Album Review

Cake On Cake - Guess I Was Daydreaming Album Cover

Cake On Cake - Guess I Was Daydreaming

Reviewed by
Cake On Cake - Guess I Was Daydreaming
Record Label - Desolation Records
Release Date - February 13, 2007

Who:

Helena Sundin is accurately described in her press release as a “one-woman Swedish orchestra”. She grew up in a village in northern Sweden and was classically trained in piano, cello, and voice but has since gone on to learn 20 instruments.

How Is It?

Make no mistake about it, Guess I Was Daydreaming fits quite snuggly in the “pop” category, but this is not your run-of-the-mill pop release. Chock full of instruments that include a marimba, metallophone, double bass, claves, and piano along with many more. While Sundin has a beautiful voice that fits well within the context of her bubbly, carefree pop, after a few tracks the album begins to drag. For all the Dan Bejar fans out there, be sure to check out Sundin’s highly enjoyable cover of Destroyer’s “English Music”. While Sundin shows a wealth of creativity and talent on Guess I Was Dreaming, the album loses its charm quickly. For those who love extremely mellow pop music that is a little on the quirky side, this album may be an instant favorite, but for the average listener I do not see this album getting more than a few spins.

Standout Tracks“Sea-Microphone”, “We Want To Be Happy”, “English Music”
Check It OutWebsite | Myspace
This review is a user submitted review from Rich Duncan. You can see all of Rich Duncan's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version