AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
O'Death - Outside Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

O'Death - Outside

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (04/22/11)
O’DeathOutside
Record Label: Ernest Jenning
Release Date: April 19, 2011

Who?

O’Death are a gothic Americana band from Brooklyn whose bluegrass-tinged sound would seem more likely to originate from the Ozarks or Appalachia than the hipster capital. Outside follows Broken Hymns, Limbs and Skin (2008) and a pair of earlier self-released efforts.

How Is It?

Besides boasting some seriously badass cover art, Outside contains plenty of music to match, as it’s filled with songs that are organic, aggressive and eerie. While the arrangements are steadfastly rustic—indeed, the album largely abandons some of the schizophrenic Gogol Bordello-like propensities present on their earlier albums—this is no rustling Abigail Washburn album. Instead, vocalist Greg Jamie sounds like a haunted Neil Young taking charge of Nick Cave’s banjo-toting Bad Seeds. That sounds like an odd juxtaposition, but the description is apt; O’Death adopt the classic rural sound typically used for songs of praise, whether that be of the Lord or of bucolic life, but their songs are infused with a dark, sinister edge and are anything but idyllic.

Outside is also the band’s most cohesive work to date, maintaining a consistently unsettling mood throughout its duration, in contrast with their more mercurial (though entertaining) earlier offerings, and would make a fitting soundtrack for a noir-ish Western flick. The band stray most from their bluegrass influences with their use of some martial drumming which transform songs like “Ghost Head” and “Alamar” into ominous marches. The robust strings are also a dominant presence, whether they’re flitting along at a galloping rhythm (“Black Dress”) or gliding creepily underneath (“Ourselves”).

The record documents a satisfying progression in O’Death’s sound, as they populate these bleak, mostly minor-key dirges with their own singular eccentric energy. Make no mistake, it’s very much mood-specific music. The chilling chorus of ghostly “ah-ah”s of “Look at the Sun” or Jamie’s cryptic lyrics about “blood flowing through the iron cave” on “Howling Through” aren’t a suitable background for family barbecues. But for a chilly, moonlit night around a campfire? That’s the perfect setting for O’Death’s unique brand of menace.

RIYLMurder by Death’s Good Morning Magpie; The Snake the Cross the Crown’s Cotton Teeth; Sea Wolf’s White Water, White Bloom

Track Listing1. Bugs (2:12)
2. Ghost Head (3:34)
3. Alamar (3:52)
4. Black Dress (3:37)
5. Ourselves (3:54)
6. Look at the Sun (3:43)
7. Howling Through (3:11)
8. Don’t Come Back (2:06)
9. Pushing Out (3:19)
10. Back of the Garden (3:11)
11. The Lake Departed (4:53)

Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:51 PM on 04/22/11
bananabread
User Info.
well suck me sideways i didn't know they were releasing a new album! i'm gonna hafta go pick that up in a jiffy!
06:33 AM on 04/23/11
joshy hizzle
Rocky Top
User Info.
well suck me sideways i didn't know they were releasing a new album! i'm gonna hafta go pick that up in a jiffy!
Dumb and Dumber reference in a review that mentions Nick Cave, who lends a song to that soundtrack. It's a sign! Also, this album is pretty cool from what I've heard.
11:33 AM on 04/25/11
intheclouds
dreams to sleep
User Info.
great album, slightly different from their last album but i enjoy
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music