Password

Album Review

The Wombats - This Modern Glitch Album Cover

The Wombats - This Modern Glitch

Reviewed by
The WombatsThis Modern Glitch
Release Date: April 26, 2011
Record Label: Bright Antenna Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When The Wombats released A Guide To Love, Loss, And Desperation in 2007, they released a brilliant, shiny pop record with hooks laden all over and spit-shined English vocals that made for one of the most fun records of that year. The Wombats return to the same style with This Modern Glitch, but to a much lesser grade of success and a much greater feeling of overall blandness.

The group’s 2007 debut full-length had several outstanding numbers – from the dancey “Kill The Director” to the even dancier “School Uniforms” and “Let’s Dance To Joy Division” to the slightly less dancey but slightly more serious “Moving To New York – but This Modern Glitch has no songs that even compare to those genius pop singles. There are a few that come close, like the sickeningly catchy “Techno Fan,” but on the whole the record falls flat on its face.

Three singles, “Tokyo (Vampires and Wolves),” “Jump Into The Fog” and “Anti-D,” were released before the record came out but only “Jump Into The Fog” holds a candle to the success of the last record. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that The Wombats didn’t change their sound in any big ways – the production and mixing sound more or less the same, the vocals still carry an audible sheen and the music is still lighthearted with strings and keyboards to buoy it.

But despite sticking to their proven formula, the group comes up well short with This Modern Glitch. The record is fine to listen to if you’re playing it in the background while engaging in some other attention-consuming activity, but only due to the fact that it’s well-produced and sounds pleasing. Aside from a thin outer veil, This Modern Glitch is a disappointment from a band who most listeners were probably only hoping to get a few catchy singles from.

Recommended If You LikeGenerically catchy pop music.
Follow Me On TwitterTweet, tweet.
Bare Essentials1. Our Perfect Disease
2. Tokyo (Vampires and Wolves)
3. Jump Into The Fog
4. Anti-D
5. Last Night I Dreamt...
6. Techno Fan
7. 1996
8. Walking Disasters
9. Girls/Fast Cars
10. Schumacher The Champion
Run Time: 40.5 minutes
Star Rating: 2 out of 5 Stars
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:11 PM on 06/13/11
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
damn. cause i loved their first one. :(
12:19 AM on 06/14/11
ljmorris
User Info.
7/10
12:34 AM on 06/14/11
dumpweed41
User Info.
I couldn't disagree more. Their debut had a bunch of catchy songs that wore thin very, very quickly. This Modern Glitch has so much more staying power.

I will say it took a listen or two to get into though.
01:23 AM on 06/14/11
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I really really enjoy this. Techo Fan is one of my favourite songs of the year. Way too catchy
05:20 AM on 06/14/11
pukem0n
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this took a few listens to get into, but then you appreciate every song more.
Techno Fan is just a great song. period.
06:44 AM on 06/14/11
E=MCHAMMER
bottled
User Info.
Probably won't check this out, loved the singles from the first album but the rest of the album was dire.
06:55 AM on 06/14/11
blinkme
Sinatra blue
User Info.
I personally think that 'Anti-D' is the best song they've ever released. The album is forgettable, though.
09:29 AM on 06/14/11
zman444
kew d00d
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I'm not sure I understand the criticisms here. I found this album and band for that matter by chance via this album and have been stuck on it ever since. I'm probably one of the few that have yet to hear the debut, but still, I think this is a fantastic album.
01:06 PM on 06/14/11
boere123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
aaaah no1 agrees with the reviewer!! dont know if I should check this out...PS: whens that Story so Far review coming??
01:32 PM on 06/14/11
MBIIdollaBill
die young and save yourself
User Info.
have to check out the first one, i heard one of their songs and I was impressed. and im assuming it was from the first album
01:50 PM on 06/14/11
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
No love for "Tokyo (Vampires & Wolves"?
Love that track.
07:04 PM on 06/14/11
MXP
aka Max Phillips
User Info.
Whole album's awesome!!!! Top 5 album of 2011 so far IMO.
10:52 AM on 06/15/11
corybear
Carucage Records
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their first album was absolutely incredible. It was one of the most impressive garage pop albums I've heard in so long. This album was different, but it still has staying power. I just wish they wouldn't have added all of the synth. They're the Wombats, all they need is their talent for writing songs!
03:55 PM on 06/18/11
Jordan0123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I think closer to 85% would be fair, it's a really catchy and infectious album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos