Password

Album Review

Of Mice & Men - The Flood Album Cover

Of Mice & Men - The Flood

Reviewed by
Of Mice & Men - The Flood
Record Company: Rise Records
Release Date: June 14, 2011
When I listened to Of Mice & Men’s self-titled debut album, I was impressed with how the band executed in a genre (and record label) famous for chug-chugly genericore and, for the first time in history, Austin Carlile’s oft-overbearing high-pitched scream. While not a breath of fresh air in the slightest sense, the record had its moments of pure awesomeness, not to mention some above average clean vocals from Shayley Bourget. With their second album, boringly named The Flood, the band has slipped into the same trap that a lot of their label mates seem to fall victim to: mediocrity.

While not nearly as bad as anything Carlile ever did with his previous band Attack Attack!, there’s just too much here that’s been done and done (and beaten to death) by other acts. Breakdowns that have no merit or purpose, no progression instrumentally, and the tracks begin to bleed together after a couple listens. Bourget’s clean vocals are still the best thing here, especially on tracks like “My Understandings” and closer “When You Can’t Sleep at Night” where he carries the entire song. The latter is a wonderfully done acoustic number, while the former feels more like an interlude than anything.

The album does contain a few notable heavy songs, though. “Let Live” is the closest the album truly gets to their self-titled, featuring an undeniably catchy chorus and impressive screams from Carlile. “Still YDG’n” hardly lives up to “YDG” but it’s not necessarily a wasted track. Bourget brings a needed balance to the overly uneven song. “Ben Threw” and “I’m A Monster” sound almost identical, the latter sounding like an early excerpt from the former, while most of the other tracks blend together for one big mess of blandness.

Of Mice & Men’s sophomoric attempt falls short, but it will probably be a general fan favorite, much like Attack Attack!’s self-titled. It’s not even that it’s a bad album (it’s mostly a straight-forward post-hardcore release without all the electronic bullshit, much like Like Moths to Flames’ EP). What really makes it disappointing is the potential talent in every single one of these musicians, the same talent they somewhat showed on their debut, is buried so deep in generic, recycled riffs and ridiculous breakdowns.

Much like Memphis May Fire, I foresee the band falling further and further into heavier and heartless music simply made to sell records to the unthinking masses and the head banging 16-year-old boys. It may be better than the likes of Asking Alexandria, Breathe Carolina, and company, but that’s not saying a whole lot, and it’s hardly impressive coming from a band that should be making genre-defining music by now.

Recommended If You LikeRise Records, Memphis May Fire - The Hollow, Like Moths to Flames

Solid TracksMy Understandings, Let Live, When You Can't Sleep at Night

Of Mice & Men's Myspace
Buy It
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 28
03:45 PM on 06/19/11
cubine
www.facebook.com/truthunderattack
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is a massive improvement from the self-titled. They're definitely a total Rise-core band (always have been) but they've carved out an undeniably unique niche within that genre. Austin's screams have gotten much, MUCH better. They're less shrill and he employs a wider range, along with some pretty cool effects like the total super sayan moment near the start of Still YDG'n. The instrumentals are all significantly more interesting/technical, and this is probably Joey Sturgis's best production effort ever. For once, the bass sounds great on a metalcore record.

I liked the self-titled but every song sounded exactly the same with a few exceptions, and now they've expanded their writing significantly. Ben Threw has everything from Lamb of God riffs to hardcore-style power chord wailing, Purified shows that they can pull of more than the typical metalcore chord progressions, and although there are a ton of breakdowns, a lot of them incorporate more than just basic chugs (although there are plenty of those, don't get me wrong).

They've always had better-than-average lyrics for a metalcore band, too. There's no Second and Sebring but OHIOISONFIRE is pretty damn good. OHIO's probably the best song on the record.

Well-written review though. There are a lot of good points and this album definitely isn't without its problems.
04:27 PM on 06/19/11
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I gotta disagree. The Flood is ten times better than the debut. The debut all sounded the same pretty much (basically because Sturgis wrote it), but this is a more cohesive effort and they actually had time to write it. Austin and Shayley are at their best and you could definitely see the improvements. Plus, the bass sounds killer on this!
04:51 PM on 06/19/11
Davewinnie
User Info.
It's a step in the right direction for them, but it's nothing new. It just seems as if the only thing they know how to play as far as structure of songs are breakdowns and that itself isn't so great. I don't like the clean vocals. Too much distortion and effects, it doesn't sound real. OHHH! and they loveeee to build up those breakdowns don't they? if you see them live, they pause before a breakdown probably after 2 songs.
05:27 PM on 06/19/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
This is a massive improvement from the self-titled. They're definitely a total Rise-core band (always have been) but they've carved out an undeniably unique niche within that genre. Austin's screams have gotten much, MUCH better. They're less shrill and he employs a wider range, along with some pretty cool effects like the total super sayan moment near the start of Still YDG'n. The instrumentals are all significantly more interesting/technical, and this is probably Joey Sturgis's best production effort ever. For once, the bass sounds great on a metalcore record.

I liked the self-titled but every song sounded exactly the same with a few exceptions, and now they've expanded their writing significantly. Ben Threw has everything from Lamb of God riffs to hardcore-style power chord wailing, Purified shows that they can pull of more than the typical metalcore chord progressions, and although there are a ton of breakdowns, a lot of them incorporate more than just basic chugs (although there are plenty of those, don't get me wrong).

They've always had better-than-average lyrics for a metalcore band, too. There's no Second and Sebring but OHIOISONFIRE is pretty damn good. OHIO's probably the best song on the record.

Well-written review though. There are a lot of good points and this album definitely isn't without its problems.
You make some interesting points. Maybe I just set my bar too high for this record. Haha.
06:16 PM on 06/19/11
YouBlindMe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The Flood is one of the few albums I purchased this year. Their self titled was one of my favorite albums in the genre ever. So I felt like I had to buy their sophomore album. I had super high expectations for this album. After hearing the first single "Still YDG'n". I knew that I wasn't going to be disappointed. On this album Austin and the band went back to work as if nothing happened over the past year. I'm no going to do a track by track review but:

Best Songs:
Still YDG'n
O.G. Loko
My Understandings

Worst Song:
Ben Threw
06:51 PM on 06/19/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
just because it is better than their last attempt at music, doesn't make it good.

its still just really generic and ok at best
07:43 PM on 06/19/11
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
Pretty blown away anyone thinks is "Way Better" than their debut. I wasn't let down by this but I definitely wasn't happy.
08:03 PM on 06/19/11
XenoLovegood
But you couldn't last a lifetime
User Info.
Is Austin the one singing on Ben Threw? It doesn't sound like Shayley to me. If it is Austin, he should do some more cleans cause it sounds pretty good.
08:56 PM on 06/19/11
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is Austin the one singing on Ben Threw? It doesn't sound like Shayley to me. If it is Austin, he should do some more cleans cause it sounds pretty good.

Yeah it's Austin.
08:58 PM on 06/19/11
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Best Songs:
OHIOISONFIRE
Ben Threw
Let Live

Worst Song:
Product of a Murderer

Fixed.
09:01 PM on 06/19/11
YouBlindMe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I do like those songs except Ben threw. I don't know why. It not horrible just not as good as the rest.
09:05 PM on 06/19/11
cubine
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I do like those songs except Ben threw. I don't know why. It not horrible just not as good as the rest.
yeah it's not their most quality song but i just enjoy that it's something pretty different for them, but not in the typical "oh this is way more melodic" way.
09:06 PM on 06/19/11
YouBlindMe
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
yeah it's not their most quality song but i just enjoy that it's something pretty different for them, but not in the typical "oh this is way more melodic" way.
Yeah I agree. Of Mice & Men really doesn't have any bad songs.
09:08 PM on 06/19/11
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
Memphis May Fires album had much more musicality than this cd. Progressions, variation in timing, good use of pentatonic scales, etc. This cd was just as generic as the last. To me, it doesn't seem like a good recommendation at all.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos