AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Underoath - 03.21.07

Interviewed by
Underoath - 03.21.07I very recently had the opportunity to interview Chris Dudley (Keyboards) & Tim McTague (Guitar) of the band Underoath on their current Canadian tour. Big thanks go to Anthony Farrauto over at EMI Canada for getting this set up for me as well as to all of the users who submitted questions that were used.

So how was your downtime at home after getting off of the international Taste of Chaos?
Chris: It was the best thing ever. It was really weird because it was the longest time that we have had off off where we’re actually living at home, not just off tour, that we can remember. I was actually hanging out with friends at home and not thinking about going on tour, spending time with my wife and playing with my dogs and stuff. It was really weird for the first month and a half or so but then after that I just got used to being at home and sleeping in my bed every night. When thinking about going back on tour again it was just this weird thing.
Tim: I just hung out really… ate a lot of BBQ, got a little bit fatter than usual. I also spent some legitimate time with my girlfriend which was probably the main reason why I was really excited about going home. It was a good time for sure!
Chris: And he rode his motorcycle.
Tim: Rode my hog.

You haven’t really done a proper national headlining tour for Define the Great Line yet, any plans for that?
Chris: September…
Tim: 25th. We think. Maybe.
Chris: We just got done talking about that about 10 minutes ago.
Tim: Definitely sometime in the fall.

Define the Great Line came out about 8 months ago and did really well. What’s your reaction to its success now that you’ve had some time to ponder it?
Tim: For me, it’s just cool to see that it did as well as it has with the kind of record that it is. I can see the marketability of the last record (They’re Only Chasing Safety) and I can see why lots of people could like that but with this record we knew that it was going to be more of a challenge for people to get it and think about it and really grasp it as a record. It’s not as easy and fun to listen to; it’s more of a thinking album. Just the fact that this many people have actually taken the time and given it a chance and have responded to it is cool for me.
Chris: I just think it’s weird. It’s just odd to know that there’s that many people that care about what we do. I was talking to some kids last night and they were telling their stories about what it took for them to get to the show. Tim and I were talking about it a couple nights ago about how these kids have their own story about what this song means to them or what that show meant to them. It’s really, really cool and awesome to see God working in that way and using what we love to do to affect people.

Did you have any goals in mind when releasing the album?
Chris: I think just as a whole we wanted to come out of the studio and just know that there just wasn’t anything better that we could have done. I know that, for me anyway, this record is the first time that I’ve actually felt like that. Every record that we’ve done before we’ve come out of the studio and a week later I’m just “Aww man we could have done this better and done that better…” Even now I listen to the record and I’m still really happy about it.

So really, you accomplished everything you wanted?
Chris: I never dreamed we would do anything even close to what we’re doing now. So in that aspect we accomplished everything that I wanted to do physically, business-wise, fan-wise…
Tim: Three years ago!
Chris: A loooong time ago. So all of this [gestures to everything]… I’m just along for the ride.

The album did leak really early; did any of you see that as having a positive effect at all?
Tim: I do. Honestly, it’s all opinion and no one will ever know if it would have done any better than it did… I can’t imagine that it would have.

A lot of people were saying the leak got them even more excited about the actual release.
Chris: Yeah, a lot of kids we saw at shows were like “Dude I got the new record but I’m definitely getting it the day it comes out because I like this song.”
Tim: So we’re going to leak ALL of our records now, crappy versions of all of our songs.
Chris: That’s what Nine Inch Nails is doing! They’re leaving random USB drives around at every so many shows in Europe and people are finding them with this huge surprise.

Can you tell me anything at all about the videos you just shot over in Sweden?
Tim: Yeah! We just shot two videos over in Sweden in this town called Skelleftea with our friends in Popcore. They did our last two videos as well. They’re two videos for "You’re Ever So Inviting" and… [turns around to ask Spencer] and "A Moment Suspended in Time". One involves a lot of ropes and a monster and it’s just pretty random and the other one we haven’t actually seen the final cut for yet. We just went over there and spent four days shooting and freezing. We all worked hard and the first one turned out good so we’re excited for the second.

When will they be released?
Chris: The one we have done now for "You’re Ever So Inviting" should be out within the next few weeks.

You guys said that the reason you stayed on Tooth and Nail/Solid State was because of the whole “family aspect.” Is there ever a chance that Underoath would move onto a major?
Both: [laughter]
Chris: Unless something crazy drastic changes over the next couple of years with the way major labels run things it’s not going to happen. The way that major labels work, in general, is pretty much the opposite of the way that we think things should be done. If a major label wants a thing done this way then we usually think that it doesn’t make any sense. We’re just so happy with Tooth and Nail right now that there’s really no reason for us to.

How is balancing Aaron and The Almost with Underoath at the moment?
Tim: Well we take off some time and then he [Aaron] goes off on tour and vice versa. And so far nothing has come up so, it’s been good!

Do you think it will affect anything in the future?
Chris: Hopefully it won’t!

Do you have any plans for recording any new stuff in the near future?
Tim: We are planning on recording something new at some point in the future! [laughter]
Chris: We’re really just in the baby stages of doing that right now. Nothing is to a point where we are even close to recording. We’re going to try and have a new record out sometime in ’08 so we will see how that works out.

I guess since it’s so early you guys might not know yet, but do you have any ideas about how it’s going to be leaning towards?
Tim: Well we’ve only got like, two songs written. The two songs that we do have are more on the heavier side but we’re not really out to write one type of song. There’ll probably be a lot of electronic stuff, some softer stuff, some really heavy stuff… whatever comes! We’ve always been that band that every record we can’t do anything and we’re so over what we did on the last record that we don’t even want to go near the idea of the last one but, like Chris said, this is the first record where we’ve all said “This sounds like Underoath. This is what we’ve wanted to sound like forever and this is the first time we’ve actually gotten there.” So I think that this next record is going to be more of an expansion off the foundation we set with Define the Great Line. Our last records have always just been trying to get away from the previous so we definitely know where we want to go and we nailed a lot of things in our heads that we wanted to do so we’ll probably just take those ideas and expand on them.

Is there anybody that you would like to work with on the next album?
Tim: Adam [Dutkiewicz].
Chris: Yeah, Adam! I’d like to go back and work with him because it was just so laid back and he’s such a rad dude. I was actually thinking about that for awhile the other night and trying to think about who I’d like to work with instead of him but no dice. As of right now he is who I’d want to work with.

What is the current status with the other side projects going on? Chris with The Roman…
Chris: It’s called The Roman Carnival of 1510 and it’s pretty much at a standpoint right now.

[Note: The following is all a paraphrase of what was said as none of us realised the recorder had actually stopped recording. I’ve tried to make this as accurate as it can be, I apologise and this won’t happen again!]

Chris: Nothing is happening with it, there’s just so much going on with us right now and Keith from Every Time I Die that we really haven’t gone anywhere with it.

And Tim, you have one with Nate from Anberlin? Is there any name for it yet?
Tim: Yeah, it’s untitled still. We’ve got about 7 or 8 songs written right now and we hope to go and record them really soon. We’re hoping to release it later on this year.
Chris: I had no idea that was still going on! Who is putting it out?
Tim: Yeah man! We’re going to be doing it ourselves, no ones going to want to buy it! [laughter]

How do you respond to the “scene elitists” that refuse to listen to your music because of your popularity?
Chris: It’s just whatever.
Tim: Well I respect their opinions because I know that I do the same thing too, discrediting a band because they’re really popular. Everything that a band in that position does gets harder to justify according to those people. It’s hard to think of that though, because I don’t really see us in that light. But really it’s going to happen and there’s nothing that I can do to stop it at all.

[/end paraphrasing]

I was talking to some people and they mentioned that they were going to your show because they really loved the song Reinventing Your Exit. Do you believe in the power of “The Single”?
Chris: As in releasing a single?

Yes.
Chris: I believe that it works. Every band that I have ever known, when they play the song that is on the radio, everyone goes crazy but then doesn’t do anything else. But we don’t believe that that is the way we should be perceived.
Tim: Actually our “biggest single” you could say of our last album we won’t even play because we don’t really like it very much anymore. It’s just not fun to play.
Chris: The way that we see it is we would rather play songs that we have fun playing because we think that in turn people that are watching the show will be able to tell we are having fun instead of us going through the motions and not really being into it. We’re going to play what makes us happy to play and hopefully the crowd is up for that.

You recently announced a tour with Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, the Dirty South tour. How do you feel about touring with your old vocalist, Dallas?
Chris: I’m stoked! I hang out with him as much as possible when we’re home because I live about an hour from him, I’m in Alabama and he’s in Georgia. We hang out as much as we possibly can and we’ve been throwing around the idea of playing [together] for awhile. But we’ll either be supporting or they’ll be busy and it finally just worked out to where we’re going to be able to go on tour together. It’s going to be fun because we haven’t been hanging out on tour since he was in the band, obviously, so it will be fun.

Will there be any special appearances from him in your set at all?
Chris: No, no…

What is your favourite or most memorable thing you have ever read or seen about yourselves whether on the internet or in magazines or whatever?
Chris: I read that our old singer left the band me and him got in a fist fight over a twinkie!
Tim: That was pretty good… oh, and that Chris was in a band called Roman Candle 17.

What was it like having one of your videos nominated for a Grammy?
Tim: We weren’t really, our friends were, but it was cool. We get to say that we are so that’s fun. A couple of our guys went and Popcore came out, it was a really big deal for them and for me I was happier about it seeing them so stoked then “Ohh, my band’s nominated for a Grammy.” They’ve been working really hard and they come from this small town and they just never thought that they would get to where they are let alone nominated for the biggest award in that kind of thing.
Chris: They’re the ones that did all the work. They came up with everything and pretty much all we did was stand in a fake basement and play a fake show and then we went home.

How did you get hooked up with them in the first place?
Tim: Our friends in Norma Jean actually shot a video with them and they’ve done a video for a band called Cult of Luna that was really good. After seeing those two videos we decided to try it out and it’s been the best thing ever since!

I read that you have an Underoath string tribute group?
Chris: Everyone does!
Tim: More ammo for the elitists. Us and Yellowcard and everyone and their mother does.
[laughter]

Who would you most like to see cover one of your songs?
Chris: I think that the groups that I say I want to hear cover us I would feel bad if they actually did, having to play our music instead of theirs so I honestly couldn’t say.
Tim: I think that to even deem yourself coverable is a little bit of a stretch for us because we listen to bands that write music and we’re just amazed. Sometimes I listen to music and I just wish I could write a riff like that, wish that we could write a song that makes someone feel like I feel. Sometimes certain people say that to us but I don’t really think of ourselves as a band like that.
Chris: There are a lot of bands on Youtube that cover our stuff.

Do you do that a lot? Go onto websites and check out videos and what not?
Chris: I go on from time to time to check it out. It’s just really fun to see because you’ll see people in their bedrooms playing their songs.

I like the kids that make their own bands and play air guitar and lip sync to songs.
Chris: I get embarrassed! I can’t watch those videos and I’ll just turn it off.

What are your future plans for the next year or so?
Chris: We’re doing part of Warped Tour and we’re doing the US headlining tour we talked about, we’re doing some stuff in Australia and probably some stuff in Europe.
Tim: We’re doing a tour called "Come and Live" which is good. It’s a benefit tour that we did two years ago with our label and some friends and we’ll be doing it again this year.

Any plans for a live album or DVD at all?
Chris: Probably never.
Tim: Have you heard us live?
Chris: Yeah, if you just heard us live we’re not one of those “live bands” or live DVD kind of thing. Radiohead could make a live DVD, Foo Fighters could do a live DVD but we can’t do that.
Tim: When you can make a live DVD you can have someone cover your songs! Those are the rules.

Well I’ve run out of time so I guess that’s the last questions. Any last words at all?
Tim: I know Ryan Rado.
Chris: Cool!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 94
11:53 PM on 03/22/07
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
No tough questions about their Christianity, their feeling that a homosexual act is a sin, and their blantant Botch ripoffs on the new album. Weak interview.
11:57 PM on 03/22/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
No tough questions about their Christianity, their feeling that a homosexual act is a sin, and their blantant Botch ripoffs on the new album. Weak interview.
Well, what do you need to know about their "Christianity" - they're Christian, question answered.

Their feelings on homosexuals is really not something that's needed to be discussed -- for one, because if that's something they hold as a belief, I don't see it being broadcast in an interview. Nor do I think (or expect) any of my interviewers to have the balls to ask them those kinds of questions. If you'd like me to get a response on this issue -- I'll email their manager and see what he says about it ... but beyond that, it's not the time or place to ask that kind of question.

And the last "question" - isn't even a question.
11:58 PM on 03/22/07
Jason Tate
User Info.
Great interview - very nice addition to staff - -I can't wait to see what else will be done in the future.
12:00 AM on 03/23/07
holdontightly
User Info.
good interview..the questions asked were good and got good answers.
12:01 AM on 03/23/07
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
Killer job, Louise.
12:02 AM on 03/23/07
Louise Heng
User Info.
Reiterating what Jason has said, I felt like questions like those were inappropriate for the interview I was doing. I'm not there to Barbra Walters them!

There were many questions that people suggested that I didn't use/didn't touch on as MANY have already been answered in past interviews that both we and others have done before.
12:06 AM on 03/23/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
That was definitely a good interview. A lot of good questions asked, and a lot of good answers.
12:07 AM on 03/23/07
CrenshawPunch
User Info.

The fuck you mean blatant Botch Rip-offs? I posted about this in another thread. You are the 10 millionth person to say that underoath/norma jean/the chariot/insertbandhere rips off botch. Its called musical influences and there is nothing wrong with showing your influences through your music. Or are you now going to rag on every band that sounds like or rips-off the beatles? Cause thats a lot of fucking bands.

Great interview btw.
12:07 AM on 03/23/07
hendyds88
User Info.
awesome!
12:12 AM on 03/23/07
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
The fuck you mean blatant Botch Rip-offs? I posted about this in another thread. You are the 10 millionth person to say that underoath/norma jean/the chariot/insertbandhere rips off botch. Its called musical influences and there is nothing wrong with showing your influences through your music. Or are you now going to rag on every band that sounds like or rips-off the beatles? Cause thats a lot of fucking bands.

Great interview btw.

got em. hahaha.

dope interview. are you new staff?
12:19 AM on 03/23/07
Burning Star IV
Mornings Taste Like Turpentine
User Info.
Great stuff!
12:24 AM on 03/23/07
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.
Well, what do you need to know about their "Christianity" - they're Christian, question answered.

Their feelings on homosexuals is really not something that's needed to be discussed -- for one, because if that's something they hold as a belief, I don't see it being broadcast in an interview. Nor do I think (or expect) any of my interviewers to have the balls to ask them those kinds of questions. If you'd like me to get a response on this issue -- I'll email their manager and see what he says about it ... but beyond that, it's not the time or place to ask that kind of question.

And the last "question" - isn't even a question.

Their manager has already spoken out about it and just said they're nice guys, leave them alone, but I don't think that excuses it. By the way, THEY themselves brought it up in a magazine when I believe Tim stated that the act of homosexuality is wrong. They put it in the public forum for discussion so they should be called to answer for it and defend their bigotry. Their manager seems like a really good dude and his beliefs don't seem to reflect theirs (at least Tim's) so I'd rather hear Underoath themselves respond to the issue.
12:26 AM on 03/23/07
Nowisnotthetime
TFC
User Info.

Great interview btw.

There's a difference between being influenced by and straight up stealing riffs. Even the Botch guys know it (See the commentary of their newest DVD). Riff for riff, these dudes are stealing things from Botch.
12:30 AM on 03/23/07
CrenshawPunch
User Info.
Their manager has already spoken out about it and just said they're nice guys, leave them alone, but I don't think that excuses it. By the way, THEY themselves brought it up in a magazine when I believe Tim stated that the act of homosexuality is wrong. They put it in the public forum for discussion so they should be called to answer for it and defend their bigotry. Their manager seems like a really good dude and his beliefs don't seem to reflect theirs (at least Tim's) so I'd rather hear Underoath themselves respond to the issue.

How the hell is that bigotry? It's a religious belief.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos