AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Nurses - Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down Album Cover

Nurses - Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down

Reviewed by
Nurses - Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down
Releases May 15th, 2006 (available online now)
Sargent House

Who?

They toured with RX Bandits in 2005, and in 2006 Nurses finished recording their full length. The quartet has made a journey from Idaho to California on a trek through homelessness, bill collectors, and the unknown. Their sound is math rock's catchy and poppy sister-in-law.

How Is It?

Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down is a evidence that Nurses have spent plenty of time tending (or nursing) their most impressive ailment : creativity.

Hangin' Nothin' But Our Hands Down is a parallel universe of film noir, cirucses, and vaudeville shows. It's a soap opera for the intelligent ear. Each song has a charm and mystery of its own, embodied in catchy lyrics, foot tapping drums, quirky riffs, stumbling bass lines and spazing vocals. Harnessed with interesting time signatures and engaging shifts in tempo, the album has variety and vigor.

A picture painted in paranoia, and manic ups and downs, the third song "Lots of Brass" is one of my favorites. Bass and drums drive the Nurses sound, and bellow strongly in this song. "Wait for a Safe Sign" is an engaging and experimental journey with a strong vocal hook. Each song is a single in itself, but the album as a whole is most impressive. A beautiful piece of work for a first attempt.

Creative sound and super creative packaging, everyone should be sure to pick this album up in 2007.

For listeners of: The Blood Brothers, RX Bandits, Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground, Q and Not the U,
This review is a user submitted review from abbietoeknee. You can see all of abbietoeknee's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
08:59 PM on 04/26/07
refusedchick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this band and this record. I saw them with RX Bandits and Finch but they did not sound like this, what an evolution. To me they are like arcade fire in a brawl with the Blood Brothers
06:33 PM on 04/27/07
Tom Good
Album Reviewer
User Info.
I actually like this band a lot. Good review.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos