AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Thursday - No Devolución Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 5
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 10
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9.88
Creativity 7.31
Lasting Value 9.44
Reviewer Tilt 9.69
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Thursday - No Devolución

Reviewed by: followyourbliss (04/07/11)
Thursday - No Devolución
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: April 12, 2011

An author's goal is to start their novel by capturing the reader's attention, making the reader wonder what's next and keep them coming back for more. Lead singer Geoff Rickly paints a story of devotion, pain and love through the pages of Thursday's latest release, No Devolución, beginning with the opening track, "Fast To The End." The album opens with a thick bass line, with the vocals bursting through soon after. Throughout the entire album, Rickly's vocals are airy and atmospheric, seemingly wrapping themselves around the band's instruments, creating a powerful yet serene sound.

All of Thursday's efforts have been edgy, emotional, powerful and meaningful, and No Devolución follows that trend. However, the sound of this album is notably different than past releases. After the first few songs, it is apparent that Thursday are moving in a new directional musically. That being said, flashes of their past work still appear in spots on No Devolución. The album's fourth track, "Sparks Against The Sun," picks up the pace and features a bridge reminiscent of their 2006 release, A City By The Light Divided. Rickly's vocals are fired up for the next track, "Open Quotes," showing hints of 2003's War All The Time.

No Devolución's two most powerful tracks appear just past the midway point of the album. The guitar work that opens "Magnets Caught In A Metal Heart" grips you immediately, and the song doesn't let up, showcasing the best chorus of the album. The next track, "Empty Glass," is organ-heavy, slow and emotional. You can almost feel the pain in Rickly's voice when he utters "I lost my wedding ring today/down the kitchen sink/now it's glimmering somewhere far away/now I'm sitting here/with an empty glass/waiting for the day to swallow me whole."

The album rounds out with more of the same: serene vocals with quiet emotion, riveting lyrics and solid guitar riffs. The drums only really stand out on "A Gun In The First Act," and the bass doesn't make itself overly apparent throughout the album. Overall, No Devolución is a solid step forward for the veteran underground rockers in Thursday. I believe when their discography is looked back upon somewhere down the road, No Devolución will mark a turning point in Thursday's career.

Rating: 7.5 out of 10
Tracklisting1. Fast To The End
2. No Answers
3. A Darker Forest
4. Sparks Against The Sun
5. Open Quotes
6. Past And Future Ruins
7. Magnets Caught In A Metal Heart
8. Empty Glass
9. A Gun In The First Act
10. Millimeter
11. Turnpike Divides
12. Stay True

Recommended If You LikeMeaningful rock music, Rise Against, older Thursday releases

http://www.myspace.com/thursday

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
11:20 PM on 04/17/11
brook183
@brooks_an
User Info.
Sadly, I do give a fuck about an Oxford comma, and you could use them more often.

And why is Rise Against a RIYL?
06:04 AM on 04/18/11
cwhit412
User Info.
Rating does not match review. At all.
07:41 AM on 04/18/11
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
7.5 really??? This album was really damn good!
06:16 PM on 04/18/11
Steeeve Perry
Pushin' th' little daisies
User Info.
You praise the album with only a couple of minor complaints, then give "reviewer tilt" a 5.
Then you recommend it to fans of Rise Against, who I like and do make "meaningful music" but sound very different to, and old Thursday despite having said it is a turning point for them.
Review wasn't bad, but score and RIYL were confusing.
Also, I'd reccommend you give this some more spins -- it's really good.
09:47 AM on 04/23/11
lld767
cmon!
User Info.
Rise against? Lolwut
11:58 PM on 04/26/11
SourStuff
Five Body Blade Vocalist
User Info.
Kill this guy. This album was nearly 100%.
09:26 AM on 04/28/11
JorynnRace
User Info.
I would not EVER compare Thursday, especially this album, to Rise Against. Apples and oranges, much?

And I agree with SourStuff, the more I listen to this album the better it gets; very nearly a 100% IMO
06:52 PM on 05/04/11
HanLuk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There is no excuse for this score. This album is at least a 90. I would say 93%. The reviewer tilt is kinda bullshit as well.

Also.....whats with the RIYL? Rise Against? Really?
05:38 PM on 08/29/11
followyourbliss
User Info.
7.5 really??? This album was really damn good!

After listening to this album more and more over the last 4-5 months, I'd definitely score it higher now. It's hard to really gauge how much you're going to like an album after only hearing it 4-5 times in a span of a day or two.
05:41 PM on 08/29/11
followyourbliss
User Info.
You praise the album with only a couple of minor complaints, then give "reviewer tilt" a 5.
Then you recommend it to fans of Rise Against, who I like and do make "meaningful music" but sound very different to, and old Thursday despite having said it is a turning point for them.
Review wasn't bad, but score and RIYL were confusing.
Also, I'd reccommend you give this some more spins -- it's really good.

At the time I submitted the review, I wasn't sure what Reviewer Tilt was, hence the 5.
Honestly I can't remember what triggered me to compare it to Rise Against, but I'm sure it made sense (to me, at least) at the time.
And I have given it significantly more spins now, and I would definitely score it higher.
05:41 PM on 08/29/11
followyourbliss
User Info.
Kill this guy. This album was nearly 100%.

Please, do not kill me! I would say it's higher than my original score, but not nearly 100%. I respect your opinion though.
04:16 PM on 08/30/11
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
At the time I submitted the review, I wasn't sure what Reviewer Tilt was, hence the 5.
Honestly I can't remember what triggered me to compare it to Rise Against, but I'm sure it made sense (to me, at least) at the time.
And I have given it significantly more spins now, and I would definitely score it higher.
That's good, I mean if you don't like it that's fine and you're well within your rights to explain why, but I thought you would have been better served by listening to it until it clicked.
It's gotta be better to take the time and eventually enjoy a record than just dismiss it right?
06:52 PM on 08/30/11
followyourbliss
User Info.
That's good, I mean if you don't like it that's fine and you're well within your rights to explain why, but I thought you would have been better served by listening to it until it clicked.
It's gotta be better to take the time and eventually enjoy a record than just dismiss it right?

Sometimes it's hard to listen to an album enough times for it to click when you're reviewing it. There's only a certain amount of time I had to listen to it before I had to submit the review. I now fully appreciate the album because it's been out for months and I've had a lot more listens. I don't think I dismissed the album back in April, I just wrote what I thought of it at the time. Also, it's unfair and difficult to try to write a review based on how much you might like it in the future.
08:03 PM on 08/30/11
Steeeve Perry
User Info.
Sometimes it's hard to listen to an album enough times for it to click when you're reviewing it. There's only a certain amount of time I had to listen to it before I had to submit the review. I now fully appreciate the album because it's been out for months and I've had a lot more listens. I don't think I dismissed the album back in April, I just wrote what I thought of it at the time. Also, it's unfair and difficult to try to write a review based on how much you might like it in the future.
Whose deadline were you working towards?
It's unfair and difficult to try to write a review without listening to the record enough to pass fair judgement in the first place.
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests