AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Heart-Set Self-Destruct - 05.18.11

Heart-Set Self-Destruct - 05.18.11

Interviewed by
Heart-Set Self-Destruct - 05.18.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

HEART-SET SELF-DESTRUCT
(questions answered by Dave)

www.myspace.com/heartsetselfdestruct
www.facebook.com/heartsetselfdestruct
www.reverbnation.com/heartsetselfdestruct

1. How did you get your band name?

The name Heart-Set Self-Destruct came from the many different relationships and experiences in ones life that end up failing after you pour your heart into them, whether it be someone asking you to give up things that define you, loving someone that will never except you or just something you had your heart set on happening that doesn't. We set ourselves up to self destruct everyday. That's how you know you are human. Everyone has been there. The key is just never giving up on people or things that are a part of you.

2. How did this band get started?
It started in 2005. I decided I needed to find guys that were ready to take this to the next level and do the work. It took about 6 months to find all the right guys - I met Dan (bass) at a party,Chris (guitar) through playing out with other bands, and Steve (drums) through auditions. We've been writing and touring ever since.

3. What bands are you influenced by?

We are influenced by bands like Chevelle, Three Days Grace, Rise Against, System of a Down, Breaking Benjamin, 30 Seconds to Mars, Red, etc......

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We would love to tour with Chevelle, Three Days Grace, 30 Seconds to Mars because I think we would mesh really well with their crowds and we would be able to learn from them as well. Being a newer band, learning is the key to building yourself into a better more efficient machine - business, live show, touring, budgeting, etc..... We have learned a lot on our current tour with Nonpoint.

5. Best food to eat on tour?

I really enjoy eating sub sandwiches, but we got to keep it healthy here and there. Catering is always a plus.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
I think we bring something to the table that people haven't heard before. Our hooks and choruses have their own identity to them. I also think we touch on subjects that a ton of people can relate to. I think we are able to combine some really interesting styles together (punk, hard rock, metal, and alternative) that we put our own spin on. Our single "Monster" focuses on not being able to keep your head above water and realizing you are never going to change.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I would switch with Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks. Not only is he an amazing player, but he is extremely professional during interviews and he is a stand up guy.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?

I would thank my Mom and Dad. Sometimes they didn't understand what I was trying to do, but they were always there to support me.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
------------------------------------------------

10. Memorable tour experience?
Summerfest 2010 in Milwaukee WI. We had a 5pm spot on July 3rd opening for Flyleaf and Framing Hanely. July 3rd is also when Milwaukee has their big fireworks show over Lake Michigan. There was thousands of people there. We made tons of new fans and got to meet tons of different bands.

11. What does Absolutepunk.net mean to you?
Absolute punk has always been an underground source for music news that I check on a regular basis. I've discovered plenty of new music on this site.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
I love playing our closing song "Useless." Its one of those songs that builds up perfectly in my mind. It has the melodic chilled out verses and the massive chorus. Even after 5 years of playing the song, it still gives me the chills.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?

I think the best and most relaxing vacation I have ever been on was to the Dominican Republic. It was the first vacation I went on that I actually got a chance to relax and I didn't have any place to be at any set time. The beaches were amazing. The people were amazing.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Iron Maiden, Metallica, Danzig, Nirvana, and Bush. That's what I was listening to for the longest time.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?

That's a toss up between flying and being able to warp. I think flying would be more fun. Just the thought of being able to take off into the sky is awesome. Plus you could mess with people by making extremely ridiculous bets that involve me flying. However, I would have to take the "warp" power where I could be anywhere at any time. It has more advantages. I would also be a super villain because even though they eventually get caught, they just do whatever they want.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?

30 min prior to our set, I have to start warming up my vocals. I get myself into "show mode" by really bringing up some bad memories and getting myself really pissed off - to the point I want to smash something. I'm also pretty anti-social before we go on.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?

---------------------------------------------------------------

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
We are an active rock band with radio friendly songs. So for us, radio is the place to be. Our song "Monster" will hit radio on May 24th.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?

Workout, go to shows, go watch Chicago sports - Blackhawks and the Bears, party with my friends, write music, and watch movies. I love vacationing if I can in between tours, which happens maybe once every five years.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?

I do a pretty good Clive Owen impersonation.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
11:37 AM on 05/19/11
Bryan Mac
GFYTN
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What the fuck is this shit?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music