AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

StumbleDrunk - 05.20.11

Interviewed by
StumbleDrunk - 05.20.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

StumbleDrunk

www.wearestumbledrunk.com
www.wearestumbledrunk.bandcamp.com
www.twitter.com/stumbledrunk
www.postersonwallsrecords.com

1. How did you get your band name?
Even before we were a band, several of us would often go camping together. These usually turned into quite the drunken excursions when they happened, so in November of 2008 when we camped on a steep cliff, our soon-to-be-bass player looked around and said, "If we get too stumbledrunk, we might fall off this damn cliff." The rest of the night was spent joking about how awesome our country thrash band called 'stumbledrunk' would be. Maybe we never sobered up from this night?

2. How did this band get started?
Carter and Tucker are brothers. Carter and Derek met in 6th grade. Wayne is the best drummer anyone we know has met. Josh Massey was roommates with Tucker and played a mean lead. It just fell into place naturally as Carter's other band (The Scotland Yard Sale) was ending. We spent a whole summer writing tunes and getting drunk together and jumped right into playing shows that were bigger than our britches. We spent a lot of time in the studio in 2010 and made a terrific record we're all proud of. One thing just kept leading to another, and we are too stupid or stubborn to turn back now.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I think you can hear a lot of early Modest Mouse in what we're doing. All of Derek's bass playing is heavily influenced by Kim Deal and what The Pixies and the Toadies are about. Tucker and Carter grew up listening to a lot of pop 70's records like the Marshall Tucker Band. Paul Westerberg and The Replacements (as well as Bash&Pop) are huge influences to Carter. Josh studies up on his ZZTop and Zeppelin quite a bit.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I think touring with The Mats circa 1986 would have made us men really fast. We will play with The Toadies someday - it is part of our destiny.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
If we eat like shit, we tend to play like shit. Get your fruits or you'll regret it, homies! We're all food nuts. We love us some good eating.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because when you turn Monday Evenings up REALLY loud, it sounds tremendous. I also really think we're doing some out-of-the-box stuff. Monday Evenings is a good glimpse into a few different genres we love, and our next EP coming out this fall is MUCH more aggressive than Monday Evenings. We're a grower, so download the record (for free) and crank it on a roadtrip.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Whoever gets laid the most.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Justin Douglas engineered our record and really improved our chops while we recorded with him. Check out his kickass band - http://royalforest.bandcamp.com/

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I hate the cool kids' attitudes. Fuck all the cool kids.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Carter blew a snot-rocket on stage at Antone's in the middle of our ballad, "Everything is OK" earlier this year. There were a ton of 13 year old girls in the front row there to see the scene band that played after us. I think they really liked the snot-rocket.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Anytime there is a gathering of such a huge amount of rabid music fans, you get tons of people exposed to new and different music.
Discovering new music is what life is about it seems.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
All the new stuff off our upcoming EP is ridiculously fun to play since they are so different from what is on [i]Monday Evenings[/I. But I really love playing "Up All Night" and "Shove." They're just solid tunes that everyone seems to really react to. The bridge during "Hotels" always ends up with us taking shots on stage too, so I guess that's a favorite as well.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We don't take vacations. We just get drunk.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Paul McCartney - "Flowers In The Dirt."

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Invisibility for us perverts.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We like to drink (obviously). We practice buzzed, and the songs are sort of built around this idea of us running and gunning. We never know what is going to happen at our shows, and I think that's the best part.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
That we're super sweet guys. We want to be your friends. Or your worst enemies. Or both.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
I've actually been really surprised by what's getting played in the last year on pop radio. Maybe we DO have a place on there? I dunno, I think we tend to be too obsessed with speaking our minds and furthering ourselves via our own music to worry about the radio. Also, I only see our band getting more aggressive as the albums go by, until someday we record StumbleDrunk Repents which would be (obviously) the spiritual/hallelujah-we're-still-alive album.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We make music in our spare time.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
We give great feet massages. Except for Derek; he only receives the best feet massages. When we're drunk.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests