AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Peace Mercutio - 05.29.11

Peace Mercutio - 05.29.11

Interviewed by
Peace Mercutio - 05.29.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Peace Mercutio

www.facebook.com/peacemercutio
www.myspace.com/peacemercutio
www.purevolume.com/peacemercutio
www.peacemercutio.com

1. How did you get your band name?
DAN: I was in my cubicle tripping on a crap ton of coffee and I told myself, "Peace, Mercutio" (a line from "Romeo and Juliet") to calm down. Then I was like "Hey, that's cool."

2. How did this band get started?
Andy Lundman wanted to start a new music project, Dan Buckley realized he hated corporate America, David Oquist took a risk, and Taylor Jurgens answered a Craigslist ad. The rest is history.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
DAN: Foo Fighters, Paramore, Jimmy Eat World, Anberlin, Yellowcard, Mae.
DAVE: Thrice, The Felix Culpa, Sunny Day Real Estate, and many others.
TAYLOR: A Day To Remember, Emery, Senses Fail, Nofx, Underoath.
ANDY: Anberlin, Mae, mewithoutYou, MxPx, The Ataris, Sherwood, Thrice, Jimmy Eat World.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
All of the above. They are all our heroes and the biggest influences in our lives and who we are today.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
DAN: Pizza, Burgers, Cheez-its, Puppy Chow.
DAVE: Anything cheap or free.
TAYLOR: McDonalds' double cheeseburgers and canned pineapple.
ANDY: Non-greasy food. Trail mix. Sandwiches. Juice/Water. Subway.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen because they will enjoy this music. The songs are about some tough stuff we've dealt with that everyone can relate to. We try to wrap the words up in easy-to-swallow melodies and add enough rock to keep it from getting boring. People who have been burned by relationships will like this music. People who want to be in a relationship will like this music. People who hate Chicago will like this music. It's made to be enjoyed and rocked out to.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
DAN: LeBron James. That guy is powerful.
DAVE: Paul Molitor. He was the main baseball player I looked up to as a kid. I don't pay attention to sports now.
TAYLOR: Randy Johnson. I wish I could throw a ball like that guy. What if I could play the drums as fast as he could throw? Birds would die!
ANDY: Aaron Rogers. Why not?

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
DAN: Whoever the heck helped me win a Grammy. It’s a team sport, I imagine.
DAVE: Our friends and family who support us.
TAYLOR: My family would be number 1 because they've supported me in everything I do.
ANDY: My mom and dad. The Lord. The bros in my band. Anyone who’s ever played music and inspired me.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
DAN: I'd make it easier for good bands to get signed. I know a few (I'm sure everyone knows a few) who are better than the bands that are already signed. The way the industry is, the labels aren't taking chances. I wanna hear my favorite unsigned bands in a way that only getting signed can accomplish, and the ability to take risks isn't there for the labels right now. Bands suffer because they can't get their music out, and people suffer because they miss out on some great bands.
DAVE: I would make it so that major labels wouldn't rip off bands, and that there would be more variety in the media.
TAYLOR: I think I would try to make it a little less about money and the life of luxury and more about the music and the passion to do what you love.
ANDY: That is wasn't so crowded.

10. Memorable tour experience?
DAN: I wish we were on tour.
DAVE: In a previous band, I went to Cornerstone Festival in Illinois and we played generator stages and saw a whole bunch of other amazing bands. We also went to Iowa and some super friendly people let us crash at their place and made us breakfast the next morning. I forgot my phone there and they paid to ship it to me.
TAYLOR: I think what's stuck with me the most is the fellowship you have with everyone the whole time. You meet so many new friends and so many great people. Oh, and the smell a van emits after 2 weeks of less than optimal living conditions.
ANDY: Just being on the road playing music. Hard to say one thing specifically.

11.What does AP.net mean to you?
Great music, news, and opportunities for anyone and everyone who loves music.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
DAN: I don't know, there are a couple of favs. “Building and Breaking” is definitely fun, but right now the current favorite is a new one called “Too Close for Comfort.”
DAVE: “Building and Breaking.” It's energetic and catchy.
TAYLOR: Definitely “Building and Breaking,” but “Street Lights” is a close second. They both will get stuck in your head for days at a time.
ANDY: “Street Lights.” It's dynamic and high energy.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
DAN: Pfff vacation? No, but seriously, probably anyplace warm with a beach? I love Warren Dunes in Michigan. Maybe if Seattle had huge sand dunes and warm weather I would pick Seattle.
DAVE: I used to go camping every year at Peninsula State Park in Door County, Wisconsin. I've also been camping along the Oregon coast and enjoyed that a lot.
TAYLOR: I love camping. So pretty much anywhere camping would be pretty great. Ocean Shores is always a good spot.
ANDY: Superior, Wisconsin. It's a small town feel and just beautiful.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
DAN: Ghoti Hook, DC Talk, Jars of Clay, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Weezer. Yeah. Rad bands.
DAVE: Petra, Keith Green, The Monkees, music from Disney movies.
TAYLOR: NOFX, MxPx, The Ataris, Rancid. Lots of punk growing up. (Thanks bro).
ANDY: MxPx, Ghoti Hook, Ace Troubleshooter, The Ataris, The Beach Boys, Ricky Nelson.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
DAN: Ability to fly. Come on, have you seen airfare these days?
DAVE: The ability to heal people. It distresses me when people I know are sick or injured.
TAYLOR: I would want to be able to read other people's minds. I don't like wondering what other people are thinking all the time.
ANDY: Flight. Boring, I know. But seriously, it'd be amazing to just be able to fly.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
DAN: We have a secret phrase that we say to each other before every show. I'll give you a hint, it's from the movie "Zombieland."
DAVE: Prayer.
TAYLOR: Hydrate or Die!!
ANDY: No superstitions. Prayer. Rest, warming up vocally, stretching, jumping jacks, and more prayer (in that order).

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
DAN: I'm an excel wizard. I've spent some time in corporate America. I don't like it, but a guy's gotta eat. I do my time in the cubicle so
I can make music in the evenings and on weekends. Sometimes you have to grin and bear the unpleasant things in life so you can do what you love. Sometimes I feel a bit like Clark Kent at the Daily Planet...
DAVE: I once played in a metalcore band.
TAYLOR: I wrestled for like 13 years and went to the nationals tournament in Alabama my sophomore year. Worst trip ever.
ANDY: I was recruited by UW Green Bay at a summer basketball camp between my sophomore and junior year of high school.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
DAN: *Sigh* maybe? If we were signed and had some auto-tuning. I think the 90's and the days of Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Blink 182 being acceptable pop/radio music are gone for the moment. The few alternative stations that are still out there are keeping it real, but most of it is super-popped out at the moment.
DAVE: I haven't listened to the radio in years, so I'm not the person to ask about its current state.
TAYLOR: I think that radio today could be more varied and open to new and different sounds. But I think our sound is definitely something that could be listened to and be enjoyed on air waves across the board.
ANDY: It changes from city to city in many ways. The independent stations are usually the better ones, but lately they seem to be playing a lot of indie rock. That may just be Seattle though. Do I think we could flourish on the radio? Possibly. Our songs are catchy and current, in my opinion.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
DAN: Video games, music, and running. I love a good yog (soft ‘J’).
DAVE: Hang out with friends, go to parks, go running, listen to music.
TAYLOR: Netflix, Hulu, music, best friends, and family.
ANDY: Basketball, bonfires, snowboarding, hanging out, cooking, ultimate frisbee, frisbee golf.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
DAN: I'm pretty darn good at ultimate frisbee and can run and jump pretty well. I don't really look like the type of guy who would have speed or ups, so I like to think of them as hidden talents.
DAVE: I can hold my breath underwater for 2 hours, stand on my hands for a day, and I can run up to nine miles. Only that last one is true.
TAYLOR: I'm the only person I've ever met that can drink a gallon of milk in an hour and not puke. I drink a lot of milk. Haha.
ANDY: I have a secret burger recipe that’s legendary among my friends.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
10:44 AM on 06/07/11
XenoAbe
Cowboy monkey riding border collies
User Info.
Great interview. I hung out with these guys many times when I was up in Seattle. Great guys that hopefully are given a shot by a label.
05:21 PM on 06/07/11
manwithoutwax
User Info.
great band of hard working dudes!
11:39 PM on 06/07/11
wedin4showbread
Joeltheherald
User Info.
great dudes that are extremely generous and just plain awesome!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos