Password

Album Review

The Animal Sounds - The City and the Sea Album Cover

The Animal Sounds - The City and the Sea

Reviewed by
Animal Sounds - The City and the Sea
Record Label: unsigned
Release Date: March 18, 2011
The average musician in their early 20’s comes up with music sounding similar to Asking Alexandria, School Boy Humor, or Metro Station: music that is more associated with the “wild days,” youthfulness, and staying young forever. It is a rare occurrence to have a band of this age to sound equivalent to a modern-day Smiths. Dalton’s voice is a has a natural oldies’ sound to it; one that would be envisioned back in the day- in the best way possible, of course. Animal Sounds’ album The City and the Sea accomplishes a refreshing, natural sound that cleanses your ears from all the electronic, computer-created sounds that are ever prevalent in this time.

The first song, “Moroccan Sun,” begins with somewhat saddening lyrics, “I’m so sorry you said to me, before you skipped out,” but never fear, he prevails. The first verse stays slowish, following the lyrics in a way that leads one to envision someone remembering that sad moment, then going into the pre-chorus with defiant sounding music to keep up with “but the salt and the sea are too much a part of me.” From here, the song looks up both musically and lyrically as he gathers hope; the lyrical content being about waiting for a girl no matter where she goes, saying he’ll follow her around the world if he has to, as the climax of the song is accomplished.

The next song continues on with hopefulness and determination with a reassuring subject matter that is conveniently the title of the song (another plus: that they accurately name their titles) “I Won’t Leave Your Side.” This song exhibits interesting guitar and bass handiwork; the bass taking it over throughout the verses, and the guitar starting with the very beginning lead, next flowing gently into a slower segment with an ambient sounding guitar effect. The ambience was not only in the guitar though, it was also in the synth sounds (that were in good taste), and the percussion work.

The City and the Sea is approximately 40 minutes of catchy lyrics, catchy leads, catchy songs in general that WILL stick and stay stuck in your head. But unlike a certain 12 year old created, day-of-the-week song, you’ll prefer it there. This album is very refreshing, and one that I strongly recommend.

Recommended If You LikeThe Smiths, Ryan Adams, Butch Walker
This review is a user submitted review from Samanthaesg. You can see all of Samanthaesg's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:38 AM on 04/04/11
Calvin Lauber
User Info.
This album is soooo good. you can get it here- http://animalsounds.bandcamp.com/

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos