Username
Password
Canada News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Canada
Inside AP.net

Canadian Music Round-Up (05/08/11)

Posted by: Deborah Remus (05/08/11)
Head to the replies to read this week's Canadian Music Round-Up.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
08:16 AM on 05/08/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Canadian Music Round-UpIn case you missed them during the week, here are the posts made about Canadian content:

Braids
Tour Dates

City and Colour
Pre-Order Info

Fucked Up
Post Another Song

Living With Lions Premiere New Song on AbsolutePunk.net

Simple Plan Pre-Order / Music Video / Cover Art / Guest Stars on New Record

Sparrows
Post New Track

------------------------------------------------------
Additional News:

The election results if you missed them somehow.

Counterparts
signed to Victory Records.

--------------------------------------------------------
Additional Music and Videos:

Download a new Elliott Brood song titled "Northern Air" here.

Rah Rah's music video for "Parkade" can be seen here.

The Rural Alberta Advantage's music video for "Under the Knife" can be seen here.

Dancing With Paris posted a teaser video here.

--------------------------------------------------------
Additional Tour Dates:

Front Line Assembly is heading out on tour soon:

May 15 Winnipeg - Pyramid Cabaret
May 17 Ottawa - Zaphod Beeblebrox
May 19 Montreal - Kinetik Festival
May 20 Springfield, VA - JAXX
May 21 NYC - Highline Ballroom
May 22 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
May 23 Toronto - Mod Club
May 25 Pittsburgh, PA - Diesel
May 26 Cleveland - Peabody's
May 27 Chicago - The Abbey
May 28 Milwaukee - Miramar Theater
May 29 Minneapolis - Ground Zero
May 30 Detroit - Shelter
June 01 New Orleans - Howlin' Wolf
June 02 Dallas - Trees
June 03 Austin - Elysium
June 04 Houston - Numbers
June 06 Denver, CO - Summit Music Hall
June 07 Mesa, AZ - Nile Theater
June 08 San Diego - Brick By Brick
June 09 Santa Ana - Galaxy Theatre
June 10 L.A. - El Rey Theater
June 11 S.F. - Red Devil
June 12 Seattle - El Corazon
June 13 Vancouver - Rickshaw Theater

------------------------------------------------------------
If you’d like to submit Canadian news to AbsolutePunk.net, email me at deborah.remus@absolutepunk.net or send me a PM with “Canadian Round-Up” in the subject line. I don't check the news queue regularly and lots of stuff gets deleted before I have a look.
08:38 AM on 05/08/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Why would Counterparts do that?
08:54 AM on 05/08/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
That's what I wonder. These guys have toured with Comeback Kid, I think one of them sang on the new Silverstein record, you'd think they'd know better. There's got to be something going on, I'm guessing it's desperation, but I have no idea.
10:05 AM on 05/08/11
jess' man
User Info.
I would like to hear an update from secret and whisper!!!
04:15 PM on 05/08/11
boscorelli
destination: beautiful
User Info.
counterparts must be desperate to sign with victory. too bad.
06:15 PM on 05/08/11
LexXchaos
making the perfect mess of my life
User Info.
I really love Counterparts, but I'm dissapointed that they went with Victory. They should have waited for another offer... It's too bad that they'll be stuck with Victory for who knows how long.
11:59 PM on 05/08/11
Michellee
User Info.
The Sound of Music Festival schedule was released and there are a lot of great bands playing - Tokyo Police Club, Bedouin Soundclash, The Reason, Hollerado and Harlan Pepper just to name a few, and the best part is it's free.
03:44 AM on 05/09/11
RockTheWalls
Rock The Walls: http://idobi.com
User Info.
Why would Counterparts do that?

That's what I wonder. These guys have toured with Comeback Kid, I think one of them sang on the new Silverstein record, you'd think they'd know better. There's got to be something going on, I'm guessing it's desperation, but I have no idea.

counterparts must be desperate to sign with victory. too bad.

It makes perfect sense to me. Counterparts is an absolute touring horse. Always working hard, always on the road. I am sure they talked to many of their friends who have been on Victory before making this decision. Looking at it, Victory Records will promote their record a fair bit through VicTorV, the albums intial release and get some american kids who have never heard of the band. After that, regardless of what Victory does, the band wiWhen you look at the roster of Victory, they don't have any other band like Counterparts right now. Any other label that would have signed them (Mediaskare, Century Media) they would have just been lumped in with the rest of the roster. I'm stoked for these dudes, this is going to be huge for them.
10:42 AM on 05/09/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
It makes perfect sense to me. Counterparts is an absolute touring horse. Always working hard, always on the road. I am sure they talked to many of their friends who have been on Victory before making this decision. Looking at it, Victory Records will promote their record a fair bit through VicTorV, the albums intial release and get some american kids who have never heard of the band. After that, regardless of what Victory does, the band wiWhen you look at the roster of Victory, they don't have any other band like Counterparts right now. Any other label that would have signed them (Mediaskare, Century Media) they would have just been lumped in with the rest of the roster. I'm stoked for these dudes, this is going to be huge for them.

I'm not saying this won't do Counterparts any good at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that bands like Silverstein wouldn't have the following they have in the States if it weren't for Victory. Victory Records has a lot of money and resources for an independent label and that buys lots of results. I'm talking more about other issues like verbal abuse and losing their royalties. This label does not have a good reputation. You don't have to believe all the Internet rumours and the Hawthorne Heights lawsuit. You can just look at their roster and see how nearly every band leaves the second their contract is up. Even their PR people, they have a revolving door unlike any other label I've worked with.
02:12 PM on 05/09/11
RockTheWalls
Rock The Walls: http://idobi.com
User Info.
I'm not saying this won't do Counterparts any good at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure that bands like Silverstein wouldn't have the following they have in the States if it weren't for Victory. Victory Records has a lot of money and resources for an independent label and that buys lots of results. I'm talking more about other issues like verbal abuse and losing their royalties. This label does not have a good reputation. You don't have to believe all the Internet rumours and the Hawthorne Heights lawsuit. You can just look at their roster and see how nearly every band leaves the second their contract is up. Even their PR people, they have a revolving door unlike any other label I've worked with.

I think Counterparts made the signing purely on not giving a fuck about the whole royalties thing and just wanted to tour tour tour. When it comes to Victory PR people despite a few people coming and going, they have been awesome to deal with since i've been doing this kinda stuff.
03:34 PM on 05/09/11
andrewa5
www.facebook.com/oftemples
User Info.
I was thinking the same thing! they would do better on a label that treats their bands better, especially hardcore bands.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests