Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 9 posts
10:29 AM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Damn, there's no way it's this good. Why haven't I listened to this shit yet.
10:59 AM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Honestly this. Looking at his old reviews, average score has gone up. Might be contributed to him reviewing albums he like more, but whatever.
I still don't see the hype behind this.
Are you bashing ratings? The guy who uses a "projected score"?
11:18 AM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Tom seriously you can't defend it...him giving out 90's to every album he reviews. It's so bad at this point I laugh everytime I click on one of these and see the same, predictable score.
I'm telling you, as a fellow reviewer, I know the thought that Drew puts into the score is minimal. It truly doesn't matter. For myself, I try to reserve the things that I give 90s. But to each their own. Really the content of the review is what matter most.
11:55 AM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
A fanboy? Never said that. I promote good music. I've given less than stellar grades to some of my favorite artists such Max Bemis, Chris Conley, Craig Owens, and Alkaline Trio. I'm pals with All Time Low and I think their new album is awful. TBS is one of my favorite bands ever and I've ripped on their last two albums. If I think a band's new album is good/great, I'm gonna promote the shit out of it, how is that a bad thing?
Ugh you should really not use that word haha
03:12 PM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Promote/hype/talk about, whatever. If the music is good, i am going to encourage people to listen to it/buy it/support it. I'm gonna back the bands that deserve it.
Oh I just meant from the reviewing standpoint....reviewing to me isn't a cog in the machine to help promote a band. News posting/interviews/exclusives/tweeting/etc, that's more like promotion to me. Reviewing is more journalistic in my opinion, I think reviews should try to reflect the opinion of a record with as little bias as possible. Bias is unavoidable, yes, but promoting a band with a nice review comes across as unethical to me. Whatever, it's just different wording in the end.
It doesn't bug me, but its an observation I've made. If I had the time on my hands, id do statistical analysis to prove that Drew's reviews are statistically significantly higher than the rest of the staff.
It clearly bugs you. Do the stats on it. I took Statistics 1 and 2 so I'll be checking your work.
03:13 PM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I'm just the target of everyone, aren't I?
Seems like you can't state your opinion without backlash anymore.
Hey, at least people know my name now. There's a positive to everything.
Next time I'm talking to a stranger about AP.net I'll ask if they know your name too
03:19 PM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I mean, I took stat this year. Believe me, I know the exact procedure I'd do. I'd get every single review score by staff (probably in the last two years, since that's what I noticed the biggest change has come into), get Drew's, do a T test. it'd actually be extremely easy other than the fact that it'd be a bitch to do

I'm not saying it's true. I'm just noticing a pattern that I would love to test if there was an easier way of compiling scores.

And to your 2nd post, hahahaha. It's funny, because people are actually recognizing my name. I mean, it's only one or two per show, but it's something. hahaha.
It must be a real treat to know that one person will know who you are at a show every time your mom lets you go see one.
03:27 PM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
I heard I only pick shitty albums to review and that's why the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus has a picture of me in their practice space that they throw darts at.
03:36 PM on 05/13/11
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Yeah Jason actually has a good point. Since Drew doesn't write randomly assigned reviews your test is meaningless. Drew's review numbers have gone down in recent years and it's because he tends to review things he like more. That would be a probable cause of his higher ratings.

In any case, even if your test yielded an insanely low p-value, all it could ever imply is correlation and not causation.

WHOOPS LOOKS LIKE I DROPPED A STATS BOMB

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version