AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Verdict, The - Tour EP 2007 Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 9
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.88
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.63
Production 9
Creativity 8.38
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.88
Average: 88%

Verdict, The - Tour EP 2007

Reviewed by: Scott Irvine (03/21/07)
The Verdict - Tour EP 2007
Released March 5th, 2007
Unsigned

For the first time in my two and half year reviewing “career”, I am suffering from what is normally referred to as writer’s block. This condition has just recently kept me stuck on countless word documents with little to no words typed, a migraine-inducing time for any journalist I’m sure. Not to say I’m a journalist because my efforts until now have proven otherwise. For this particular review, around twelve paragraphs were written; all simply to open up the review. Though, when I have a problem digesting a particular project, I usually address the issue straight-out instead of fumbling around with lackluster introductions that really get us nowhere. Chandler Martin must’ve had the same intention when he sat down to write what is today known as the Tour EP 2007. Honesty, sincerity, and a general warmth sway gently with Martin’s solid vocals. He puts everything on the table, opening his heart for The Verdict’s indie-rock flair to take general pop-rock formulas to new heights. With a simple Tour EP in constant rotation on my stereo as of late, there’s no limit to how high this quintet’s follow-up full-length will be.

Through seven tracks, this young North Carolina collective have done nothing short of created an EP that deserves a review twice as good as I am able to write. Both on the stage and on CD, there is an undeniable passion that flows through Chandler Martin’s earnest lyrics and the rest of the band’s ability to craft pop-rock that is refreshing each time you lend it your ear.

“These Are Dreams” kicks off the album and is a prime example of why The Verdict is so outstanding. Jason is the first one heard, cueing a nice entrance with his rolling drum intro that quickly transitions to a slightly minimal yet entirely solid backbone to Chandler and Kasey’s chorus harmonies and gorgeous verse command. Speaking of the two, the vocal aspect from Kasey and Chandler is one of the most charming facets to the EP. While there could be more from Kasey in terms of keyboard inclusion, her gentle vocals accentuates Martin's perfectly. “Never Be The Same” also delves into Chandler’s strong vocal narrative. This track along with “Stay Right Here”’s somewhat hushed bounciness, lead by Will’s well-placed bass groove, are probably the strongest instrumentally and indeed show a different aspect to the band other than Chandler’s forte as the frontman. “Unforgiving”, while translating better on stage, is one of the steadier tracks on the album; riding the smooth rhythm section and delicate electric/acoustic guitar allure. “Night & Day” is the token pop-rock song on the album, displaying qualities that are very signature to the genre but still subject to that waft of Southern honesty and integrity that helps it stand out. This is also a track where Mike, on guitar, steps it up. The kid’s got talent and his searing drive through the entire song undoubtedly gives the rest of the band that necessary push in the right direction. “A Light in the Dark” finishes off the album with my personal favorite of the EP. It bears a slight country influence, or what one might expect from House of Fools. Chandler is at his best here, in my opinion. He sings of hope and being “the one you look too” while strumming the acoustic in front of a slight electric guitar backing.

There’s a reason these guys haven’t left my stereo since I brought Tour EP 2007 home. The Verdict is so unquestionably magnetic with array upon array of sincere pop-rock that never ceases to lift your spirit and bring back your faith in this generation’s musical worth. Normally I like to end questioning whether a band has it in them to go all the way and become the next in the line of Cinderella stories of success. But, I don’t even need to think twice; The Verdict is going all the way.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
07:53 PM on 03/21/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
This is soothing pop-rock at it's best. I'd like to get my hands on an EP.
08:00 PM on 03/21/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
This is soothing pop-rock at it's best. I'd like to get my hands on an EP.

They're in Anaheim as we speak. Such a great show. They easily topped The Rocket Summer, maybe even Melee.
08:28 PM on 03/21/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
They're in Anaheim as we speak. Such a great show. They easily topped The Rocket Summer, maybe even Melee.
Yeah, that's what I've been reading on their myspace comments.

I wanted to see them live and TEN for possibly the last time, but couldn't make it. But Joe may have my company book their Summer tour, so hopefully he'll let me route them through my hometown.
09:05 PM on 03/21/07
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
these guys are fucking amazing. easily the best band on the current TEN tour (besides TEN, of course). they rocked when i saw them in charlotte. i only meant to go in and see them for like 1 or 2 songs but ended up staying for their whole set. they were just so captivating that i couldnt leave. i bought their full-length at their show, which is not as good as this EP, but is still pretty solid. i honestly hope that these guys make it, because they deserve it all. on top of being talented, they're such nice people.
09:28 PM on 03/21/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
Yeah, that's what I've been reading on their myspace comments.

I wanted to see them live and TEN for possibly the last time, but couldn't make it. But Joe may have my company book their Summer tour, so hopefully he'll let me route them through my hometown.

Joe is such a nice guy. Would you know if their summer tour goes through the Southeast?

I sure hope it does
09:40 PM on 03/21/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
do you have something against links? good review and all though.
09:44 PM on 03/21/07
Scott Irvine
Your Virtual Pnin
User Info.
do you have something against links? good review and all though.

If the review tickles your fancy, then look them up.
09:51 PM on 03/21/07
meeotch
...all we fight for
User Info.
Nice review. They have 3 tracks available for download on purevolume.

http://www.purevolume.com/theverdict
12:17 AM on 03/22/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
Joe is such a nice guy. Would you know if their summer tour goes through the Southeast?

I sure hope it does
Oh I'm sure they'll swing by The 7 Venue or The Masquerade.
12:59 AM on 03/22/07
XBurnedDesireX
All the way from Noraz
User Info.
they played a good show in vegas...
05:48 AM on 03/22/07
Rich Duncan
Album Reviewer
User Info.
Excellent review Scott, this band is awesome.
06:24 AM on 03/22/07
splat out path
Immense
User Info.
The songs on Purevolume didn't really do anything for me, but nice work on the review.
07:34 AM on 03/22/07
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
If the review tickles your fancy, then look them up.
so you have something against links?
09:08 AM on 03/22/07
X__inhope
justinryan.org
User Info.
Chandler and the rest of the band are some of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I did a relatively small favor for them, through Joe, a few months ago and when I met them a week or so ago, they were so thankful and appreciative. Not to mention they played a ridiculously awesome set.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests