Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 30
01:05 PM on 06/07/11
drudo182
Be Royal
User Info.
I like this album quite a bit but it hasn't hit me like their past work.
01:10 PM on 06/07/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Explosions' beauty is in their simplicity. When they try to add too many odd samples, irrelevant instrumentation, and skewed time signatures, then the wagon veers too far off the path. They managed to make some fantastic music with Take Care, but it's still not as remotely compelling as their 2003 opus The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place. "Your Hand in Mine" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and they set the bar extremely high with it. Unfortunately, they may not ever be able to match the quality they recorded several years ago.
04:19 PM on 06/07/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
One thing I've always wondered about reviews of instrumental albums on here, does the lack of a score for lyrics and vocals make a difference to the overall score?

Good review, agree that they could of done something better, put them selves out there a bit in order to do something new and exciting, dangerous even. They do seem to have just played it safe and done what they always do. Not a bad thing, just nothing exciting.
Well, if you average 8, 8, 7, 7, and 7, you get 7.4. So no.
05:38 PM on 06/07/11
alert=danger
twitter.com/christopmclean
User Info.
Well, if you average 8, 8, 7, 7, and 7, you get 7.4. So no.
I was going with the score on the front page, so Yes.

Thanks.
10:53 PM on 06/07/11
Illuminate
It's a shame we need everything
User Info.
I disagree.
01:54 PM on 06/10/11
Aziraphale
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. It's well written for a user review, minus one flaw at the end:

"The final track “Let Me Back In” sounds like a classic Explosions… song minus the drum beat which has a slight jumpiness to it – it’s hard to describe but it is like an actual beat and not just a percussion piece that compliments the ‘scenic’ qualities of their guitar melodies…these beats still do compliment the melodies beautifully, but they just offer the songs a different angle and drive that was not as apparent on older material "

need to rewrite that beast of sentence. it's not quite a run on, but it definitely doesn't convey the intended meaning well at all.

Overall, great job!
01:48 AM on 06/11/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Great review. It's well written for a user review, minus one flaw at the end:

"The final track “Let Me Back In” sounds like a classic Explosions… song minus the drum beat which has a slight jumpiness to it – it’s hard to describe but it is like an actual beat and not just a percussion piece that compliments the ‘scenic’ qualities of their guitar melodies…these beats still do compliment the melodies beautifully, but they just offer the songs a different angle and drive that was not as apparent on older material "

need to rewrite that beast of sentence. it's not quite a run on, but it definitely doesn't convey the intended meaning well at all.

Overall, great job!
Thanks, was aware of it.
11:33 AM on 06/11/11
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
User Info.
I was going with the score on the front page, so Yes.

Thanks.
Didn't notice it said 50% there. That's odd.
08:28 AM on 06/12/11
emerson1892
COWABUNGA
User Info.
If anyone is just getting into these guys I recommend The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place or just watch any episode of Friday Night Lights. These dudes are solid and put one an amazing live show! I just got into them over the past year and there is really nothing better than putting on one of their albums and just doing what ever it is you need to do! Currently I'm unpacking my new apt and have Earth playing as my background music.
08:31 AM on 06/12/11
emerson1892
COWABUNGA
User Info.
Explosions' beauty is in their simplicity. When they try to add too many odd samples, irrelevant instrumentation, and skewed time signatures, then the wagon veers too far off the path. They managed to make some fantastic music with Take Care, but it's still not as remotely compelling as their 2003 opus The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place. "Your Hand in Mine" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, and they set the bar extremely high with it. Unfortunately, they may not ever be able to match the quality they recorded several years ago.
I read your post after I posted mine and agree with you 100%! I've been looking for the alternate version of this, I'm pretty sure it's the theme song to the tv show FNL, but I can't seem to find it anywhere!
09:07 AM on 06/12/11
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I read your post after I posted mine and agree with you 100%! I've been looking for the alternate version of this, I'm pretty sure it's the theme song to the tv show FNL, but I can't seem to find it anywhere!
Not sure of the theme song for the TV show FNL, but Explosions scored the soundtrack for the movie, though. "Your Hand in Mine" was one of the tracks they used for the film.
10:56 AM on 06/12/11
emerson1892
COWABUNGA
User Info.
Not sure of the theme song for the TV show FNL, but Explosions scored the soundtrack for the movie, though. "Your Hand in Mine" was one of the tracks they used for the film.
I just did some research and found the theme it's by Snuffy Walden, I really thought it was by EITS!
06:04 AM on 07/12/11
JordanGee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Brilliant album again it was. Thought your review was a bit harsh.
02:32 AM on 07/13/11
PeeDster
@alextranslantic
User Info.
Brilliant album again it was. Thought your review was a bit harsh.
Looking back on it, I feel like I was being generous.
09:47 AM on 08/09/11
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Looking back on it, I feel like I was being generous.
Lol'd.

I think it's a fair score.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests