Password

Album Review

Endwell - Homeland Insecurity Album Cover

Endwell - Homeland Insecurity

Reviewed by
EndwellHomeland Insecurity
Label: Victory Records
Release Date: October 31

Sometimes a band will come along with a style of music so overplayed and saturated that it just makes you want to go insane. This was the case when I first heard Endwell. After seeing that they recently signed to Victory Records, I stumbled across the band's myspace and listened to several generic scream/sing styled demos. My initial opinion was this was what it would sound like to take a hardcore band and throw in some pop punk styled singing around the choruses. While I initially wasn’t impressed by the band's demos, I still decided to check out their debut full length, “Homeland Insecurity.”

Needless to say, on the first spin through my opinion on the band hadn’t changed much at all. There was still the standard tough guy shouting and high pitched singing, there was still the typical distorted guitar riffs, and there was still the same generic breakdowns recycled throughout the album. However, after giving the album a few more chances to impress, it did just that. Endwell will never get any credit for reinventing the wheel, but at least the songs that comprise “Homeland Insecurity” provide a number of thrills during the ride.

Musically, Endwell can be labeled as predictable and unoriginal as, for the most part, you’ve heard the same riffs and song structures before. Also, the band overuses the breakdown, which is typically never that necessary in the first place. However, after listening to songs like “Four Letter Words” and “Single and Loving It,” you can detect that the band might actually be adept musicians, as their trace use of soloing shows that the band could be doing better things. Vocally, the high pitched singing is about as textbook as you could get, but it still manages to work throughout most of the album, even creating several choruses that are rather catchy. The band occasionally mixes it up with the use of gang vocals, which work perfectly on “Whine and Dine.” However, the band nearly disregards the few elements that help them stand out, replacing them with the components that will allow them to fit into the scene.

“Homeland Insecurity” is nothing but one immense inner conflict. Not once on the album does Endwell come off as knowing what they want to do, as their full length lacks the vision needed to make it truly worthy. Sometimes they decide to branch out towards their pop-punk influences, with catchy choruses and singing, while other times they fall back on their hardcore roots, trying to sound as brutal as they can possibly sound with the generic tough guy vocals and redundant breakdowns. The band does have its moments, it’s just that they don’t capitalize on it. When it comes down to it, this album can be fun to listen to, but there are better options out there, including label mates A Day to Remember, who delivered their take on the ‘pop mosh’ scene perfectly.
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
10:57 AM on 04/13/07
PunkENG
Bow down to Xenu
User Info.
Saw this band open for Comeback Kid a few days ago and man they blew hardcore balls. Their drummer, who also sings, had one of they worst voices ever. They put me to sleep.
12:24 PM on 04/13/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Im seeing them live on the 27th. I saw a live video of them, they didnt sound that horrible.
12:50 PM on 04/13/07
thatwasamoment
RICH GANNON WAR WAGON
User Info.
the cd title throws me off
11:40 AM on 04/15/07
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
i used to seem them play local shows a few years back...

how they got signed is beyond me?
11:55 PM on 12/27/08
karlwithak
God mends broken hearts
User Info.
I randomly got the cd at Best Buy because the sticker said for fans of KSE and underoath. I would say, no its not like completely original style, but its very good. The lyrics of the songs are all great, thinking lyrics and the instrumentals rock. I give Homeland Inscurity a 4 out of 5
02:06 AM on 05/20/09
TrevCore
User Info.
i usually dont listen to much that sounds this generic but actually this cd came out a while ago so it wasnt quite as overplayed then, meaning they cant be completely blamed haha i actually like this cd

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos