AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Keeping, The - Morning Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Keeping, The - Morning

Reviewed by: Samanthaesg (05/01/11)
The Keeping - Morning
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: July 13th, 2010

According to a Myspace study done 2 years ago, there are 8,000,000 bands in the world. Of course, there are probably more than that, but either way that is quite the number. In that census, I think it is safe to say that maybe half the bands are worthwhile. Then you have the bands that you wish you could un-hear. Fortunately, The Keeping was not one of them.

When I heard the first song off of the album Morning by The Keeping, I instantly liked it. It was poppy and relatable, but not over done. There wasn’t the We the Kings/(recent) Boys Like Girls effect where every song sounded just about the same, nor was there the appeal to pre-teen girls and/or scene-sters. But nonetheless they caught my ear for their pop-based sound.

Each song also featured a savvy guitar lead - not in an overbearing way, yet still perfectly noticeable, complete with well done effects. In some songs the vocalist reminded me of acoustic Shoreline’s End: effortlessly emotional. When he was sad, his voice pulled on those heart strings. When he was angry - you felt that teeth-gritting frustration right along with him. One song that stands out in my mind for exhibiting the grainy vocals of angry lyrics is in the bridge of “Hold On.” Another thing musically that caught my attention was that even though the timing never got too technical, they didn’t just stick with boring, beginner-esque drums. There was also good piano usage - and not the computer created fake keyboard sounding ones, but the good acoustic sound that made the songs have a pretty undertone.

How was it relatable? The lyrics were all about something everyone has gone through at least once by this point in their lives: heart break. Starting with "Terminal" (thinking you’ll never make it out alive), moving on to "Hold On" (giving up), then "Snake Eyes" (everything is bad luck and losing games), "Six Months of Hell" (the worst time in your life), "Composure" (finally able to act civil in public again), and "Daybreak" (things begin to look up). Each song went in order through the stages of a break up, and through these songs you revisited, along with the band, each of those phases yourself. In fact, the name of the album restores hope that no matter what happens throughout the ended relationship, there is always evening and morning - a new start.

Recommended If You LikeAcoustic Shoreline's end, Copeland, Every Avenue

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News