AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hot Rod Circuit – The Underground is a Dying Breed Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.42
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9
Production 9.17
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.58
Average: 93%

Hot Rod Circuit – The Underground is a Dying Breed

Reviewed by: Saves The Night (04/01/07)
Hot Rod CircuitThe Underground is a Dying Breed
Record Label: Immortal Records
Release Date: March 27, 2007

I have been a long time listener of Hot Rod Circuit, but they are merely one of the many bands that through time I realized I was never really going to be able to get into a great deal. I wrote them off as another stone amid the pile of grey boulders that I had tossed to the side because they did not receive my approval beyond certain tracks. They had had a couple of songs that stuck on me in the past but their past albums simply let me down. Months ago I had received word that a demo had leaked out for a song called “Stateside” and surprisingly my ears enjoyed it. But then I immediately remembered how much I loved “Inhabit” from their previous effort, Reality’s Coming Through, and how much of a let down that album had been.

My main push in deciding to pick up the album, The Underground is a Dying Breed, last week came from my love of the artwork. It was done by the same guy who did the artwork for Saves the Day’s In Reverie, Stephan Doitschinoff, and I felt that that was a good omen in deciding if the album was worth taking a chance on. I understand that this is a poor reason to give an album a chance and sort of judges a book by its cover. But in this case it worked out, as this album has really caught me and has me hooked.

Some of the clear standout tracks in my mind are “Stateside”, “Battleship”, and “What We Believe In”. On the first five or six spins of the disc I found I loved all of the songs and that it was becoming an irresistible experience very fast. I had exams to study for but it became more of a priority to jam out to this CD than to study for them. When I was sitting there studying I would get the urge to throw it on. I would go for a drive in my car and these songs were welcome to be my companions for the journey. However, after about another five or six listens I could tell which songs would be lasting and which ones I would soon find I was able to skip over easily. The only real song I have a huge gripe with is the bonus track, "Camo". It just doesn’t seem to fit on the album at all, and I feel that “6-8” would have been a better way to end the album. In my opinion, the weaker tracks on the album are “Vampire” and, as mentioned before, the bonus track.

Lyrically, I feel a lot of the songs are simple but they don’t ever feel cliché or generic. It works great in that it comes off as a solid album to jam out to and it still has you singing along. I guess a good way to sum it up would be that it isn’t going to blow your mind but it doesn’t matter because the songs are so good that they will put a smile on your face regardless. The lasting value of the CD is pretty good. It has been a week and I have still yet to grow sick of listening to the CD. Granted there are songs that I do skip over, but as a whole it will have a great deal of staying power in your collection. I think I can predict that this album will probably be in many top ten of the year charts. In a great year for music like 2007, that’s speaking volumes in favor of the album.

In closing, Hot Rod Circuit fans should be pleased to know that HRC still has its flair, and to those who are looking to get into them, I can think of no better album to start with then The Underground is a Dying Breed. It is very accessible and catchy and should find its way easily into your hearts.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7.
01:06 PM on 04/02/07
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
the first sentence is extremely long. I've got to be honest, and I know this doesnt mean anything coming from a stranger, I don't really dig your reviews. They feel too "thrown together" and sloppy. I have plenty of reviews on this site that I encourage you to bash if you like. I think you have potential, but quality is way better than quantity.

-Blake
03:06 PM on 04/02/07
accessdenied
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, I personally have liked most of the albums you reviewed.
03:10 PM on 04/03/07
Branevember31
Eric
User Info.
nice review Todd, I really like this cd, and every album you've reviewed so far

keep it up!
02:45 PM on 04/04/07
baton
ftfmusic.net
User Info.
just listened to this album, awesome, i like some songs more some less, hidden track really did not fit to the album but that's why it's hidden and kenny vasoli is singing on u.s. royalty, it's amazing, but i heard anthony green had his part too, didn't catch that - could anyone tell me what song he's on?! thanks
12:18 PM on 04/06/07
bloodyr0mance87
User Info.
i have the same feelings about HRC as you do. i was never really impressed with their previous efforts, but this albums is GREAT! i'm listening to it for the second time today as i type this. it surprised me quite a bit, and that's a good thing. btw, i like your reviews. a lot of what you say i agree with, and they're mostly short and too the point. keep it up.
07:12 AM on 05/02/07
awkward_stu
User Info.
This like all there albums are amazing! A standout track that the reviewer missed in my opinion is also "U.S. Royalty" it really doesn't get better then this track.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests