AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Karmella's Game - What He Doesn't Know Won't Hurt Him Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Karmella's Game - What He Doesn't Know Won't Hurt Him

Reviewed by: Saves The Night (04/01/07)
Karmella’s Game - What He Doesn’t Know Won’t Hurt Him
Records Label: Speedbump Recordings
Release Date: 2003
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/karmellasgame

Karmella’s Game is a band from Baltimore, Maryland with a style that is very unique that they call synth rock. They have been under the radar for a long time now and undeservingly so. In fact, I went to a show simply out of boredom yet found that the price of admission wasn’t wasted and by the end of the show I had purchased not only a shirt but their disc entitled What He Doesn’t Know Won’t Hurt Him as well. I was wondering if maybe it was only a fluke and that the live show was just exceptional on that given evening. I was wrong.

The first thing that hits you when you put on this disc is the sheer difference in how the music sounds compared to most bands that are out there playing today. The music is fresh and there is never a dull moment or a seemingly similar sound as every song has its own feel and identity. I must admit though, some of the lyrics bother me in that they seem to come off as corny at times, but then there are others that just seem to flow wonderfully and I find myself singing along to them while tapping my toes to the beat.

I can understand if the vocals are difficult for some listeners to get into, but I find that they fit the songs and I don’t personally hear a problem with them. Everyone from the band participates in vocals at one point or another, which I find very interesting as most bands have their leading man or lady and then the rest of the band is mute for the most part besides the occasional backup scream. From a creative standpoint, the album is unlike anything else I have ever heard. But if I had to compare them to a band everyone knows, I would say that they remind me of Hellogoodbye.

Lasting value is sort of limited due to how short the playtime runs. I literally listened to the whole disc through once while writing this review. That is not to say that what is on the tracks isn’t good, because that would be a lie. Every track is a quality song, and every song is catchy to the point that it’s infectious.

The take-home message here is, if you like synth rock, give them a listen. If you don’t like synth rock, give them a chance because you may just be surprised. A link to their myspace page is on the top of this review and it would be a good test to see how you feel about the band. I would definitely suggest that everyone at least give them a listen. You never know, you may just find that you enjoy them.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests