AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Letterset - 05.02.11

Interviewed by
Letterset - 05.02.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Letterset

www.lettersetband.com
myspace.com/letterset
facebook.com/letterset
twitter.com/lettersetgo

1. How did you get your band name?
"Letterset" was the name from day one. It really means to have the mindset that each song is a letter to someone.

2. How did this band get started?

Cameron & John began playing acoustically each week after school during our high school days. They would just jam whenever given the opportunity. Cam had a local band that he wasn't very happy with and John was looking to start one. Months later, they decided to transform the project into a full band, adding myself (Josiah) and then bassist Ryan Bryzski. We recorded our first ever demo just one day after practicing for the first time. We performed publicly for the first time in October of 2006.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Cam originally was majorly influenced by Fall Out Boy but has since broadened his range. We all love fast pop-punk and post hardcore music, ranging from Four Year Strong to A Day To Remember.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?

Fall Out Boy and Blink 182 would be ideal. Those bands paved the way for punk bands to be successful and brought pop punk to the mainstream. We played a brief stint on All Time Low & Hey Monday's tour in 2009, that was incredibly exciting.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

Almost always, tacos. In Buffalo, we always eat at a place named "Elmwood Taco & Subs," it is the best restaurant ever and I would encourage every band to stop there to really get a taste of Buffalo food.

6. Why should people listen to your band?

I would like to believe that we are fun to listen to due to our high energy. Hopefully you will find our music catchy and at the very least feel happy after listening. I'm fortunate to perform with 3 talented musicians that showcase their abilities every time we perform live and are in studio.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?

Alexander Ovechkin of the NHL's Washington Capitals. I would love to be the best hockey player in the world. Hockey is my second passion behind music.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to work with many great people, my family for being so supportive, our label, and my bandmates.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?

I think that often times the music industry becomes too competitive in a negative way. One band's success does not mean another band's hindrance.

10. Memorable tour experience?

Before playing our show in Grand River, Ohio (right outside of Cleveland), we decided to walk around town, not too far from the venue. It was an absolute ghost town. In the back of the venue, we found a bunch of random bricks and a bowling ball and decided to invent "Ohio Bowling." It was quite the interesting match.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?

AP.net is a great way to keep up with what's hot in music, not just on a national level but on a more local level. The amount of info ranging from reviews to forums is fantastic.

12. What is your favorite song to play?

As a band, we really like playing most of our unreleased material (EP/LP coming soon). "To Join The Ranks of Emma Frost" is definite favorite not just because it's fun to play, but the crowd always sings along to that one particularly.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

Florida is always a great place to visit! Especially with our frigid Buffalo falls/winters/springs.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?

Personally, Sum 41 always takes me back to being a young drummer. Green Day as well. Those bands were two of my largest influences in middle school and early high school.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

It would have to be flight. Who doesn't want to fly?!

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Nothing really over the edge. I always stretch and set up my drums a very particular way. I'm very obsessive about the way my kits sound live, so being meticulous during soundchecks is probably as far as I go with regards to rituals.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

I was homeschooled from kindergarten to eighth grade.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?

It is so hard for a band to crack the airwaves but once they do, there is no stopping them. It is definitely a place that Letterset would flourish because I feel we have a sound that appeals to a wide audience.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

When I'm not drumming, it is most definitely video games. XBOX, Playstation, you name it.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Well I wouldn't say it's a talent, but I would say I'm an above average roller/ice hockey player. Again, I love hockey very much and I've been playing almost as long as I've been drumming.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
12:35 PM on 05/09/11
shimmyshakes
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ETS, baby!
08:33 PM on 05/09/11
ijway
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
very cool read, letterset is a great band.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos