Album Review
Sanctity - Road to Bloodshed Album Cover

Sanctity - Road to Bloodshed

Reviewed by
Sanctity - Road to Bloodshed
Release Date: April 24, 2007
Record Label: Roadrunner
Listen at Myspace

I first came to know of this band when I went to see Protest the Hero with Trivium and The Sword. Sanctity played first. This band, on the outside, is the normal, everyday metal/thrash band of the 90's complete with a charismatic lead singer/guitarist in a tee-shirt and torn jeans, much like the spoof movie, Airheads. From the bass player doing a nice middle finger showing for the entire crowd to beginning a song by asking us to "join our brotherhood of destruction," this band had one purpose: to rock. And unlike the songs in Airheads, this band does rock. Hard. Next comes the release of their debut album, Road to Bloodshed.

With obvious influences of bands like Pantera, Slayer, and Megadeth, this band mixes many sounds to make a truly complete album that could appeal to fans of many types of metal. The vocal styles of Jared MaCeachern range from throaty shouts and to melodic and the occasion high Judas Priest-esque metal scream. The drumming is top notch throughout the album as well as the guitars, which feature many technical rhythms and "face melting" solos. The lyrics run along the lines of typical angst-filled metal and fit with the music and rhythms well.

The album rocks hard all the way through, starting with "Beneath the Machine," which is quite representative of the album's sound. Fast tempos, technical rhythms, furious drumwork, and blazing guitars are present all throughout this album. Sanctity do manage to mix the real heavy rough vocals with some impressive melodies that seem to make the choruses anthem-like and compliment the rest of the song well.

On the outside, this band may appear to be an average metal/thrash band, but if you look closely at their songs and musicianship, you will find something more.

Key Tracks: "Beneath the Machine," "Road to Bloodshed," "Zeppo," and "Flatline"

Tracklist
1. Beneath the Machine
2. Brotherhood of Destruction
3. Road to Bloodshed
4. Laws of Reason
5. Billy Seals
6. Zeppo
7. Beloved Killer
8. The Shape of Things
9. Flatline
10. The Rift Between
11. Seconds
12. Once Again
This review is a user submitted review from mr chainsaw. You can see all of mr chainsaw's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
06:07 PM on 04/25/07
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i also saw these guys open for trivium and the sword - they were awful. But, hearing good things i decided to give this a listen. it is one of the most generic, boring, uninspired metal albums i have ever heard.

sanctity has got the generic sound, stage moves, and style of every other band in the genre but can't right a decent song to save their lives. horrible.
07:33 PM on 04/25/07
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
i also saw these guys open for trivium and the sword - they were awful. But, hearing good things i decided to give this a listen. it is one of the most generic, boring, uninspired metal albums i have ever heard.

sanctity has got the generic sound, stage moves, and style of every other band in the genre but can't right a decent song to save their lives. horrible.

I have to disagree with you, but at least you gave them a second chance.
08:06 PM on 04/25/07
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it was good to see a well written metal review on this site for a change, keep em coming.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos