AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Dear Hunter, The - The Color Spectrum Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.64
Musicianship 8.94
Lyrics 9.27
Production 9.59
Creativity 9.73
Lasting Value 9.58
Reviewer Tilt 9.31
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

Dear Hunter, The - The Color Spectrum

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (06/13/11)
The Dear Hunter - The Color Spectrum
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Record Label: Triple Crown Records

I find myself using the word timbre far too often in my reviews. But it's a word I personally don't see used more often. Easily replaceable, the word "colors" and the shades and moods the term paints in our heads in its association with listening to music is a hard feeling to shake. It's why some album covers are memorable and certain music goes with certain weather patterns and personal moods. When Casey Crescenzo said a few years back that The Dear Hunter would produce a series of EPs based on a color spectrum, we were all very curious to see the songwriter take on such a task. Initially we all thought the EPs would be spread out, but instead we have now received one big undertaking at one time.

What's fascinating about The Color Spectrum (and easily comparable to a contemporary like The Alchemy Index) is how expansive the quality of the records are in their execution. Simply put, not one color is similar to another one in the spectrum. I know it's what we would have expected, but not like this. The Dear Hunter's series of Acts has already proven Crescenzo's ability as a songwriter with a wide range of musical grasp, but The Color Spectrum's nine albums (four songs a piece all together clocking in at almost two and a half hours) showcase not only Crescenzo's consistent engineering talents, but the way he can hone in on particular moods and sounds. For what it's worth, once you delve into the project, there's going to be some EPs that you find more enjoyable than others (ie. I did not enjoy Air out of the four Indexes.)

For the most part, the spectrum of colors fall into three similar categories from beginning to end, so depending on what part of The Dear Hunter's catalog you favor, certain colors will probably be your favorites. For me, I've always loved The Dear Hunter's heavier side, so Black, Red and Orange are where the toe-tapping is at. Black is a distant, "post" sounding chamber of noise layered with electronics. Orange has a bluesy, southern twang to its swagger while Red (worked on with some members of Manchester Orchestra) has a definite 90s alt-rock, gritty feel to it. Red's tracks also point out how much outside influence (both the people and places that Crescenzo came in contact with while making this album) play the biggest role and a possible overall theme taken from the project itself.

A common soft side bleeds between the other two categories of the spectrums, but it's their executions that set them apart. Green harnesses piano and acoustic guitar ballads while Yellow and Blue harness the same relaxed feelings into a Midwestern folk feel and tropical oasis respectively. Then there's the third category of White, Violet and Indigo. Much like some of the orchestral patterns we've seen with Acts I and II, Violet sits as the most thematic in nature. Indigo is a stand-out with its impressive use of digital overlay and texture garnering as a polar favorite to the heavy end of the project that I personally favor. Opposite to Black's opening darken fear, White's shining exposition to the project with its angelic bells and uplifting nature closes out a thrilling ride.

Crescenzo's ability to even embark on something like this is incredible, and at the very least, fans and casual listeners should delve into the nine EPs just to find something that will stick out for them - because there is something for everyone on this one. Even though you'll find common threads between individual colors, each one still has its own reflective state of timbre and surrounding. At its very least, The Dear Hunter's Color Spectrum showcases that we sometimes forget that our tastes are very much reflective in the connection between us and our immediate surrounding forces of nature and personal nurture.

Track ListingBlack
1. Never Forgive, Never Forget
2. Filth And Squalor
3. Take More Than You Need
4. This Body*

Red
1. I Couldn't Do It Alone*
2. A Curse Of Cynicism
3. Deny It All
4. We've Got A Score To Settle

Orange
1. Echo
2. Stuck On A Wire, Out On The Fence
3. A Sea of Solid Earth*
4. But There's Wolves?

Yellow
1. She's Always Singing
2. The Dead Dont Starve
3. A Sua Voz*
4. Misplaced Devotion

Green
1. Things That Hide Away*
2. The Canopy
3. Crow And Cackle
4. The Inheritance

Blue
1. Tripping In Triplets
2. Trapdoor
3. What You Said
4. The Collapse Of The Great Tide Cliffs*

Indigo
1. What Time Taught Us*
2. Mandala
3. Progress
4. Therma

Violet
1. Mr. Malum
2. Lillian*
3. Too Late
4. Look Away

White
1. Home
2. Fall And Flee
3. No God*
4. Lost But Not All Gone

*favorite tracks

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 75.
10:57 AM on 06/13/11
vincelac
... and team Lucabomb can never die
User Info.
I am so excited to hide away and listen to this tomorrow.
11:02 AM on 06/13/11
runningohfive
I know...
User Info.
I really want to hears this. Good review.
11:11 AM on 06/13/11
drevans18
BLERG
User Info.
I'm really excited to listen to this.
11:27 AM on 06/13/11
Spartan789013
I should be proper for a change
User Info.
I can't wait til this comes in the mail.
11:36 AM on 06/13/11
sweepthenation
Vickadelphia
User Info.
Oh my god I just know I am going to fall in love with this
11:40 AM on 06/13/11
peder458
Shh! I'm Listening to Reason
User Info.
I liked the review a lot. I hope this album is as impressive as I think it will be!
11:56 AM on 06/13/11
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i've heard the 11 song version, but i want to hear the full spectrum
12:04 PM on 06/13/11
Saint Angeles
coulda been a contender
User Info.
Good observation about the Violet EP - just from listening to Lillian (over and over and over), I felt like that was the most "Dear Hunter" of the colors so far.

That being said... only had the sampler, and now I'm jonesin'.
12:14 PM on 06/13/11
coreysetfail
I Blue Myself.
User Info.
great review. short and to the point, i don't think anybody expected a rundown of all 36 tracks. i really can't wait for this to come in the mail. i plan on making some coffee and putting on each vinyl one at a time for a full listen-through. pumped. does anyone know when they're getting shipped out?
12:25 PM on 06/13/11
Portugal4142
@BrandonMir
User Info.
Really underwhelmed by the sampler.. discourages me from being excited about this... still want to listen to hear everything tho.
12:28 PM on 06/13/11
gonfreaks
User Info.
This has been one of my most anticipated for a while, even more so after hearing the single disc sampler version. I wasn't an enormous fan of Act III but everything else this band has done is gold so I have no doubts that I'll love most of this. Black, Violet and White are probably the EPs I want to hear the most.
12:28 PM on 06/13/11
AdamChildress
Wondrous Oblivion.
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really really want to listen to this.
12:33 PM on 06/13/11
snoboardnfreek
rockin' out
User Info.
great review. short and to the point, i don't think anybody expected a rundown of all 36 tracks. i really can't wait for this to come in the mail. i plan on making some coffee and putting on each vinyl one at a time for a full listen-through. pumped. does anyone know when they're getting shipped out?
i got an email on friday that it was electronically notified for shipping, so hopefully it comes in tomorrow! i'm so pumped for it
12:38 PM on 06/13/11
jdr277
I got a lion in my pocket I'm lying
User Info.
I think from Black-Yellow will be my favorite but then it might slow down to much... so far only dislike Indigo songs so we will see.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests