AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Thieves - 05.27.11

Thieves - 05.27.11

Interviewed by
Thieves - 05.27.11The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Thieves (Austin, TX)
www.facebook.com/thievestx
www.Thievestx.com

Who are you and what do you do in the band?
Billy. I sing and play guitar.

How did you get your band name?
We wanted to be “thick as thieves”, but that was taken, so we settled on Thieves. It’s funny because “thick as thieves” would have had a really positive connotation, but now whenever people ask what our band name is, they just assume we’re a bunch of hoodlums. One time in Alabama a state trooper gave us a hard time after seeing our tour poster that said “THIEVES” in huge letters in our car window…we don’t advertise our name like that anymore on the road.

How did this band get started?
Chris, Nathan, and Andrew were in a southern metal/hardcore band called “The Cabaret” a few years back. A year before that, Chris and I were in a band called “Tomorrow’s Too Late” (this band was fronted by Jesse who now sings for “With The Punches”). After both of those bands broke up we all decided we wanted to play poppy stuff and aggressive stuff at the same time. A mixture of the heavier bands we were into at the time and the poppier, more hook oriented pop punk bands we grew up listening to. We went to a music lab that night and wrote a couple songs.

What bands are you influenced by?
This would be a huge list if I consulted everyone in my band, but I’ll throw some out. Blink 182, The Starting Line, Every Time I Die, Thrice, Cartel, Green Day, Weezer, The Bled, Between The Buried And Me, Circa Survive, Relient K, and on and on....

If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be?
Blink or Thrice

Best food to eat on tour?
Half of our band hates fast food, the other half loves Taco Bell. It’s a constant battle, trying to eat healthy on the road without spending a lot of money. We usually bring a ton of fruit and beef jerky and stuff like that. We’re also super interested in local food. Wherever we can try something new, as long as it isn’t too expensive, we’re there.

Why should people listen to your band?
We’re just trying to make the most uplifting music we can. Sometimes our songs come out kinda crazy and weird because we like to challenge ourselves, but we’re always trying to get them stuck in your head. You may love it, you may hate it.

If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Our boys Cory and Ricky at Vagabond Collective for putting out our album. Facebook.com/vagabondpro

Memorable tour experience?
We just recently played a basement show in Cincinnati. We’d never been that far from home before and it was packed. Everyone was going nuts and singing along. It was incredible. I’d seen videos of Thursday playing basements when I was 15 or so. Ever since then it’s been a dream of mine. That may seem silly to some people, but growing up in Texas, there are very few places for high school bands to play.

What does ap.net mean to you?
I’ve been reading ap.net since it started. It’s always been my newspaper, my zine, my everything. It’s the only publication I’ve read regularly since I found it so long ago. It’s unreal to me to see stuff about my band on here.

What is your favorite song to play?
Probably “One Reckless Year”, just because it’s got some really fast parts and some really heavy parts in it, plus a few technical things here and there. It’s just a really fun song to move around to.

What music reminds you of your childhood?
Green Day – Dookie
Nirvana – Nevermind
Weezer – Blue Album
Less Than Jake – Hello Rockview

If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
Flight and super strength, so I wouldn’t have to spend gas money on tour. I’d just carry our trailer through the clouds.

Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Not really. I usually spray some herbal voice stuff down my throat before I sing. Chris changes out of his jeans and into his pit shorts. That’s it, I think.

What is something that most fans don’t know about you?
A few of our songs are about partying, which we love to do, but when we are on the road, we’re not a party band at all. We just chill and focus on getting to the next show on time. We’re kinda slow. When we’re at home though, that’s a different story.

What is the assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it’s a place where your band could flourish?
I know certain bands that have a similar sound to us have had a lot of success on the radio. Blink, Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, etc…
As a singer I try really hard to create melodies with lyrics that resonate emotionally and get stuck in your head. If that’s what the radio is about then maybe we could flourish there. I guess that’s all up to the A&Rs.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I like to camp when I have a free weekend. Texas is hot but there are some beautiful lakes with awesome state parks. We camp quite often on the road too.

What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Chris can grow a beard a full beard overnight. It’s pretty crazy.

Any last words?
We just released our debut full length “Just Give It Up” on May 13th. You can get it on itunes or at thievestx.bigcartel.com. Also, we’re doing a 5 week east coast tour in August with With The Punches and Carridale. Check our facebook for dates!

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
09:48 AM on 06/09/11
dustman361
konstant boner.
User Info.
love these dudes.
12:29 PM on 06/09/11
rob_mylo
@itstherobster
User Info.
awesome band, awesome people.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE