Password

Album Review
The Fold - Secrets Keep You Sick Album Cover

The Fold - Secrets Keep You Sick

Reviewed by
The Fold - Secrets Keep You Sick
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: May 22, 2007

“We started off with the intention of writing a pop album but… things change” states vocalist/guitarist Daniel Castady. While things may have changed from the initial stages to the completed product, the Fold’s second full length, “Secrets Keep You Sick” is still filled with the aforementioned pop elements. The Fold - rounded off by guitarist Aaron Green, bassist Keith Mochel, and drummer Mark Rhoades - reached a limited peak of success with their debut released last year, selling over 15,000 copies and getting their name out to the masses due to a relentless touring schedule. While their debut, “This Too Shall Pass” started off with promise, it fizzled out in the end, becoming just another tedious affair not worth the effort. So with a little more time under their belt, “Secrets Keep Your Sick” is back to a decent amount of anticipation and the potential to finally establish the Fold as one of the better radio friendly rock bands.

First things first, “Secrets Keep You Sick” sounds just about as good as you’re gonna get. One of the best aspects of Tooth & Nail bands is that you’re just about guaranteed two things for every album: great album production and outstanding artwork. Needless to say, “Secrets Keep You Sick” is no different here. However, an album is about the songs, not the money spent on production and art design.

The songs featured here contain the same elements that helped the Fold established their sound, but they also include the same pit falls from their previous effort. While Daniel Castady delivers his singing near perfectly, there’s just something missing that holds the songs back. Part of is the fact that a number of the choruses don’t hit too hard and simply put, aren’t catchy. Mix that with the fact that most of the songs are undistinguished and you have a mainly forgettable album. While the polish on the outside would have you think that the album is of a higher class, this is still generic rock, just with a higher production cost. Take for example, “Medicine” and “Younger Than Our Years.” Each song sounds great and might keep your interest for its duration, but none of them contain any elements that make you want to go and listen to them again. Also, by the time it ends, it’s near impossible to recall a single second of the song you just listened to. As the album goes through it becomes a tedious task of just trying to sit through the albums’ entirety.

Luckily, though, the entire album isn’t a complete loss, as there are a number of highs on an otherwise unimpressive album. “Your Secrets Keep Sick” comes off as a fun, catchy pop influenced rock song ready for a number of sing-alongs. “New Skeptic” allows the musicianship to take showcase, including an admirable solo to bring something new to the mix, while “Faster Still” sees the band branching off into new territory with the addition of some synth to the albums slowest song. However, the occasional use of an acoustic guitar or slowed down pace can’t keep the album varied enough to keep the listener’s interest to the end.

“Secrets Keep You Sick” has promise, but in the end falls short once again. It sounds great, looks great, and singer Daniel Castady brings his A-game to the table, but it still can’t help the fact these songs are mainly disposable, unmemorable pop-influenced rock songs. With a little more variety and the ability to craft catchier choruses, the Fold could eventually get it together for album number three, but until they do, there still stuck in the waves of uninteresting, generic rock that will soon be forgotten.

Recommended if you like: Motion City Soundtrack, just about every band signed to Tooth & Nail Records labeled as 'rock'
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
09:48 PM on 04/19/07
gnp8472
sever your leg please
User Info.
agreed, good review.

however, i really don't think the production deserved such a high score... it was good for an indei label, but it wasn't 9.75 worthy.

9, maybe 9.25 imo.

and i don't see the MCS comparisons, but maybe thats just me again... but good review, your points are good and i agree on the score.
01:27 PM on 04/20/07
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
I really like "Younger Than Our Years".
09:55 PM on 04/20/07
dpatrickguy
User Info.
i love this cd except for the first song and the last song
08:34 PM on 04/25/07
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I think this is going to end up being one of my favorites this year. I can't get enough of this album!
09:19 AM on 04/27/07
ytcracka
User Info.
how do you already have this cd? I preordered mune a long time ago, and still don't have it.
03:39 PM on 05/04/07
irishpunk14
User Info.
still thinking of preordering it.
10:17 AM on 05/23/07
hailthewarrior
haters gonna hate hate hate
User Info.
i love this cd. it gets better with every listen.
06:20 AM on 05/24/07
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
I pre-ordered this cd and got an extra album cover that was signed by the band. Pretty cool!
06:24 AM on 05/24/07
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
What about the song "Hey Rebekah?" That track is amazing!
07:54 PM on 05/30/07
ImJudgingYou
User Info.
This review disgusts me. You obviously don't know good music when you hear it.
04:51 PM on 08/09/07
StarryNight10
User Info.
I like this album, but just like their last CD, I got tired of it quickly...
07:05 AM on 04/25/08
roisterboy
roisterboy
User Info.
I don't think this album is as disappointing as the review protrays. It's definitely one of the better albums from Tooth and Nail

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos