AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Panic! At The Disco - Vices & Virtues Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 6.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6.66
Production 7.67
Creativity 7.06
Lasting Value 7.08
Reviewer Tilt 7.63
Average: 73%

Panic! At The Disco - Vices & Virtues

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (03/20/11)
Panic! At The DiscoVices & Virtues
Record Label: Decaydance/Fueled By Ramen Records
Release Date: March 22, 2011

This is what you wanted, right? A “return to form” – i.e. slick pop layered over synths, the occasional crunchy guitar and a weird fascination with Vaudeville (despite none of us knowing what that really means) – yep, this is you getting what you wanted. And although getting what we wanted can sometimes lead to felonies or regrettable Zune tattoos (R.I.P.), in this case what we wanted is what’s best for us and both remaining members of Panic!(!) At The Disco. With Vices & Virtues, Brendon Urie and Spencer Smith have created an album that isn’t mature, because what does that even mean, but an album that understands from its first note where it’s going and the best way to get there.

Vices & Virtues does rush by, not quite at the breakneck speed of its true predecessor A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out, yet its in-big chorus-out styling will feel familiar in the best of ways. But just because this doesn’t have the, ugh, depth of Pretty. Odd. (which, by the way, I find to be an utterly terrible record) doesn’t mean you should feel like some dunce for indulging your dancefloor desires on toe-tappers like “Let’s Kill Tonight” or single “The Ballad of Mona Lisa.” While Urie was quoted as saying that this is some sort of humanity character study (Ha!), it’s perfectly acceptable to take this music at overly make-up’d face value. Sorry to say this, Mr. Urie, but no amount of French lyricism or strings or overt literature-based metaphors (“Memories”) will trick us into seeing this as anything more than a joyride record. Which, like I said, is fine. As far as I’m concerned, the smart dude left the band. And that’s also cool, because for all the Young Veins’ hopes to shadow their past with mid-tempo Beatles masturbation, the true heart of everyone connected to this band will always be fast and catchy lilts on love and loss.

But being that intelligence, at least musically, is relative, perhaps Urie is the genius. Although I willingly champion the quick and simple, Vices & Virtues throws songs like “Trade Mistakes” and “Sarah Smiles” at us, which retain both the theatrics of Fever and the restraint of Pretty. Odd. So who’s to say this guy isn’t some master innovator, mixing and matching old stuff to make things we’ve never heard. It creates an end product that feels both nostalgic and creative. Take “Ready To Go (Get Me Out of My Mind)”, which has Razia’s Shadow drama, 80’s flair and U2 bombast. Or maybe it has none of those things; point is, I hear it and think, “Man that’s cool,” which usually would be enough for a dimwitted music fan. But the amazing thing is, then I want to dive in again and again. It’s big and over the top and indulgent and just freaking great. And maybe that’s the best way to describe Vices & Virtues.

When Urie sings, “Put another X on the calendar / Summer’s on it’s deathbed / There is simply nothing worse than knowing how it ends,” on possible standout “The Calendar,” he could be referring to a million different things. But if he’s referring to his new career at the forefront of Panic! At The Disco, he’s got nothing to worry about. Because the only thing I want to do at the end of Vices & Virtues is hear it all over again.

Recommended If You Like: Fall Out Boy, The Audition, The Young Veins

Today I'm Evolvingwww.panicatthedisco.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 125
12:29 AM on 03/21/11
Searos
Registered Member
User Info.
I would not really recommend this to Young Vein fans but overall I totally agree with this interview, which is well written. I loved Fever and pretty odd was just hard to listen to as a follow up. This is probably the truest panic! at the disco album ever made as it seems more hard work then ever before has been put into it.
12:29 AM on 03/21/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I'm wrapt with the way it turned out. Well worth the wait
12:32 AM on 03/21/11
ModernArtillery
That wasn't the Final Problem
User Info.
Great review, great album that I can't get enough of. Its exciting, fun - I really, really enjoy it.
Love 'hurricane' and 'sarah smiles'.
12:44 AM on 03/21/11
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
I am a fan of this review. I've never been too into Panic, but I really enjoyed what I have heard off of this record. I'll get through the entire album eventually.
12:54 AM on 03/21/11
joe.boy.fresh.
Registered Member
User Info.
Such a fun record, stoked to have P!ATD back
01:04 AM on 03/21/11
calystarose
bearing a vultuous visage
User Info.
This album pretty much is exactly what I wanted, with one exception. So I'm very happy. I do like Pretty. Odd. but I'm not sure why it's considered mature/deep comparatively. Whatever. I just know that this album makes me happy, and Ready To Go is utterly fantastic in every way.
01:05 AM on 03/21/11
introduction
You're not real musician!
User Info.
Clever review, clever album. Gave the fans what they wanted.
01:07 AM on 03/21/11
IndieKid!
The Registered User
User Info.
I liked the review more than the record, well written and fun, a better job than Urie did, replace him?
01:13 AM on 03/21/11
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
So how much of a hand did Butch Walker have in co-writing this?
01:30 AM on 03/21/11
therailwayhouse
~
User Info.
Quote:
mid-tempo Beatles masturbation
oh god lol

I think this review made me enjoy and appreciate Vices & Virtues even more.
02:10 AM on 03/21/11
SpyKi
This Charming Man
User Info.
Love this album.
02:20 AM on 03/21/11
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
this album grew on me. when i first heard it i thought it was shit and then i listened again and could tell it was going to grow on me
02:21 AM on 03/21/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Fuck, I really miss reading your writing more often. Flows so well and always makes me laugh to myself. This is one of the better reviews I've read from you, too.

Looks like I need to go back and spin this album again, because I wasn't impressed at first.
02:57 AM on 03/21/11
jco3
Oh, hello there, internet.
User Info.
Awesome review, man. Really fun. I love your ambivalent attitude towards describing how the record sounds. Nice. Keep it up. yay.

I also still have to listen to this record, I'll do that soon. woop woop.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests