AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dinosaur Bones - My Divider Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Dinosaur Bones - My Divider

Reviewed by: Jeremy Aaron (05/23/11)
Dinosaur Bones - My Divider
Record Label: Dine Alone
Release Date: March 8, 2011

Who?

Dinosaur Bones are an alternative rock band from Toronto. My Divider is their debut full-length, following last year's Birthright EP.

How Is It?

It should prove to be quite enjoyable for fans of moody '90s indie rock and post-hardcore, as well as the more guitar-centric bands from the '00s who mix atmosphere with catharsis. The album opener "Making Light" sets the stage, as it's very representative of My Divider as a whole, with it's fiery guitar and rumbling bass evoking ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's blend of intimate emotion and fist-pumping bombast. While there is some lighter-sounding fare on the album, most notably the mildly catchy jangle-pop of "Bombs in the Night", it's primarily a brooding affair, but given the band's talent with more somber material, this is definitely not a cause for complaint.

For proof of the band's knack for nailing emotionally charged tunes, look no further than the album highlight (and one of the year's very best tracks) "N.Y.E.", on which vocalist Ben Fox sounds similar to Julian Casablancas, but the song couldn't be further from The Strokes in terms of feel; rather, a more accurate comparison might be a keyboard-heavy Far, or perhaps Mineral. Songs about New Years can be rather serious (Death Cab for Cutie's "The New Year") or playfully humorous (The Dismemberment Plan's "The Ice of Boston"), but almost always reflective, and "N.Y.E." is no different. Elsewhere on My Divider, Fox unveils a pretty spot-on Tim Kasher impersonation, particularly on the explosive "Hunter", which also boasts some sharp Cursive-esque guitar work. Though heavy but melodic riffs are almost a ubiquitous presence, Dinosaur Bones prove themselves more than capable with a stripped-down ballad with the spacy "Ice Hotels".

My Divider does run into an inevitable snag or two along the way. "Life in Trees" opens auspiciously with an ominous guitar line, but as a whole, it comes off sort of flat and ultimately drags by. "Royalty", while possessing more of a driving tempo, fails to capitalize on the momentum, delivering only a weak half-hook. Despite the occasional slip-up in execution, you can't go wrong with the influences Dinosaur Bones display here, and they offer more than enough praiseworthy material to make the album a recommended listen, invoking the morose, contemplative spirit of '90s indie without resorting to out-and-out worship.

RIYLHum's Downward Is Heavenward; Cursive's Mama, I'm Swollen; ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead's Worlds Apart

Track Listing1. Making Light (3:05)
2. Sharks in the Sand (3:37)
3. Bombs in the Night (2:19)
4. N.Y.E. (4:15)
5. Hunter (5:07)
6. Life in Trees (4:09)
7. Point of Pride (5:04)
8. Ice Hotels (4:19)
9. Royalty (3:52)
10. Highwire Act (4:18)
11. My Divider (6:16)

Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
04:26 PM on 05/23/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Solid review, Jeremy.
11:59 PM on 05/23/11
Co and Ca
What are you doing here?
User Info.
i planned on checking this out but never did. maybe i will soon.
04:33 AM on 05/24/11
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
good review, agreed on most things except I think of it as a more relaxed record than you seem to. glad you noticed the Kasher/Casablancas similarities, no one else seemed to. lots of Radiohead comparisons instead. anyway, one of the best so far this year.
08:44 AM on 05/24/11
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Saw them open for Tokyo Police Club a while back and they were pretty good. I enjoyed the album as well.
10:24 AM on 05/24/11
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I also saw them with TPC in April and it was a good thing because I probably wouldn't have checked them out otherwise. Good review!
06:28 PM on 05/24/11
BornUnderPunches
I am not a dirty god
User Info.
Love this album.
06:30 PM on 06/04/11
WatchThemSuffer
User Info.
titties? here?!
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music