AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Paper Melody, The - 03.18.11

Paper Melody, The - 03.18.11

Interviewed by
Paper Melody, The - 03.18.11It's very rare that a band on this site catches me by surprise. With all of the carbon copies and imitations of other bands, The Paper Melody was a diamond in the rough. Thanks to Jill for taking time out to do this interview.

1. State your name and role in the band.
Jill- Vox/bass

2. Brief history of the band?

We formed the band in late 2008 with our final lineup. The Paper Melody started out with Dan as the lead singer, me on bass, and Anthony on guitar. We spent some time trying to find our sound then Dan stumbled upon some recordings of me singing and suggested that I sing as well. I had never really sang in front of anyone let alone played a show so it was definitely nerve wracking but the guys were always supportive, they are great. From then on we worked on building a local fan base and recorded our debut EP "Conducting the Motion" in Dan's room. We went on two small self booked tours with some awesome bands. Ended up winning Ernie Ball's Battle of the Bands and played the one Warped Tour date. More recently, we released our sophomore EP "The Nightmare Academy" which just released on 3/11/11 after an exclusive feature on PureVolume.com where we ended up getting #1 on their top artists by song.

3. You recently recorded an EP produced by Blake of VersaEmerge. How did you decide on him and what did bring to the table for you guys?
So we met Blake because we played a show with them a few months back. A little bit later he sent us an email asking if we wanted to record with him because he had some time off from touring and he liked our sound. We just so happened to be looking to record at that time and knew we had similar musical influences so we packed up and hit the road to Florida soon after that. It ended up being a perfect match! We were always on the same page and he brought to the table so much musical knowledge and an understanding of our sound. He didn't try to change our sound but helped us organize it better.

4. What are some of your influences (Be it music, movies, books, etc.)?
We gather inspiration from all over. We especially all like Tim Burton, Danny Elfman, film scores, any art that catches our eyes. Harry Potter is a huge influence for us: the art, the story, the magic...everything about HP. As far as bands go: The Receiving End of Sirens, Thrice, Muse, Envy on the Coast, Pierce the Veil, Thursday (my all time fav).

5. What was the concept for the music video for "Incandescent?"
The song itself basically talks about feeling like you're losing grasp of who you are and then explores the journey of finding yourself again and how you shine brightest when you embrace being "you." The video is along those same lines, it's like coming into yourself, finding who you were truly meant to be, following your dreams...and loving it.

6. Have you found it difficult to carve your own niche with the fact that you have a female singer and it all leads to the unavoidable comparisons?

Honestly, we've never had anyone turn that into a negative thing. I think the fact that we have male and female vocals has kinda created our own niche.

7. What do you think makes The Paper Melody unique?
I think the co-ed vocals set us apart for sure. Also, the way we've tried to mesh cinematic and music...We've been able to express the image of the band by designing and building all of the sets of our music videos (with the help of close friends of course!) and having unique packaging and merch. We really pride ourselves on the visually aesthetic side of our music- hence the name The Paper Melody.

8. What does the rest of 2011 hold for The Paper Melody?
2011 is looking great for us! We have tons planned and a lot in the works. We are currently looking at some tours, always writing, and filming more music videos. We are currently working on management, booking agents, and a label.

9. Band links?
www.facebook.com/thepapermelody
www.twitter.com/thepapermelody
www.thepapermelody.com
www.thepapermelody.bigcartel.com (for CDs/merch)
http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/th...dy/id373625333 (itunes)
www.thepapermelody.tumblr.com
www.youtube.com/thepmcrew

10. Anything else to say?
Keep checking Facebook for the most current updates. Follow us on twitter and subscribe to your YouTube Channel :D Thank you to all who has ever listened, supported, given feedback, gone to shows, bought merch. We <3 you!

Thanks so much for having us AbsolutePunk.net! :D

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
07:38 PM on 03/19/11
evilandgood
User Info.
Great band, even better dudes. I'm so happy they're getting some love on here :]
06:06 PM on 03/20/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
Never really gave this band the chance. But them listing TREOS and Thursday as a influence has intrigued me.

Great interview Christian!
07:08 PM on 03/27/11
Christian Wagner
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Never really gave this band the chance. But them listing TREOS and Thursday as a influence has intrigued me.

Great interview Christian!
Thanks!
12:58 AM on 03/28/11
Topher Allan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Question # 11
What motivates you to play music?

Question # 12
Would you say the concept for "Incandescent" is representative of the developement of the band as a whole or is it an individual person?

Question # 13
With the current trend of "cinematic-style" based writing happening across all genres of music, what will Paper Melody do that keeps you "ahead of the pack"?

Responsive Question # 14
You said - "I think the co-ed vocals set us apart for sure. Also, the way we've tried to mesh cinematic and music..."
Co-ed vocals have existed for many decades in the music industry of popular culture song structure (e.g. Sonny and Cher), also, cinematic and music have existed for hundreds of years in theater (e.g. opera). What are your thoughts on that?
02:14 PM on 03/28/11
KilledByAnAngel
http://burntblue.blogspot.com
User Info.
Great band, for sure. I had the interested experience of booking a show for them when they came through Vegas last year. The original venue had fallen through last minute so I went from promoting the show to trying to get them somewhere to play. Even though they ended up playing to an almost completely empty taco shop (just my wife, me, a couple of friends, and one or two people who stumbled in), they were still very gracious and appreciative.

The acoustics of the venue sucked so the band had to bring it down a notch, but they still bristled with energy. Conducting The Motion was one of the best EP's released last year. I can't wait to hear what else this band has to offer.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos