AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business - Gold Rush Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 9
Production 9.5
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.94
Musicianship 9.92
Lyrics 9.67
Production 9.83
Creativity 9.9
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.92
Average: 98%

I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business - Gold Rush

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (05/01/11)
I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s BusinessGold Rush
Record Label: None
Release Date: May 5, 2011

A new side of Ace Enders, I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business was a reintroduction to the front man of The Early November back in 2004. His debut performance with this project was a record full of dark acoustic melodies and intricate vocal pieces. However, whereas that self-titled record was not entirely structured evenly, the 2010 follow-up, the beautiful The World We Know, embodied every facet of the aforementioned record, only with a fine-tuned, more intellectual, and ultimately darker sound, as Enders expanded his ever-growing potential to maximum boundaries.

Now just a year later, Gold Rush showcases a different side to I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody’s Business. Evident immediately throughout the opening title track, this is a record more fit for spring than the chilling The World We Know. The tracks this time around are much more upbeat and poppy at times, clearly a deviation from the majority of Enders’ recent material. That is not to say, however, that this change is unwelcome or unfitting in any way, as the record fits the spring weather perfectly.

As sincere and honest as ever, Enders opens the record with the words “If I was a salesman I’d write for the stars / but I’d rather give nothing and give it from the heart.” A vocal highlight as well, “Gold Rush” proves to be the perfect beginning for this record. The complete antithesis of The World We Know’s second track, “Lame Duck” fires off with an acoustic guitar that practically forces the listener to tap along throughout this poppy track of optimism.

Another track of restoration, “Connected” follows “Lame Duck” in ideal fashion, while “Complications” showcases the skillful guitar play of I Can Make A Mess on what is arguably the most diverse, uplifting track on Gold Rush. The scenic “Had To Be There” is based around the summery guitar and drum pattern, containing an almost Never Shout Never vibe to it.

Enders also experiments with different vocal styles at times on the record, most notably on the pleading “Don’t Leave Me” and poignant “Misery.” On the former, the usage of repetition adds depth to the track, creating a sound unique from previous I Can Make A Mess tracks. On the latter, Enders croons, “It’s a quarter after midnight / and I’ve been driving through a desert for some time / and all I want is you lying next to me” on this romantic vocal pinnacle of the record.

Clearly, Enders is as earnest and sincere as ever on Gold Rush. On the title track he sings, “It’s tough being copper when all your friends are gold,” on what could be the most direct, straightforward track on the record. The words “it’s a hard flight to the other side / you will fall down but you have to try / reach with your hands / grab it again” on “Train Stop” are picturesque, bleeding with a new sign of hope. A light in the darkness, Gold Rush may not be as truly stunning as The World We Know, but that’s only because it isn’t meant for that. This record is a call to arms, a new beginning, a new hope; it’s a beautifully written and performed message to the world – a message that there is hope.

Recommended If You LikeAce Enders; The World We Know; The Early November

Listen ToGold Rush; Misery; Train Stop

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Gold Rush
2. Lame Duck
3. Connected
4. Complications
5. Had to Be There
6. Don’t Leave Me
7. Misery
8. Gods
9. Train Stop

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 73
02:49 PM on 05/01/11
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
My most anticipated release. It's sad to see the lyrics are the lowest score, and I'm curious why since I didn't notice the reason in your review.
02:52 PM on 05/01/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
My most anticipated release. It's sad to see the lyrics are the lowest score, and I'm curious why since I didn't notice the reason in your review.
I'm very hesitant when reviewing lyrics, as I don't normally have a good scale in my head for lyrics. Therefore, I in no way meant for them to be the lowest of the ratings, as I can't compliement Ace enough for his lyrical growth throughout his past releases. The lyrics on this record are beautiful; only for me, they didn't hit me as hard as on The World We Know, so maybe that's why. The rating was subconscious, not intentional.
03:18 PM on 05/01/11
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
I'm very hesitant when reviewing lyrics, as I don't normally have a good scale in my head for lyrics. Therefore, I in no way meant for them to be the lowest of the ratings, as I can't compliement Ace enough for his lyrical growth throughout his past releases. The lyrics on this record are beautiful; only for me, they didn't hit me as hard as on The World We Know, so maybe that's why. The rating was subconscious, not intentional.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Some people are really invested in the scores while others aren't and since the lyrics have always been my favorite part of Ace Ender's work I would have been sad if you had done it on purpose haha.

I feel ya though. The World We Know was such an emotional album and it would be hard to compare the lyrical content to something poppier and happy (Which is what I got from your review and the clips...Also I never knew poppier wasn't a word)
03:39 PM on 05/01/11
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
That's exactly what I wanted to know. Some people are really invested in the scores while others aren't and since the lyrics have always been my favorite part of Ace Ender's work I would have been sad if you had done it on purpose haha.

I feel ya though. The World We Know was such an emotional album and it would be hard to compare the lyrical content to something poppier and happy (Which is what I got from your review and the clips...Also I never knew poppier wasn't a word)
YA HERD? With Perd! So funny.

Anyways, I need to listen to this and The World We Know. Didn't get into that release, but I feel like I should.
03:39 PM on 05/01/11
jordalsh
twitter.com/Jordalsh
User Info.
I. am. so. excited!!!!!!
03:49 PM on 05/01/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.

It's not an official word - I believe it's slang haha.

But for me, The World We Know is far and beyond my favorite record Ace has ever written - with any of his projects. The record means so much to me.

To me, this record is just a very different record all together; it's still a fantastic record, just incredibly different from TWWK.
06:28 PM on 05/01/11
Blakebear
User Info.
Loved The World We Know.

Cannot wait to listen to this album.
07:18 PM on 05/01/11
MyJukeboxBroke
I need a Couch
User Info.
Loved The World We Know.

Cannot wait to listen to this album.
this this this. cant wait. i really hope this isnt his last :(
07:36 PM on 05/01/11
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. Great record too. Can't wait to see Ace on tour in a few weeks.
04:48 AM on 05/02/11
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
Fantastic review. Well played, Mr. Enders.

I'll be at the May 21st date at Rocko's.
04:57 AM on 05/02/11
trevorshmevor
User Info.
I respect the NSN reference. I am not a fan of NSN, but I feel like no one on this site would ever dare compare Ace to NSN, and I appreciate the honesty. That being said, I'm very excited to hear this record. The World We Know was one of my favorite records of last year, the S/T being one of my favorite ever.
05:40 AM on 05/02/11
InfiniteArms
Foreign everywhere I've been
User Info.
This Album. Do Want. Waiting for this and Manchester Orchestra and made me crazy
06:15 AM on 05/02/11
brent_ster
My Dinosaur Life
User Info.
Great Review, super excited to hear it now.

I also think this is a typo
The World We Know’s second track, “Lame Duck”
06:15 AM on 05/02/11
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
HOLY SHIT.

x
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News