AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Limbeck - Limbeck Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 5.25
Final Verdict: 66%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.92
Production 8.67
Creativity 7.67
Lasting Value 7.17
Reviewer Tilt 7.67
Average: 80%
Inside AP.net

Limbeck - Limbeck

Reviewed by: average_jane (04/11/07)
Limbeck - Limbeck
Record Label: Doghouse Records
Release Date: April 10th, 2007

Limbeck are known for their light, alt-country rock, and with their self-titled third studio album, they once again deliver us exactly that. Full of toe-tapping drumbeats and twangy guitars, Limbeck is the kind of album you play while sitting in your front porch swing on a summer day. The question is, are we getting anything new from the band with this release?

It seems so, with the rushing, swirling sounds at the beginning of "Trouble," which also incorporates a piano towards the end of the song. This trend of a wider range of instruments continues throughout the album, ultimately including elements like chimes, vocoders, and strings. This does a fair amount to expand the sound of the band. However, after that little bit of innovation, the band returns to the same old, same old.

Robb MacLean's voice is exactly the same, which is both a pro and a con. Pro, in the sense that his voice is perfectly suited to this style of music, and con in the sense that he doesn't have a lot of power and occasionally the music drowns him out where it shouldn't.

The majority of songs on this CD are of the lingering, meandering variety, with occasional guitar solos thrown in here and there. The subject matter tends to follow along with this style of song - most of them are about traveling: to places, from places, wanting to go places, wanting to stay in places. Clearly life on the road is what inspires MacLean.

As far as alt-country goes, it's fairly middle of the road. It's good music, but not top tier in the genre. I know it's a fairly limiting style of music, but I'd really like to see Limbeck try and push the expansion they have started with this album. More unusual instruments and different lyrical subjects, rather than the same thing over and over again. Because, as I said earlier, it's a good album but not really much in the way of new sounds. I feel like I've heard these songs before from this band. If I wanted to hear the same things over again, I'd stick in Let Me Come Home or Hi, Everything's Great.

Tracklisting:
01. Trouble
02. Big Drag *
03. Let Me Come Home
04. Bird Problems *
05. Keeping Busy
06. Reading The Street Signs
07. Wake Up
08. Let's Get Crazy
09. Your Story
10. Friends *
11. Sunset Limited

* - standout tracks

For fans of: Steel Train, Old '97s, Kevin Devine.

website | myspace | purevolume

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
10:01 PM on 04/11/07
AndThinkOfTexas
User Info.
I rarely post anymore, but I feel this release is worth some comments.

For starters, I love Limbeck. They're great guys, they're talented musicians and truly inspiring. I appreciate any band that can revert back to the roots of rock in a way that's still "cool" today. However, even with my Limbeck-leaning bias, I feel this effort could have been a lot better.

The lyrics, I feel, are great. However, one must admit that they're not near as catchy as those heard in Hi, Everything... and Let Me Come Home. This might have a lot to due with attempts to broaden their sound, which is respectable.

Musically, I’m semi-impressed. I’ll admit that I admire their attempts to broaden their sound. Their genre doesn’t leave much room for expansion. But I almost miss the stripped-down sound I fell in love with on previous records.

I think it’s too soon to say how much I’ll enjoy this record, but I’ll give it a shot for a while. It’s possible I’ll love this record as much or more than past efforts, but it will certainly be in time.

I’ll end by stating that the record is definitely worth the money. You won’t be disappointed.
09:35 AM on 04/12/07
drudo182
You Are Not Alone
User Info.
Yeah, I just got it and its not really hitting me so far and I really love the band.

It's not bad, just a bit bland.

Hope it gets better.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT