Password

Album Review
Man Overboard - The Human Highlight Reel Album Cover

Man Overboard - The Human Highlight Reel

Reviewed by
Man OverboardThe Human Highlight Reel
Record Label: Run For Cover Records
Release Date: May 6/10, 2011
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
While we wait for Man Overboard’s official sophomore record, The Human Highlight Reel is really just a collectors item for fans, as it includes two new songs, remastered versions of Dahlia EP and Noise From Upstairs, a cover song, and Real Talk b-sides. In a way, this accumulation conveys the growth of Man Overboard, for although they have clearly maintained their infectious pop-punk style, it’s clear they’ve learned a few things along the way.

The new tracks, “Driveway” and “Melanie, Video Games, and a Slight Fear of Flying,” seem to pick up right where Real Talk left off last summer. The former may be one of the most addictive songs Man Overboard have written, as the final minute will be stuck in your head all summer. The latter is a fast-paced ride, with amusing lyrics alike to those in “The Absolute Worst.” The tracks scream summer, making their upcoming record even more anticipated.

“I Saw Behemoth and it Ruled” seems to be everywhere lately, still maintaining its stature with each listen. The Dahlia cuts, “They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To” and “Five Girls Pizza,” remind us of why we fell in love with Man Overboard in the beginning, with the remastered versions making the songs sound better than ever. Similarly, the addictive “I Ate My Gluestick” fits well here, with an addictive chorus exemplified by Zac Eisenstein’s feverous vocal performance. The Noise From Upstairs tracks are as emotional and intimate as ever, with the final minute of “Dear You” still being one of most standout selections of any Man Overboard song, conveying the skill of the band in a different setting.

The rare original acoustic demo of “Real Talk,” titled “Different People” here is a total one-eighty from the electric version, almost sounding like an entirely different song all together. The soft plucks and meek vocals undulate throughout the track, adding a new wave of intricateness previously unheard from Man Overboard. On the other hand, the upbeat Promise Ring cover, “Red Paint,” is done very well. Sure, the track sounds very different from the timeless original, but Man Overboard’s own take on it works very well on The Human Highlight Reel, a sure to be fan favorite at shows.

All in all, although there’s only two new tracks here, The Human Highlight Reel is sure to please fans both old and new, as it allows new fans to be introduced with early Man Overboard and old fans to experience their favorite tracks in better quality. One thing is certain, this collection has us more than excited for Man Overboard’s highly anticipated follow-up to 2010’s Real Talk – summer here we come.

Recommended If You Likeearly Man Overboard EPs, demos, and other rarities

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Driveway
2. Melanie, Video Games, and a Slight Fear of Flying
3. I Saw Behemoth and it Ruled (Electric)
4. They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To
5. Five Girls Pizza
6. I Ate My Gluestick
7. Love Your Friends Die Laughing (Electric)
8. Again
9. Red Paint (Promise Ring Cover)
10. Crybaby
11. 2108
12. Dylan's Song
13. I Saw Behemoth and it Ruled
14. Dear You
15. Different People
16. Decemberism

Man Overboard are:
Zac Eisenstein – Vocals, Guitar
Nik Bruzzese – Vocals, Bass
Justin Collier – Guitar
Wayne Wildrick – Guitar (on all but three tracks)
Mike Hrycenko – Drums

Bandcamp

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 35
06:06 PM on 05/08/11
Musformation.co
Jesse Cannon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Awesome review! It should be noted that Wayne Wildrick played on all but 3 of those tracks and is back in the band.
06:18 PM on 05/08/11
LivingTheLyrics
What you feel will rarely rhyme.
User Info.
There's not a single band in the world I have more fun listening to. Explaining to people how it's possible for The Gaslight Anthem to be my favorite band and for Man Overboard to be my second is always difficult, but there's something about this band I can't get enough of. All four new tracks are incredible on this, will be on repeat all summer. I can't wait to have Noise From Upstairs on vinyl when this ships.
06:19 PM on 05/08/11
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
FUCKING LOVED THIS ALBUM!!!!!!!!!!!! so good, loved the re-recordings as well
06:26 PM on 05/08/11
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Awesome review! It should be noted that Wayne Wildrick played on all but 3 of those tracks and is back in the band.
Yeah I meant to include that. Thanks
07:08 PM on 05/08/11
nonohjohn
jmh // hth
User Info.
cool review, but no mention of the electric "love your friends"? i thought that track was pretty enjoyable.

anyone else notice that they took out the lead riff in the pre-chorus to "five girls"? wonder why they decided to do that.
07:31 PM on 05/08/11
Musformation.co
Jesse Cannon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
cool review, but no mention of the electric "love your friends"? i thought that track was pretty enjoyable.

anyone else notice that they took out the lead riff in the pre-chorus to "five girls"? wonder why they decided to do that.

As the person who mixed and mastered the record I can say thats not the case. Its the exact same recording as on Dahlia. I mastered it off my original mix of 5 Girls. Same exact recording just better mastering.
07:40 PM on 05/08/11
nonohjohn
jmh // hth
User Info.
As the person who mixed and mastered the record I can say thats not the case. Its the exact same recording as on Dahlia. I mastered it off my original mix of 5 Girls. Same exact recording just better mastering.
yeah i know it's the same recording remastered. but when i listen at :45 on the original dahlia release of the song, during "there's a few..." there is a high pitched guitar lead, and on the human highlight version it just isn't there.
08:02 PM on 05/08/11
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
The electric version of "Love Your Friends" is soooo good. I love that they covered The Promise Ring.
04:56 AM on 05/09/11
Kiguel182
life is a test and I get bad marks
User Info.
Driveway is such a catchy song, can't stop listening. great record
05:07 AM on 05/09/11
OdourlessHobo
woop woop woop
User Info.
I second what the guy above me said. Driveway has to be on of the BEST man overboard songs I've heard. Do yourself a favor and give it a listen if you haven't heard it, best of luck getting it out of your head.
05:34 AM on 05/09/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Excited to get this in mail. I have a feeling it will be one of the many records that will get a lot of spins this summer
05:51 AM on 05/09/11
Demilition
demicambridge.com
User Info.
this is so good, listened all day today. Love Your Friends, Die Laughing is just as good I am so torn between the two. Great album
05:57 AM on 05/09/11
applesandcyanid
Trollin' Absolutepunk.
User Info.
Both new songs are 2 of the best tracks that I have heard by them. Electric "Love Your Friends Die Laughing" makes me want to mosh slowly while crying.
06:15 AM on 05/09/11
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Too high of a score for this album, in my opinion, but that's just me. Hard to rate a collection album like this but it was easily forgettable.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos