AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Select Start - The New Atlantic Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9.63
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.38
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Select Start - The New Atlantic

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (05/22/11)
Select StartThe New Atlantic EP
Record Label: Unrivaled Management
Release Date: May 20, 2011

Coming from Tampa, Florida, Select Start are a pop-rock band headed by Daniel Lancaster (the brother of Go Radio’s vocalist Jason Lancaster). They recorded their sophomore EP, The New Atlantic, with Lee Dyess (Mayday Parade, From First To Last, Go Radio), proving Daniel may very well be following Jason to success, although fronting an entirely different group than that of Go Radio.

Evident from the opening “A Man Amongst Gentlemen,” it’s clear that Select Start are not exactly the norm for a pop-rock band, as Lancaster’s heartfelt vocals are backed by horns and old-fashioned country-style guitar play. After the first taste of his unique vocals, Lancaster shines throughout “Hands to the Ceiling” on what may be the vocal pinnacle of The New Atlantic. Throughout the track, Lancaster shows off his pipes in an almost Max Bemis fashion, which is not a bad style for him by any means. Similarly, “Hold Your Ground” channels a little more of the signature pop sound of The Format (or fun.) vocally, with Lancaster and Joe Guerra complimenting one another on vocals.

Conversely, the acoustic “Only You” provides an entirely different view of Select Start on this old-fashioned sounding pop gem, utilizing violins and sky-high vocals to add to the depth of this supreme number. The record clearly balances straightforward pop tunes (the upbeat “The (Pretty) Good Life”) with stripped down, raw acoustic tracks (the closing “So Far”). Each are memorable in their own way, but particularly it is the final performance on “So Far” that truly conveys the uniqueness of Select Start, with each of the six members chiming in throughout this bare performance, proving there aren’t too many other pop bands like this. As the EP closes, it’s apparent that those expecting another Go Radio will be disappointed; however, fans with an open mind looking for some fun, unique pop tunes will be right at home with Select Start.

Recommended If You Likedifficult to name – maybe fun. (or The Format) or even some elements of Panic! At The Disco’s Pretty. Odd.

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. A Man Amongst Gentlemen
2. Hands to the Ceiling
3. Read Black and White
4. Only You
5. The (Pretty) Good Life
6. Hold Your Ground
7. So Far

Select Start are:
Daniel Lancaster – Vocals, Guitar
Joe Guerra – Vocals, Guitar
Jason Polo – Guitar
Matt Reisinger – Keyboards, Vocals
Adam Loper – Bass
Patrick Guyer – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18.
12:00 AM on 05/23/11
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
I don't know how I feel about this EP. Some good songs some ehh.

Needs way more Daniel. Not really feeling the other guys voice..

Miss Stages.
02:35 AM on 05/23/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Ill check this out
05:48 AM on 05/23/11
derekrvr
is a koala bear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
It's a great ep, and a great review. Saw them on Friday and they were wonderful.
06:39 AM on 05/23/11
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Will definitely be picking this up, I have loved Daniels voice since he was in Stages and Stereos. The Lancasters just know to write good music
08:49 AM on 05/23/11
ReadyForAction
life in the greenhouse effect
User Info.
I can't believe this is the same band that was covering Cascada at every show. It's nice to see them progressing

Also, I really want to see them cover Cascada again
09:46 AM on 05/23/11
derekrvr
is a koala bear
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a little odd, but am I the only one picking up ymaewk vibes on this? I was talking to Matt at the show on Friday, and he said that he wasn't hearing it, but it's just screaming things are really weird right now. But in a good way. Am I insane?
10:52 AM on 05/23/11
Clockwork00
Write it on the walls and read it.
User Info.
Hoping to get this soon. You Love it. You Hate it. You Want it. was brief awesomeness.
11:02 AM on 05/23/11
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Remarkably interested, will listen.
02:02 PM on 05/23/11
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
I want this cd so bad, too bad shipping is ridiculous
02:21 PM on 05/23/11
Colino
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really enjoy this ep, great progression from their last. Not what I expected at all, but it's really catchy and I'm diggin it. Great work guys.
02:37 PM on 05/23/11
bobsheiskawy
www.facebook.com/misewell
User Info.
This is a little odd, but am I the only one picking up ymaewk vibes on this? I was talking to Matt at the show on Friday, and he said that he wasn't hearing it, but it's just screaming things are really weird right now. But in a good way. Am I insane?
this was the exact vibe i was getting from it. i should have a review up on mindequalsblown.net by the end of the week.
09:33 PM on 05/23/11
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
EP is interesting. I can't help but be a little disappointed, as they did the whole pop-punk (with emphasis on the pop) better than anyone else, but the songs are fun and super-solid, so I can't be disappointed for too long.
11:08 AM on 05/31/11
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
That's exactly the band i compared them to when i was telling my friends about the new record. Lots of different instrument use, etc.
11:27 AM on 05/31/11
herestoyoufla
Still starin' down the sun
User Info.
Joe's a good singer and all, but for some reason his voice just seems very bland and plain to me. I find myself just waiting for daniel to come in on each song...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests