AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Memphis May Fire - The Hollow Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8
Production 6.75
Creativity 6.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.97
Musicianship 7.94
Lyrics 7.87
Production 7.69
Creativity 7.04
Lasting Value 7.68
Reviewer Tilt 8.06
Average: 78%
Inside AP.net

Memphis May Fire - The Hollow

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (04/24/11)
Memphis May FireThe Hollow
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: April 26, 2011

Although they had one previous self-titled EP, Memphis May Fire was officially introduced as a band armed with a fast-paced, rollicking Southern drawl with their 2009 debut record, Sleepwalking. Mixing drop tuned guitars and screams with Southern twanged vocals, Memphis May Fire definitely brought something new to the table with their debut record. However, their sophomore follow-up record, The Hollow, redefines this image of the band – and rather destroys it entirely. Gone is the Southern accent from Matt Mullins’ vocals, gone is the twang of the guitars, gone is the unique nature of the band. Some may welcome this change, while other fans will be completely put off, perhaps dismissing the band entirely. I fall into the former category, respectfully.

Sure, this record brings nothing new to the table, there’s no reason evading that point. The band is the exact product of a Rise Records band in every aspect of their sound and image. With the change in sound came a loss of young creativity, perhaps accidentally. Thus, the result of this change is a lack of any innovation whatsoever, yet at least Memphis May Fire fit the bill for this sound in an ideal way, both musically and vocally.

As gathered from the opening punches of “The Sinner,” Memphis May Fire have become one of the heaviest bands on Rise, as Mullins ferocious screams dominate track after track. The change in clean vocals is evident from the get go as well, with the clean pieces now resembling more of Of Mice & Men’s style than the previous Southern rock of Sleepwalking. The style works best on heavy hitters such as “The Victim,” as heavy and light battle it out of shredding guitars. The lyrics of “your excuses mean nothing when nothing means more than keeping your word” on the track are sure to be fan favorites. At times, however, it is clear that the production needs work, for Mullins’ screams often sound muffled and unclear, a slight hindrance to the record, at that.

The Hollow proves the tightening musicianship of Memphis May Fire, with each member working together to create track after track of destroying chaos. “The Deceived” is a breakdown class, followed by what may be the hardest hit on the record, “The Commanded,” a track of pure fury as Mullins shrieks “the bodies still hunt my dreams!” Encompassing every aspect of the record into one final blow, “The Redeemed” is a crash course of The Hollow, equipped with backbreaking drumming, deafening screams, and drop tuned guitars.

As the record fades out, fans will either be impressed or rather unimpressed, there’s hardly an in between this time around, due to the unexpected change of sound. Each track also lacks any sense of individuality, as each of the ten tracks bleeds together into the others. This lack of alteration definitely takes its toll on the listener, though some tracks do stand out more than others (“The Victim”). Still, if you’re looking for a solid heavy record to give a spin, give The Hollow a chance.

Recommended If You LikeMiss May I; Of Mice & Men; Rise Records; Woe, Is Me; The Color Morale

Listen ToThe Victim

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. The Sinner
2. The Unfaithful
3. The Victim
4. The Abandoned
5. The Deceived
6. The Commanded
7. The Burden (Interlude)
8. The Haunted
9. The Reality
10. The Redeemed

Memphis May Fire are:
Matt Mullins – Vocals
Kellen McGregor – Guitar
Ryan Bentley – Guitar
Cory Elder – Bass
Jake Garland – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 106
08:20 PM on 04/24/11
Hidden In NJ
Cilvia Demo
User Info.
I just don't know what to say... I'll give this one a listen. I just wish my expectations weren't so low...

Again good review Ryan.
08:40 PM on 04/24/11
jaredohgren
I'm just an artist on a shelf.
User Info.
I didn't know Ryan did cleans?
I thought Matt did all vocals.

Is it different this time around?
09:10 PM on 04/24/11
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
good review ryan. but why is production so low ? vocals sounded clear to me. vocals and lyrics seem to be a bit too low as well.
should be around 75% or a bit higher imo.
05:01 AM on 04/25/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I didn't know Ryan did cleans?
I thought Matt did all vocals.

Is it different this time around?
I originally thought that as well, but this what their publicity page said.

Edit: page was wrong, Mullins does all vox
05:21 AM on 04/25/11
Ilija Necovski
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good review, honestly i enjoyed the ablum but it was nothing like Sleepwalking.
05:31 AM on 04/25/11
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
Terrible album.
05:32 AM on 04/25/11
Ilija Necovski
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
kkk
05:40 AM on 04/25/11
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
I need to compare, best song off old record?
05:40 AM on 04/25/11
jedediahdaniel
Tongue punching pussy since 1977
User Info.
Sounds like with this album Memphis Miss Fired.
05:44 AM on 04/25/11
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
These guys suck now. They delete messages on their Facebook page if you write anything critical, even in a polite way, and have become just another generic Rise band. I'll stick to Sleepwalking and the EP.
06:19 AM on 04/25/11
TuskandTemper
User Info.
not a fan of this review, it's boring and short. thanks for recounting some lyrics for me Ryan, i couldn't have listened to them myself... I'll also pick out my own favorites thank you very much.

the one interesting thing in your review im looking forward to hoping you're wrong about... is in the intro paragraph. "The Hollow, redefines this image of the band – and rather destroys it entirely. Gone is the Southern accent from Matt Mullins’ vocals, gone is the twang of the guitars, gone is the unique nature of the band." I really hope you're wrong about this.

Oh and I'd also like to point out that "Sleepwalking" did NOT introduce MMF to the world, only Matt Mullins. The MMF EP is probably one of my favorite EP's in the genre to date, give credit where credit is due.

I don't know..this band has LOADS of talent, I really hope the stench of this review doesn't ring true when I give it a listen tomorrow. Additionally, I hope they don't fall off like other bands with their sophomore full length.
06:54 AM on 04/25/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
They're good for a Rise band, but this is not a step down for them as a band. Hopefully the next record is better.
06:59 AM on 04/25/11
ebushelm
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Everyone in here needs to listen to the original EP from 2007. It is seriously amazing! Why they strayed away from this I will never understand...
07:39 AM on 04/25/11
dtomczak
always hungry.
User Info.
eh, still sounds better than half the stuff on rise. this band never really caught my attention. a friend burned me their ep a while back, and i thought it was decent, didn't make me want to pick up sleepwalking though. perhaps i'll reconsider.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums