The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:
the Glass Child www.charlotteeriksson.com www.facebook.com/theglasschild www.twitter.com/justaglasschild
1. How did you get your band name?
When I was younger people always told me that I was hard to get to know, and that it was as if I was living behind glass - I was always observing everyone, but no one could really reach me. That just stuck with me and people kept calling me the glass child. It came kind of natural.
2. How did this band get started?
I got into music when I was around 14, and first I just wrote writings and stories. Not lyrics really, just writings. And I never thought I would end up singing. When I was younger I thought it was the lamest thing, to sing. I always said "it's no sport, if you can't win the Olympics then what's the point?" haha. And now it's my whole life.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
I'm listening to so many different genres and bands, and I think you can really hear that in my music. I've always been listening to Brand New, Counting Crows and Ben Harper. I'm a huge fan of Set Your Goals, but also of Bjork, which is completely different. I don't get influences so much by genres and sounds, more of how they structure their songs, and how they use words, etc.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
The Used would be amazing. Or Valencia. Or Counting Crows. Or Brand New. Or.....
5. Best food to eat on tour?
Sushi, always. And coffee.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because they're gonna think thoughts and feel things they've never felt before.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
All those people who didn't believe in me. They made me want this even more.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Actually I think this is the best time to be involved in the music industry because there's no right or wrong anymore. It's all about finding new ways to reach out and connect, and for the first time, it's not that much about money, but about how hard you work and how much you actually want this.
10. Memorable tour experience?
I'm going on my first UK-tour in July, I'm sure I'm gonna find a couple of ways to make a fool of myself....
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
People who still care about the music instead of the hype.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
"Play Pretend," the first track on my new EP. I love the energy and how intense it is. I usually get the attention I want with that song.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Since I'm living in London now, which is quite intense and busy, it's like a vacation every time I go back to Sweden.
There's suddenly no people, quiet and no gigs to go to every night. But it's beautiful, and I always find myself writing new songs when I'm there. But after a week I get bored...
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Hanson. I was their biggest fan. I still am.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
To read other people's mind. It's the worst thing I know when you just can't figure out what's going on in someone's head. But I'd only wanna do it when I actually want to, like be able to switch it off.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Biting my nails and running around while trying to warm up.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have the messiest hair you can ever imagine. I'm starting to get natural dreads, and I'm too messy to stop it...
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I think there's so many songwriters and bands today who are trying so hard to write that "radio hit" instead of writing the music they really want to write, and I think that's kind of sad. But I definitely think that my music could fit on radio, I just don't ever wanna start to write with that in mind.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Write music or listen to music. Or go to live-shows.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I'm awesome at inlines.