AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Gargage - 05.21.11

Interviewed by
Gargage - 05.21.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Gargage

www.gargagerock.com
www.facebook.com/gargage

1. How did you get your band name?
It's kind of funny how we got our name. In Spanish our name means absolutely nothing. Actually, it has no meaning in any language but in our own. In Panama we tend to mix Spanish and English a lot, and we translate words when we talk. So we were making fun of the word “gargajo” which means “spit” in English, and we just thought it would be funny to invent a word for that, kind of a slang for it, and the name came from that.

2. How did this band get started?
Ian Pescod (lead vocals and guitarist) and Ramon Vallarino (bass and vocals) were together in another band called Fake. They decided they wanted to start writing heavier stuff, getting influences from bands like Story of the Year, The Used, My Chemical Romance and many others. They decided to leave this band and start Gargage. It began as a side project, but as soon as they started recording they saw that there was a bigger demand than what expected. They called Rhandy Hurley to fill in for drums and met Joel Mendez through a friend who then became the lead guitarist. After touring and playing several headlining sold-out shows, the band decided to add Ricardo Rios to fill in for backup vocals and the synthetizer. The band pursued their dream to travel to the U.S.A and recorded their first ever full length album with Justin Day at New Noise Recordings in Baltimore, Maryland. The album is called Believe In The Dreamer.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I would say that we are influenced by many bands. Some of them are Story of The Year, RxBandits, Mcfly, Bullet For My Valentine, A Day To Remember, All Time Low. And more importantly, life and the unpredictable events that come with it.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Since our music covers many genres, we could go on tour with bands from different genres. Some of them being Bullet For My Valentine, Story of The Year, Yellowcard, All Time Low, Fall Out Boy, Four Year Strong and New Found Glory.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Arroz con Pollo. That’s Spanish for RICE AND CHICKEN!! With ketchup please.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We propose a different type of vibe with our music. We are a band with a very unique variety of music. People who listen to Lady Gaga may like songs like "Vinegar," "For You," "I Can't Believe" or "Like I Did." Whereas people who listen to heavier stuff like Bring Me The Horizon or Attack! Attack! would be more driven to listen to "Don’t Tell Me," "A Lot Has Changed" and "Deer Run Ln." The concept of the album is to Believe in The Dreamer and for a Central American band it's pretty hard to stand out, so we are doing our best to push the envelope and destroy the stereotype. When you listen to our music you’ll feel love, hope, disaster, catharsis among many other feelings. But what you will learn is that if five crazy bastards who no one knows, who live in the middle of the world in a really small country and speak English as a second language, can create such feelings and positive messages and send these messages across the world, then there are big dreamers in this world and there are people who really work their asses off for the feeling of music.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Irvin Saladino: Panamanian long jumper. He is the current Olympic champion and Panama's first and only Olympic gold medalist.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We would break that Grammy in pieces and make sure to send a piece of it to everyone who ever supported our music and helped us get there.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Music Industry...is that still working?

10. Memorable tour experience?
Sleeping in cars and many, many, many, pranks shared with fellow Panamanian band MD.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
To us AP.net is a website that helps independent bands get a say in the industry. We are living proof that this is true. A band from Panama in Central America? Isn’t that crazy?

12. What is your favorite song to play?
We love playing the whole set, but some of our favorites could be "A Lot Has Changed," "Don’t Tell Me," "Vinegar" and "Still Alive (Dream On)."

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
The beach. Which for us is 15 minutes away.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
You’ve probably never heard of these bands, but we'll mention them just in case: Mana, El Canto Del Loco. Also, Limpbizquit and Korn (these I'm sure you’ve heard of...not sure about the other ones).

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Create food and shelter with one wink.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We tend to gather up and say what we feel for like 30 seconds, then put our hands together and scream a crazy word. Most of the time it's a word or phrase that is random.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Many of us are graduated from college and have our degree, some of us work in finances, art, and own private businesses.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Since we have so much variety in our music, we feel that we have more than three songs that could flourish on radio stations around the world. Actually, three of our songs are on heavy rotation on national radio stations in Panama and “Vinegar(Acoustic)” has been on a Top Ten countdown on a national rock station.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We love going out to the beach, skim boarding, and hanging out with friends

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Ian is an amazing music arranger and actor.
Ricardo can sing as high as a high pitch can go and is an amazing love song songwriter.
Joel is one of the most talented artists you could ever meet. He did the whole “Believe In The Dreamer” album art, and when he is not at work or playing he is probably painting his as* off.
Rhandy is an airplane pilot and a really good actor.
Ramon can run any kind of business and has the talent of making jokes out of everything.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
10:03 PM on 05/30/11
leaving_astoria
get old or die trying
User Info.
gay
10:32 PM on 05/30/11
The Minn
User Info.
I seriously thought this was an interview with Garbage.....
11:04 AM on 05/31/11
aerivera507
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great band, great people, great music!
and btw about those 2 comments, thats why the world is so fucked up with people like em.
No respect beetwen musicians, keep rocking GARGAGE!
07:50 PM on 05/31/11
leaving_astoria
get old or die trying
User Info.
Great band, great people, great music!
and btw about those 2 comments, thats why the world is so fucked up with people like em.
No respect beetwen musicians, keep rocking GARGAGE!
gay!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version