AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Young Hollywood - 03.30.11

Interviewed by
Young Hollywood - 03.30.11Young Hollywood is an up and coming pop-rock act that will be sure to be on your iPod summer playlist. Bringing catchy hooks and just the right amount of aggression, the band is destined to be huge soon enough.

1. State your name(s) and role(s) in the band.

Zack Fulton (Vocals)
Matt Alongi (Guitar)
Dillon Hammel (Drums)
Shaughn Adamski (Bass)
Corey Martel (Guitar)

2. Brief history on the band and how did you come about the name and what does it mean?

Over the past several years, members came and went until we found the chemistry of the current lineup. Young Hollywood was formed with members from all over the New York tri-state area that came together with similar goals and drive to succeed with playing music. Everyone is weary in joining a band as it is very similar to a relationship; ultimately learning more about the others as you go along. Fortunately, we have all been in other bands before, some more successful than others, and just vibing off each other has become more natural to us.

Picking a band name is probably the most difficult thing to do as an artist since it will be the identity of the music which you write and is the foundation of everything within your band. The name, Young Hollywood, is based on an overall idea of striving for what you want to do and stopping at nothing to achieve your dreams. Now, that may sound cheesy, but many people have dreams and aspirations to fulfill but never believe in themselves enough to just go for it with all they have. They sit at work wishing they could have been that actress, model, or musician when they had the chance. All those things represent, is being free and doing what you truly aspire to do. We are doing what we want to do because we love doing it. We chose the name because it emulates that idea of getting where you want to be.

3. Where did you go to record your release, and what was recording with Zack Odom and Kenneth Mount like?

We went down to Atlanta, GA to record with Zack and Kenneth in their newly remodeled personal studio, and it was one of the best and most outrageous experiences of our lives. We were nervous on the 14 hour drive down, but once we arrived, they immediately made us feel at home. We lived in the studio and spent 12 hours a day tracking, writing, recording and bouncing ideas off of Zack and Kenneth. It was not all business though! Z&K showed us all around Atlanta, from their favorite spots to eat, to their favorite bars. They have worked with tons of huge artists, but they made us feel like the most important clients they have ever had. The positive energy that they create comes through on the songs that they work on, and without them, our record would not be as tight as it was when we brought in the initial tracks.

4. When can we expect your first release, and what should listeners who have not yet heard Young Hollywood before, expect?

We have our EP floating around the internet on our Purevolume site (www.purevolume.com/weareyounghollywood) as well as an exclusive stream of three new songs on our Warped Tour Battle of the Bands page (www.battleofthebands.com/u/Young_Hollywood). As for an official release, the date is unknown at this point but we hope it is to be released very soon. We were lucky enough to work with Zack Odom and Kenneth Mount who are some of the most talented producers, we feel, in the music industry and played a tremendous part in sculpting our sound. That being said, every note of every part in every song has been well planned and well thought out to create songs to the fullest potential. Without name dropping other bands, we consider ourselves Pop/Rock and strived to emulate the energy that we carry on stage and within our EP. For instance, there are plenty of half time parts where we throw our guitars and huge drum fills in and that will hopefully keep you coming back for more, or singing one of the vocal hooks in the shower. We want the listener to get that “wow” factor out of our songs and remember them in the days, months and we hope years down the road.

5. Can you take us through each song and explain the meaning behind the lyrics for each track on the EP?

She's My Chicago - Chicago is a song written about making a long distance relationship work. Even when you are apart, that person is still on your mind all the time, and that gets you through. Distance makes the heart grow stronger.

Lust at First Sight - Lust is about making every day and night count. Whether its your last day of college, or you are leaving for tour, you always want to go out in style.

Summer Love- Like the title says, Summer Love is about that girl you met on the beach and cannot get out of your head. Its about leaving your cares behind, but knowing that once the Summer is over, you will have to go back to real life. Until then though, lets just have some fun.

Dangerous (Right Here, Right Now) - Dangerous is a song dedicated to recounting your first love, first kiss, or first everything. Everyone has a first, and this song is written about all the good and bad, and especially the things that you do not forget.

Can We Just Pretend? - This song was the oldest one written for the record, but was the only song Zack and Kenneth both agreed had to be on the album. The lyrics in the song describe the moment you start to fall for a person, and the feeling that you don't want to let that person go.

6. What song do you feel most attached to?

The song that we feel the most attached to has to be the second song on our EP, Lust at First Sight. The song was created by combining the ideas of two older songs we had written, while still keeping the concept of a party and someone stealing your breath away at first glance. The energy throughout the song is great, and it showcases all sides of the band, from smooth lyrics to catchy guitar leads and driving drums. Finally, the song is by far our favorite to play live because of the great connection we create with the fans who come out to see us. 'Lust' is important to us because just like the guys in the band, the song keeps you excited and intrigued from start to finish.

7. Being out of the Northeast, what influences have you attached on to?

New York City is known as “the city that never sleeps.” As Young Hollywood, we try to live by that motto and work until we literally cannot keep our eyes open anymore. Being in a band is competitive enough, not to mention living in a city that is all about living a fast pace life, its easy to fall behind or let it get the best of you. We try to use it as our advantage because as NYC never sleeps, we never sleep, and thus we see results that much faster.

8. What are the plans for 2011 and beyond for Young Hollywood?

We have just begun working with Collateral Artist Group, LLC; a 360 degree entertainment company that is giving us direction and carries the same hard-working characteristics that we value. One of our goals for 2011 is to really connect with our fans and bridge the gap between the internet and our listeners. Ultimately letting the fans into our lives as Young Hollywood. Using all of our social networking sites has been extremely beneficial, but we are looking to truly expand outward and communicating directly with our fans and showing them the same excitement that we have playing our music that they hopefully get while listening to it. Also, we are working on getting out on tour on a National level so that we can play in front of those fans that would not normally get to see us.

9. Band links?

"Like" us on - facebook.com/weareyounghollywood
Listen to our EP - purevolume.com/weareyounghollywood

ReverbNation - reverbnation.com/weareyounghollywood
Blog - weareyounghollywood.tumblr.com/
Twitter - Follow the band twitter.com/YHband
Twitter - Follow our fan's page
twitter.com/YHinsiders

10. Anything else you would like to say?

We would just like thank AbsolutePunk.net for the interview and for the stream of our song, "Lust At First Sight." We look forward to hearing everyone's feedback and are excited to get out on the road to meet and play for all our fans!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 49
09:47 AM on 03/30/11
@GetAlonginated
WEAREYOUNGHOLLYWOOD.tumbl r.com
User Info.
nice
11:36 AM on 03/30/11
Glenn_Muscles27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This band looks and sounds like a bunch of queers. Absolutepunk needs to stop portraying shitty bands.
11:41 AM on 03/30/11
Poppunk007
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I saw that this bands stuff was produced by Zack Odom and Kenneth Mount, so i gave it a listen. Complete garbage... why would 2 amazing producers even take on the job of producing such mediocre/generic music. I'm a huge fan of pop punk and power pop but this band has absolutely nothing that sets them apart from your everyday ripoff besides the high quality of their recordings. [/font]
11:46 AM on 03/30/11
ashley916
User Info.
I really cannot get into this band. I've seen them live like twice already, and unfortunately will be seeing them more and more over the next few months since they seem to be getting on every show I want to see in CT. I liked them when they were To Write A Riot and I wish they would go back to that
12:21 PM on 03/30/11
@GetAlonginated
User Info.
Hey Ashley this is Matt from Young Hollywood

I wanted to reach out to you, not just because you said you didn't like us anymore, but it really breaks my heart to see a former fan not enjoy what we're doing now. We've grown as people and musicians, and it was time for a change and hopefully you can respect that. I'm not expecting you to love our music -- everyone has their own tastes and preferences. However, I would like you to give us a chance as people. We're still the same fun, friendly guys we were before, and even if you don't enjoy our music as much as you used to, you can still be our friend and hang out with us at CT shows :)

If you email me getalonginated@gmail.com, I will send you our entire EP for FREE, and next time we see you at a show, we'll give you a bracelet and some stickers to show our appreciation to you. We have been working countless hours at this to make sure we're the best band we can be, and hopefully you can understand this! I'm sure you have a passion you work really hard at, and understand the value and importance of hard work.

Hopefully next time you see us in CT you'll be pleasantly surprised with our performance :)
12:23 PM on 03/30/11
Glenn_Muscles27
User Info.
12:26 PM on 03/30/11
Glenn_Muscles27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey Ashley this is Matt from Young Hollywood

I wanted to reach out to you, not just because you said you didn't like us anymore, but it really breaks my heart to see a former fan not enjoy what we're doing now. We've grown as people and musicians, and it was time for a change and hopefully you can respect that. I'm not expecting you to love our music -- everyone has their own tastes and preferences. However, I would like you to give us a chance as people. We're still the same fun, friendly guys we were before, and even if you don't enjoy our music as much as you used to, you can still be our friend and hang out with us at CT shows :)

If you email me getalonginated@gmail.com, I will send you our entire EP for FREE, and next time we see you at a show, we'll give you a bracelet and some stickers to show our appreciation to you. We have been working countless hours at this to make sure we're the best band we can be, and hopefully you can understand this! I'm sure you have a passion you work really hard at, and understand the value and importance of hard work.

Hopefully next time you see us in CT you'll be pleasantly surprised with our performance :)
Bribing your ex-fans? Really? You guys are pathetic.

12:36 PM on 03/30/11
@GetAlonginated
User Info.
it's not bribing at all, it's showing appreciation for fans who stuck around for 3 years
12:48 PM on 03/30/11
Glenn_Muscles27
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Re: Young Hollywood
Mark as Unread | Delete
10:34 AM on 03/30/11
ashley916
User Info.

"HAHA that is exactly what i was thinking after i read that. i'm like wow really? because giving me your ep is going to make me fall in love with you? ughhh i can't even..."

12:54 PM on 03/30/11
@GetAlonginated
User Info.
lol but you're still here commenting on our thread #winning
12:57 PM on 03/30/11
Suprtorque919
Gunz-4-Hire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow. People are idiots. Haters are gonna hate... I give you guys props. The music doesn't sound bad to me. Granted, its not as much my style to begin with. But I could see a lot of people liking it... Seeing that a ton of people on this site give credit to garbage bands like Attack Attack!, and whatever else comes out, I think you guys are headed in a much better direction. Keep up the good work, and who cares what people have to say..
01:02 PM on 03/30/11
ALOSEXMONEY
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bribing your ex-fans? Really? You guys are pathetic.

This is what I was thinking. Also, your band name is legitimately awful. Why are all the songs about girls when zacky f is fat and can't get any? Lastly, Matt ur gey
01:05 PM on 03/30/11
ALOSEXMONEY
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Wow. People are idiots. Haters are gonna hate... I give you guys props. The music doesn't sound bad to me. Granted, its not as much my style to begin with. But I could see a lot of people liking it... Seeing that a ton of people on this site give credit to garbage bands like Attack Attack!, and whatever else comes out, I think you guys are headed in a much better direction. Keep up the good work, and who cares what people have to say..
This music is no one's style bro, unless they are fond of the genre "awful"
01:12 PM on 03/30/11
Suprtorque919
Gunz-4-Hire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This music is no one's style bro, unless they are fond of the genre "awful"
And yet, so many far worse band are praised and loved all over this site...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos