AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Cassino - Sounds of Salvation Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 10
Production 9
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 94%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 10
Production 9.21
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.96
Reviewer Tilt 9.67
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

Cassino - Sounds of Salvation

Reviewed by: EI Dooch (04/10/07)
Cassino - Sounds of Salvation
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: March 29, 2007

Since their inception, fans of Tyler Odom and Nick Torres have waited patiently for Sounds of Salvation, the ambitious and honest debut from these two defunct members of everyone’s old favorite band, Northstar. At Northstar’s final show, Nick said something like, “We’re going to play our songs acoustic because that’s how we wrote them and that’s how they were meant to be.” I think I finally understand what he meant.

Nick’s gift for lyrics isn’t a secret and neither is his distinctive voice. In my opinion, his voice sounds much better over the softer, more resolute arrangements found on Sounds of Salvation, than it did over the loud, fierce distorted guitars of any Northstar CD. The fact is, no matter how much hype Cassino has gotten from its small cult following, you really have to listen to understand. This album is like if Straylight Run took its vengeful hindsight anthems and turned them into gorgeous, acoustic declarations of peace. Each song offers a fresh start, and the original lyrics keep this album interesting with every listen. I think we finally get it.

Standout tracks for me are “Governor,” the opening track and arguably the most beautiful, “New Jerusalem,” a rerecording of the demo equipped with hors, drums, and a sing-along chorus, and “Ice Factory,” a charming piano-based ending that leaves a smile on the listeners face. However, when I say standout track, what I mean is the standout track this week. Every song on this CD has something to offer, a story to tell. My only complaint would be the instrumental track “Dust Went Flying,” mainly because after a first listen, there’s really no need to listen again. The other demos turned out great, with a new introduction to “Platano,” and added production to “The Gin War” and “American Low.”

If you’re wondering if this CD is worth the seventeen dollars to buy it on their website, I would say it absolutely is. If you are looking for a quiet, moving, stunning marriage between instrumentation and melody, this is it. All hype aside, this CD will stand out this year. If we don’t appreciate the talent clearly on display on Sounds of Salvation, then we don’t deserve music like this.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9.
05:15 PM on 04/10/07
evanchapman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the only thing I'd disagree with is dust went flying, its one of my favorite songs on the cd I think, it fits in so well
05:37 PM on 04/10/07
I was Brad
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
amazing
06:33 PM on 04/10/07
RX XR
User Info.
agreed completely
08:16 PM on 04/14/07
LinzN*
Built like a bridge
User Info.
the only thing I'd disagree with is dust went flying, its one of my favorite songs on the cd I think, it fits in so well
same here.

i'm so glad i chose to be in this cult.
10:44 AM on 04/15/07
pshh
stop trying so hard
User Info.
god i want this cd so bad
12:01 AM on 04/17/07
HAILtotheTHIEF
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
definitely can't stop listening to this album...such a breath of fresh air
04:27 PM on 04/17/07
666brandi
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this album is beyond amazing. almost makes me forget about northstar breaking up. almost.
07:35 PM on 03/24/09
AbsoluteCJ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i fucking love this cd, very excited for what nick has planned next...
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS