2 cents.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos