Password

Album Review
Before Their Eyes - Before Their Eyes Album Cover

Before Their Eyes - Before Their Eyes

Reviewed by
Before Their Eyes – Before Their Eyes
Label: Rise
Release: May 15, 2007

2006 was a significant year for Findlay pop-punk band, the Drama Summer. The band, which had enjoyed immense success throughout northwest Ohio, signed to Eulogy Recordings and released their first proper release before ultimately breaking up. The musicians in the band would go on to form Plague the City while the bands’ vocalist, Nick Moore, would go on to form Before Their Eyes. After originally planning to release an EP through Stand By Records, Before Their Eyes signed to Rise Records and skipped the EP, opting instead to record their self-titled debut.

Before Their Eyes have only been around since late 2006 and their first shows were in late November 2006, so the fact their debut is as solid as it is was quite a surprise. Normally it takes some times for the ideas of band members to mesh and sound cohesive, but these Findlay natives seemed to nail it on the first try. While the band’s record label, Rise Records, would have you believe that these guys are just another screaming scene band, their self-titled release is quite the opposite. Favoring singing and melody over screaming, while still maintaining an edge to keep it from sounding to popish, Before Their Eyes have managed to craft ten emotional songs ready for sing alongs, as well as the occasional mosh pit.

Album opening “City In A Snow Globe” sets the tone immediately with the song starting off with some mellow instrumentation before picking up the pace and creating a song that can be labeled as both fun and memorable. The lyrics, like almost all of the songs on the album, deal with relationships. While some people will roll their eyes, the bands intended fan base will absolutely eat this stuff up. “The Journey Down South (Starts With A 2 Step)” sees the band showcasing a slight southern rock influence on the songs, leading to a mosh-friendly climax involving some cow bell. And in my opinion, any song that has cow bell is ten times better than a song without any cow bell.

One of the interesting trends in music that has became more prominent over the last year is that more and more bands are combing elements of pop punk with hardcore. While various bands have played their hand at this newer sub genre, Before Their Eyes seem to do it better than their contemporaries. The musicianship is passable, the songs are catchy, there’s melody, and there’s aggression. While Before Their Eyes lack originality, for them to craft such an impressive debut is worthy of noting, especially since these guys have literally only been around for months.
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
10:35 PM on 04/17/07
polock
yaaaankee! swap
User Info.
planning on picking this up
07:27 AM on 04/18/07
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
planning on picking this up

Whoa, I didn't get a 'fuck you' response from you.

I guess we agree on something.
02:43 PM on 04/18/07
polock
yaaaankee! swap
User Info.
yea, strange
12:30 PM on 04/20/07
Mart2023
User Info.
any song that has cow bell is ten times better than a song without any cow bell

completely agree
06:52 AM on 05/10/07
samgasm
Young And Aspiring
User Info.
This album is fucking incredible, definitely one of my faves so far this year. The Journey Down South - who else is daring enough to go doo-dodo-doo and growl within the space of 10 seconds :-D
11:56 PM on 08/22/07
mayrawrockkill
User Info.
i love this band
04:22 PM on 09/18/07
Shrillex
is awesome fo sho hoe
User Info.
great review. going to look for the album
12:46 PM on 08/27/09
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
Quote:
And in my opinion, any song that has cow bell is ten times better than a song without any cow bell.

I got a fever, and the only prescription, is more cowbell.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos