AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Everymen, The - 04.18.11

Interviewed by: Linda Ferreira (05/05/11)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

The Everymen

www.theeverymen.bandcamp.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Originally, we were Sarin McHugh and The Everymen, but that confused the hell out of people so we just dropped it to The Everymen. What is it? It's who we are. We're not terribly cool. We're not ridiculously handsome. We don't have much style or hip hairdos. We're Everymen. We're regular guys in regular clothes who love playing loud rock and roll music.

2. How did this band get started?
It started as a basement recording thing. I was bored during an extended break from work, visiting my parents on the Jersey Shore. Due to a snowstorm, I became stuck at home for a few days so I holed up in the basement and recorded a bunch of songs which became our first EP "Rotocoma Pollution!" So having those songs, I clearly wanted to play them live. For the first year it was just me and our drummer Steve, whom I recruited through several common friends in Jersey City. We played a bunch, did a summer tour and sold a few records. Now though, we've expanded to a five-piece included a bass, saxophone and my homegirl Catherine singing backing vocals and whacking the shit outta that tambourine.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Oh shit. Where to begin? This passage will ramble for an eternity so I'll limit myself to ten. Bruce Springsteen, Dinosaur Jr, Archers Of Loaf, Otis Redding, Drive Like Jehu, Guided By Voices, Thin Lizzy, The Misfits, Eric's Trip and The Reigning Sound.
Otherwise, our influences are simple. Peace, love and rock and roll.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Jay Reatard, Guided By Voices and The Minutemen, though I don't think I could make it through to the end of that party. But mostly because those dudes just love(d) playing music. There never seemed to be ulterior motives. They were just bands of friends who loved plying their trade.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Subway. Eat Fresh.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we mean it.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Roger Maris. He was an Everyman.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
D Boon, Bruce Springsteen, my parents, Thurston Moore and Vince Lombardi. But we'd never win a Grammy. We're not good-looking enough.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
With the proliferation of technology, bands are becoming more and more these little individual islands. The scenes that existed in the 80s and 90s are gone with the wind and that breaks my heart. With Facebook, Myspace, Bandcamp and scads of these other networking sites, there's no need to make true friends any more. I remember being a kid coming up in bands and such and cold calling kids around the northeast who I knew could help us get a show out of town. Years later I'm still great friends with so many of these people, even though we haven't seen each other (or more unfortunately, played a show together) in ten years. I feel like young bands don't have that sense of community anymore.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Just being on tour with Jay Reatard. That was two of the most insane weeks of my life. Also, the first time we played in Chicago. It was great. We played at some art space on the south side called Mortville. I guess the bill was great because the show was packed. I attributed it to the fact that we had good locals on the bill. But then tons of kids immediately started slam dancing two notes into our set, signing along, going bonkers. I was totally floored that these kids were there to see little old us.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
It means a network of people who crave music without the bullshit. Just good music. And it makes me happy that people still want that.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Right now a new song called "Boss Johnny And The Get Lucky." It's our closer. It's a stone cold jam. We haven't recorded it yet, but that's-a coming soon.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Vacation? I take my vacation time and go on tour... so I'd say Chicago, Atlanta, Nashville, Chapel Hill, Los Angeles.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Everything. We were exposed to everything growing up. From James Brown to Willie Nelson to Sonic Youth to The Ramones to Metallica to Donna Summer. But mostly early-era indie rock. That was when I started consuming my own music rather than raiding my parents' hi fi. Dinosaur Jr, The Pixies, The Minutemen, Husker Du. Shit like that.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I wish I could play guitar like Jimi Hendrix and drums like John Bonham. They were superheroes.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
I piss like 10 times.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That after nearly fifteen years of playing music, playing thousands of shows all over the US in hundreds of different bands, I still have near-paralyzing stage fright. I hate it but I've come to accept that it's a thing I'll never overcome.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

Radio is like vinyl. It will never die! Hell yea we can flourish there. At least, I hope we can.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
See bands. Start new bands, even if we'll never play a show. Play basketball. Make the kick ass sandwiches.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I can get down on one knee and throw a football fifty yards. Don't ask how I figured that talent out.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums