AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Vanna - And They Came Baring Bones Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.79
Musicianship 8.33
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.71
Creativity 8.13
Lasting Value 8.42
Reviewer Tilt 8.04
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Vanna - And They Came Baring Bones

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (06/19/11)
VannaAnd They Came Baring Bones
Record Label: Artery Recordings
Release Date: June 21, 2011

It’s been a bumpy road for Vanna the past two years. Since their 2009 sophomore effort, A New Hope, the band has experienced what could have been crippling changes. Parting ways with vocalist Chris Preece, they picked up Davey Muise (of Seeker Destroyer) as his replacement. Following this alteration, they switched from their home at Epitaph Records to a place at Artery Recordings. In 2010, the first taste of these changes came with The Honest Hearts EP, which proved that the change in vocalists wouldn’t hurt the band at all, as Muise sounds remarkably similar to Preece.

Now a year later, Vanna have returned with their third full-length record, And They Came Baring Bones. Being their first record since switching screamers and labels, it seems to pick up right where A New Hope – or rather The Honest Hearts – left off, as not a lot has changed in the music or vocal department, despite what fans may have expected. As the record begins, “Black Bones” fires off with Muise’s guttural roar sounding over the deafening The Chariot-esque guitars of Nicholas Lambert and Evan Pharmakis. From the start it’s clear that this is the same Vanna as ever, only stronger – both vocally and musically – than before.

After the chaos that is “Black Bones” ends, “I, The Remover” picks up right where the opener left off, only this time showing off the clean vocals of Pharmakis over the dominating drums of Chris Campbell. “History on Repeat,” “Silver Sun,” and “I, The Collector” are each short dosages of absolute chaos, dominated by wild screaming, while “Breathing at the Bottom” features a balance between clean singing and ferocious screaming. On the other hand, “Scarlet Shroud” begins with soft guitars and Pharmakis’ soft vocal delivery before Muise cuts in, making it the most dynamic number on the record thus far.

Back breaking drumming dominates “Eyes Like the Tides,” proving the skill of Campbell behind the kit. After this penultimate track ends, listeners expect another frenzied track to close the record; however, the final “White Light” begins as the antithesis of this thought. The closer features echoed guitars and Muise and Pharmakis each playing off one another vocally, creating the most emotional, memorable moments of And They Came Baring Bones. As the track picks up, pure fury takes over and the screams are absolutely controlling of the track, ending the record on the best note possible. As the record ends, one thing is certain: despite all the changes and the rollercoaster the band has been on the past two years, And They Came Baring Bones is without a doubt Vanna’s best effort to date.

Recommended If You LikeThe Chariot; The Honest Hearts EP; Bring Me The Horizon’s There Is A Hell…

Listen ToScarlet Shroud; I, The Collector; White Light

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Black Bones
2. I, The Remover
3. History on Repeat
4. Breathing at the Bottom
5. Scarlet Shroud
6. Passages
7. Silver Sun
8. I, The Collector
9. Careless Men Lead Careless Lives
10. Eyes Like the Tides
11. White Light

Vanna are:
Davey Muise – Vocals
Nicholas Lambert – Guitar
Evan Pharmakis – Guitar, Clean Vocals, Piano
Shawn Marquis – Bass, Vocals
Chris Campbell – Drums

Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 37.
05:00 PM on 06/19/11
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Good review. I enjoy me some Vanna. Looking forward to this.
05:21 PM on 06/19/11
soadjaeger
User Info.
Was the "a nope hope" a jab or a typo
08:52 PM on 06/19/11
eaglejak
Exhale you, inhale the rest
User Info.
Was the "a nope hope" a jab or a typo
Surely a typo.
08:59 PM on 06/19/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Typo ha thanks
10:07 PM on 06/19/11
johnnyferris
5 LARGE PIZZAS
User Info.
I'll be checking this out.
10:21 PM on 06/19/11
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Record is now streaming on facebook
11:33 PM on 06/19/11
rushour144
User Info.
This is worth FAR more than a 78%. The progression they have gone through to get to where they are at is incredible. They are doing their own thing that is like a mix between old Vanna (Curses), The Chariot, and Alexisonfire (Watch Out! era).

The end product of "ATCBB" is so fresh!

I wish it was a tad longer, but every track is solid beyond belief! Definitely my favorite album of 2011 so far!
01:43 AM on 06/20/11
mayday
houston, we have a problem.
User Info.
You had me at "The Chariot-esque." Solid review.
04:44 AM on 06/20/11
Spencer Control
Now we are all sons of bitches
User Info.
So excited to stream this.
04:57 AM on 06/20/11
InfiniteArms
Best Western Beat
User Info.
I want me some VANNA! Good review is good
06:40 AM on 06/20/11
tylerg220
User Info.
I feel like this is pretty harsh (the scoring of it), but not a bad review. Can't wait to check out the album.
06:43 AM on 06/20/11
incognitojones
http://auburn-hills.tumblr.com
User Info.
I'll check it out. Just waiting to hear about a shitty local band called I, the Remover.
07:12 AM on 06/20/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
I'll check it out. Just waiting to hear about a shitty local band called I, the Remover.
it will be the next rise band, i give it 3 months
07:15 AM on 06/20/11
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
...and did anyone else get the feeling the center on the album artwork looks like a swastika.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests